PDA

View Full Version : Sending gifts to Cast Members

Pages : [1] 2

Photographer
12-11-2003, 08:34 AM
I was thinking that I'd like to extend my thanks to a few Cast Members who've made my Disneyland visits extra fun. Does anyone know how one can go about sending gifts to them? Someone like Maynard whose last name I don't know...

Any ideas? :) Thanks!

Morrigoon
12-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Awkward. Best way is directly to the CMs hands, not through the company. B/C of co. policy they might not get to keep it. I'm sure you can send Maynard fan mail okay, but I highly doubt gifts.

Photographer
12-11-2003, 08:55 AM
I can't hand deliver anything, I moved to MA. I don't think giving someone a small token of appreciation is awkward. I worked in CA for 3 years in a camera shop and customers gave me gifts because they appreciated my advice and service.

Demigod121
12-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Actually, company policy discourages CMs accepting gifts from guests. But if you insist strongly enough, you'd probably get away with it.

You'd probably do better to write DL management a letter about the CMs stating your feelings.

-Demigod

cstephens
12-11-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Photographer
I can't hand deliver anything, I moved to MA. I don't think giving someone a small token of appreciation is awkward.

It might not be for you, but it might be for the CM. I don't know how comfortable I would feel getting a gift from a total stranger. And awkwardness aside, it might be against company policy. I know that in the company I work for, there are very strict guidelines about what gifts can and cannot be received.

As an alternate idea, perhaps you could send a snail mail letter to Disney detailing how great each of these CMs were. Hopefully, those letters will make their way to the right people, including the CMs themselves.

Photographer
12-11-2003, 10:47 AM
I wasn't aware that Disney discouraged this. I will send letters instead. Thanks for the idea.

Loric
12-11-2003, 11:29 AM
Company policy for in-park CMs.

They must refuse the gift 3 times, accept on the 4th, if monetary surrender the gift immediately to the company and have the proceeds given to a charity of their choice, if not monetary, the item will be assesed for value and that value will be given to the CM's chairty of choice.

Loric
12-11-2003, 11:40 AM
In all honesty...

CMs really like getting guest mail saying they had a goiod experience with them. The company makes a big deal out of it for them (depending on the management team) and it goes into their records.

There are actually CM awards given out based on guest-mail and such. It makes CMs happy to know someone noticed their efforts.

Some of my most prized possesions from wrking for Disney are the notes of recognition from the company and the hoopla my management team made over it.

cutelittleartist
12-11-2003, 03:16 PM
I accepted gifts as a former cast member. I didn't find it awkward.

It's a touching compliment to know I made a guests trip. And to know they thought of me in such high regard.

spectromen
12-12-2003, 08:29 AM
For several years in the early 90s there was the sweetest old couple who watched almost every parade daily without fail. They were so cute, they would clap to the music (sometimes off beat, but that's ok!) and wave and blow kisses to everyone they liked. It was just precious. They mailed a Christmas card addressed, simply, to the parade dept. at Disneyland and it always got to us and was posted in the dressing area for everyone to see.
I don't know if they're alive anymore, but I certainly hope so. They were such dear people.

rexfarms
12-13-2003, 07:45 AM
I just tell the CM how I feel and put a comment in at City Hall(if that even does any good anymore). I think it would be less weird and make the CM feel better knowing that YOU want them to know that they did a good job. :)

WhenInRome
12-13-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Loric

They must refuse the gift 3 times, accept on the 4th, if monetary surrender the gift immediately to the company and have the proceeds given to a charity of their choice, if not monetary, the item will be assesed for value and that value will be given to the CM's chairty of choice.

If an employee gets a tip from a customer and the company takes it - I believe that is a violation of California Labor Law. I'd have to check on the exact law # but I'm pretty sure it's a violation. The Department of Labor Standards Enforcement might be able to give you more information.

Merlin
12-13-2003, 09:21 AM
WhenInRome is correct. CMs are perfectly free to accept gifts unless the gift is determined by the company to be inappropreate or "not in the ordinary course of business" (like a bribe or kickback from a vendor or competetor). In fact this policy was just updated in the standards manual sent to all CMs homes.

