PDA

View Full Version : DCA... No Comment.

Pages : [1] 2

Not Afraid
12-11-2003, 01:23 PM
For those of you that think DCA is neither wonderful nor an insult, post your ambivilance here.

CoasterMatt
12-11-2003, 01:34 PM
I'm pretty indifferent...

I can't recall the last time I entered DCA, and probably won't go back until ToT opens.

cstephens
12-11-2003, 01:35 PM

Andrew
12-11-2003, 01:43 PM
I'm basically "eh..." on DCA. It's not horrible, it's not great. It's new and different, and that does make it interesting to me at a time when I am so totally familiar with everything at Disneyland that I find myself getting bored.

Jennifer loves loves loves Soarin', where I am kind of ambivalent. It's very cool ride technology but not really good for more than one ride, for me. She also loves Screamin', which I rode for the first and last time on Saturday.

A Bug's Land is cute. The rides are pretty sad but the decor is well done. With the addition of the Hollywood Tower Hotel looming overhead, it really does make you feel bug-sized. I went into "it's tough to be a bug" for the first time on Saturday and except for the annoying spray and mist which messed up my glasses, enjoyed it. I'd skipped it on previous visits and also at Animal Kingdom because of my serious aversion (almost phobic) to insects, but was assured by the CM outside that there are no "realistic" bugs inside the theater.

We also saw Aladdin for the first time. This is a darned good show with very talented performers. I look forward to seeing it again.

I haven't been very impressed by the restaurants at DCA. Ariel's was overpriced and average. The outdoor patio place formerly known as Mondavi was overpriced and average. Pizza Oom Mow whatever was pretty good, and I still haven't managed to try a corn dog. I like the shakes from Sam Andreas' when it's open, and the hot dogs from the place in Hollywood Pictures Backlot.

Doodle Duck
12-11-2003, 02:48 PM
How else does one spell ambivilant...'eh'...whatever...it's FREE if you have a pass...it used to be the Parking Lot if you don't.

Bill Catherall
12-11-2003, 03:09 PM
Ooooo, a thread for me. I don't mind it, but I don't have any fondness for it. It can stay, I'll visit it occasionally, but I'd rather be in Disneyland. It can go, change, get better, whatever. I imagine it can get worse (see anything owned by Six Flags), but it's not up to what I consider to be Disney standards.

There are many things I like about it. There are just as many things I dislike about it.

Meh.

miss_sonja
12-11-2003, 03:21 PM
Just got back from 5 days at the DLR. Last time I went, I was 7 months pregnant and couldn't go on any of the 'fast' rides at DCA. This time, the baby was 5 months old and happy to hang out with dad or grandpa while I rode the rides.

For me, what DCA lacks are the lovely themed rides that DL has. Aside from Grizzly River Run, Soarin' and Bug's Land, there aren't any totally immersive themed rides (TOT should help to balance it, but still). What I love about DL are the rides that pull you into a story, like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and the dark rides in Fantasyland. Even the Matterhorn has theming and a story.

DCA tried with Mullholland Madness, but to me there's not enough there. IT's just a jerky almost-coaster. Screamin' is a *great* coaster, but it's just that--a coaster.

As for food, we've enjoyed the Pacific Wharf cafe--the one with bread bowl soup & salad--very tasty, fresh food. And the bread is awesome! I save the 'bowl' to munch later in the day; it's too much to eat all at once. The Mexican food was just so-so--that icky cheez sauce served with the nachos was kind of gross. Not nearly as good at DL's Rancho del Zocolo.

miss_sonja
12-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Doodle Duck
How else does one spell ambivilant...'eh'...whatever...it's FREE if you have a pass...it used to be the Parking Lot if you don't.

My joke on our recent trip "DCA...it's better than a parking lot!"

zapppop
12-11-2003, 04:06 PM
It would've made more money as a parking lot.

:|

Darkbeer
12-11-2003, 04:19 PM
Think how much money they could have saved (at least a 1/2 million!!!) if they just reopened the Monorail Bar instead of DCA, and the Beer Truck, the Wine Tasting, and the big favorite... the COVE BAR...

Plus, it would have kept the Monorail ridership numbers up.....:fez:

Ghoulish Delight
12-11-2003, 04:47 PM
Yeah. As a park, divorced from the fact that it's a symbol of much that is wrong with the company, I don't despise it. But I don't love it. I go, I find things to do that are enjoyable. And it's the one place in the world I think that even I find more palatable at Christmas (the surf Santa area has brought life to the otherwise quiet, dead Sunshine Plaza). But I certainly wouldn't pay to get in. If it's available, I'll go get my tortilla and beer (mmm, Karl Strauss midnight whatever...LOVE that stuff). Otherwise, you'll find me in Disneyland. Although, if DUH is there, that'll draw me over!

Cadaverous Pallor
12-11-2003, 04:55 PM

Say it with me in Valley-speak......WHAT-ever!

lindyhop
12-11-2003, 07:35 PM
I enjoy it there when I go but I don't even remember the last time I got over there. I just don't think of it, or if I do it's closed already.

That said, I love the Orange Stinger, Mulholland Madness, Pizza Oom Mow Mow, and Bur-r-r Bank Ice Cream.

hazlnut
12-11-2003, 08:34 PM
It doesn't suck. But it feels like a work in progress.