Hourly CMs must report all gifts to their manager, who documents both the gift and the circumstances under which it was given. A special department evaluates the report and determines if the gift is okay to keep.

If the gift was determined to be "not in the ordinary course of business" the CM is provided with several alternatives. They can also simply return the gift, keep the gift but make a charitable donation through the company for the value of the gift, or (as Loric said) give the gift to the company to be donated.

So in other words I personally agree that a nice card or note sent through Guest Relations would be a much more appreciated and "hassle-free" way to show your gratitude.

Hope this helps,

Merlin

Doodle Duck
12-13-2003, 09:29 AM
Or if it's Cash...send it to me and next time I get an AP I'll take it to them for you.

cryan71
12-13-2003, 09:48 AM
If it's cash in small bills, give it to me and I will make sure the CM gets it!

Doodle Duck
12-13-2003, 12:16 PM
cryan...stop ignoring me.

:fez:

Photographer
12-17-2003, 09:00 AM
LMAO No, I'm not sending any of you cash. Thanks to everyone for their input. I've got the letters drafted in my head, now I've just got to put them on paper and mail them.

:D

tod
12-17-2003, 09:28 AM
LMAO No, I'm not sending any of you cash. Thanks to everyone for their input. I've got the letters drafted in my head, now I've just got to put them on paper and mail them.

:D

Disneyland
1313 Harbor Boulevard
P.O. Box 3232
Anaheim, California 92803

--T

Photographer
12-18-2003, 09:18 AM
Thanks Tod! :D
Hot Seat every 4 weeks? Are that guy I saw hanging out at DL and the Cast Members at Millionaire wave to you whenever they see you?

This guy is like in his late 20's, thin with glasses. That you?

BJW
12-18-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Loric

Does this apply to restaurant tips as well? What about at the Blue Bayou, Carnation Cafe, etc. Also, what about tipping bar tenders in DTD or DCA?

luvsdca
12-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Photographer,
I think I know who you've seen (tall, thin, dark hair and glasses). It's interesting that you noticed how much the CMs at Millionaire like him. He is a regular and wrote a long letter at Guest Relations about how greatly the CMs at Millionaire contributed to the fun of the experience. The letter not only reached them, it's posted in their break area... so that really is the best was to pass on your appreciation.

PhilMP
12-22-2003, 01:38 AM
No, restaurant tips are not taken and assessed for value and given to charity. The entire 'tipping' thing does not apply to restaurant servers who make a lot of their money off tips from their tables. Same goes for bartenders.

If the Company did do that, nobody would be working Blue Bayou or Carnation Cafe, or Club 33 for that matter.

The charity thing only applies to 'regular' CMs, who normally don't take tips. I've had to turn down many tips at the Cappuccino Cart next to Plaza Gardens (why they tip me I don't know, I know absolutely nothing about coffee).

Instead of a tip, take the time to give the CM recognition through a Guest Compliment at City Hall. A lot of departments give out little prizes or whatnot for getting them, and it always looks good on a CMs record if they have a large amount of Guest Compliments, helps with promotions and such.

Phil

BJW
12-22-2003, 10:07 PM
PhilMP, thanks for the answer. That's good to know that the CMs get their tips. Many of them work pretty hard and deserve it. I think people probably tip you when you serve coffee because they consider you as sort-of a "bartender." Maybe on those standards you deserve a tip?

Morrigoon
12-22-2003, 10:47 PM
Blame Starbucks... they started calling their coffee people "baristas"

tod
12-23-2003, 10:26 AM
Thanks Tod! :D
Hot Seat every 4 weeks? Are that guy I saw hanging out at DL and the Cast Members at Millionaire wave to you whenever they see you?

Late 20s, thin, with glasses...

In the '70s, yeah. Not any more. Although I still wear glasses.

But the Millionaire CMs do wave at me when I come in, and ask if I'm eligible, so I guess "regular" does fit. Although I try to avoid the place when I'm not eligible. And I'm usually accompanied by at least one Little tod or The Lovely Mrs. tod, or a combination.

--T