Love the hotel!! They got that right.

GoldenEars
12-11-2003, 08:49 PM
From the very beginning, I knew DCA was NOT going to be anything like Disneyland. And because of that, I had no high expectations on how the new Park was going to be.

And here it is, almost 3 years later and I still love DCA! I like the idea that it's very different and unique. I find myself going there more than Disneyland. And I think that's because it's still new and fresh to me. I honestly believe that DCA is a constant work in progress and each year will get better and better.

When I want fantasy and nostalgia, I'll go to Disneyland. Otherwise, I go to DCA when I want new and contemporary.

Patrick

Not Afraid
12-11-2003, 08:57 PM
No comment.;)

Cadaverous Pallor
12-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
No comment.;) Don't you mean :| ?

:p

The Mouse Is Back
12-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by zapppop
It would've made more money as a parking lot.

Grrrrrrrr. Now you're putting me in a fightin' mood.

Every time I walk across to DCA from DL, I remember how great the old parking lot was. The trams to and from each section, how great was that? The resort hotels don't even have tram service from their own properties any more - I have been informed "we are a 'walking' resort'", i.e., screw you if you think your many dollars in room rates, fees, parking and taxes will score you a little ride over to the front gate.

Double grrrrrrrrr!!!!

Anyway...back to the OP...DCA is okay, but only just. I don't hate it, I don't love it, my daughter likes some of it. I wouldn't pay to get into it, but since I don't have to pay, it doesn't bother me too much. But that LOUD LOUD LOUD MUSIC really gets on my nerves.

-Allegra-

Demigod121
12-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by cstephens:

I agree.

-Demigod

mystycalchyk
12-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Whoa. I truly had not seen this post when I just posted here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23095&perpage=25&pagenumber=4)

*settles in to the thread and it feels like home*

eh

Mommy2NicknMax
12-13-2003, 02:23 AM
I was at the parks last week and I don't love it and I don't hate it. When we were there in August we had the kids with us. They were to young to enjoy most things there. So this time I thought "hey it's just me, I can ride everything." Well I got there first thing Saturday morning and watched the "crowd" wait to enter the rest of the park (most were heading to the roller coaster). The "crowd" was that of about 30 people. I was shocked. I walked right on to just about everything. I was done by 12:00 and left the park for DL. It seems like a park with some potentional but just needs "more". It's seriously lacking in the attractions department. Next time we're in the area I think we'll be skipping DCA altogether.

dude
12-13-2003, 12:40 PM
I only have one good reason for going to DCA every Sunday: Millionaire. That is the most entertaining thing there. Soarin' and GRR and Screamin' are fun, but once you've been on them, you've been on them. Millioaire is different each show. Plus you can win a free* cruise there. Without Millionaire, I would probably never set foot in DCA again**.

*You still have to pay taxes on the cruise if you win because they report it as income.

**When ToT opens, this statement may change, depending on what ToT is like.

Omar
12-13-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by dude
I only have one good reason for going to DCA every Sunday: Millionaire. That is the most entertaining thing there. Soarin' and GRR and Screamin' are fun, but once you've been on them, you've been on them. Millioaire is different each show. Plus you can win a free* cruise there. Without Millionaire, I would probably never set foot in DCA again**.

*You still have to pay taxes on the cruise if you win because they report it as income.

**When ToT opens, this statement may change, depending on what ToT is like.

I completely agree with exactly what dude said. Millionaire is the best thing there. I go to it to. I love that show and it is never the same. I have seen Ray Ramano there. I thought that was so cool because I used to watch his show. I catch it sometimes now.

Once ToT opens I will do something different than just Millionaire, all 5 shows. Even though I will never abandon that show as long as it is open.

Omar

EandCDad
12-13-2003, 01:06 PM
I'm a cynical, hard-hearted grouch without an ounce of child-like wonder in my bones (I'm saving merlinjones the trouble of saying it about me, should he read this.) I'm the opposite of all those who find joy and magic in a theme park. Weep for me.

That said, I tend to look at the Disneyland Resort as a total package and compare it to just Disneyland and a parking lot. I currently pay $600 a year for Disneyland Resort Annual Passes (cripes! that's a lot). For that I get unlimited access to Disneyland and DCA. I'm assuming that the Annual Passes wouldn't be that much cheaper if just Disneyland existed. So, for basically the same price, I can spend time at both places, enjoy the things that my family enjoys in DL (Fantasyland, Christmas stuff, Pirates, the occassional coaster, Autopia, the characters) and the things at DCA that we like (Soarin', GRR, Anamation Building, Muppets, Aladdin show, Bugs Land, Redwood Trail, Triton's Carousel). I match that up against what I pay, versus what I would pay if were just Disneyland and a parking lot and I feel I'm better off. More to do, more area to enjoy. More things to see.

I'm sure a good argument can be made that Disneyland would be spruced up if they had the money not going to the DCA sinkhole. Maybe, or maybe my daughter would get a bigger dividend on her 10 shares of stock.

I could live with never going to DCA, but, then again, I could live with never going to DL, too.

MMFan
12-13-2003, 01:08 PM
An Old Saying: If you don't have anything positive to say, don't say anything at all

The Really Good Things About DCA:

----------------------------------------------------------------

And, finally, last but not least: