PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see the new Frozen show today?

TTFN92
05-27-2016, 10:29 PM
Just wondering how it measures up to Aladdin.

potzbie
05-28-2016, 05:24 PM
Today's Los Angeles Times newspaper (Sat. May 28, 2016) praised highly the whole show -- actors; sets; special effects.

It looks like a winner. :) :)

Princess Aurora Fan
05-28-2016, 08:19 PM
I saw a full video of it today on Youtube and I can't wait to see it in person. The person they have playing Elsa is good and very beautiful. I'm going to be buying the shirt the next time I'm there.

cstephens
05-28-2016, 09:33 PM
I saw the first show (1pm) on Friday. I posted my thoughts, no show spoilers, on my Twitter account (https://twitter.com/cstephens2). Here's what I wrote:

Frozen - Live at the Hyperion is, quite simply, an amazing show. A lot of it is the technology, to be sure, but the show has heart. I found the lead performers in Frozen Live for the most part to be more engaging acting rather than singing. I'm chalking that up to nerves. "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" has always been a devastating song to me - had to hold back sobbing during that part of Frozen Live. Not surprisingly, the crowd-pleaser sequences were Let It Go and In Summer in Frozen Live. Olaf was definitely a hit. There were two unexpected interruptions to Frozen Live because of tech problems. The audience was patient and understanding through both. During one tech problem break in Frozen Live, someone yelled out "bring back Genie", and he was pretty soundly booed down. I thought the choreography in Frozen Live was particularly wonderful, both in design and execution. Kudos to choreographer and cast. One lead CM I spoke to briefly after Frozen Live said the director is a Tony-award winner and did an amazing job. Gonna need to research. The rash of numerous Frozen-related offerings at @DisneylandToday might have caused Frozen-fatigue but Frozen Live will break that. Would love if they offered a Q&A night for APs or Disney Parks Blog readers for Frozen Live like they did for Mickey & Magical Map. Kudos to cast, crew and everyone involved with Frozen Live . You've got a hit on your hands that will melt hearts for years to come. My only criticism involves not the show but operationally. I understand allowing food in the Hyperion. Selling food is, I think, a bad idea.

We're going for the first show tomorrow (Sunday) so that the husband can see it.

TTFN92
05-28-2016, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the review!

cstephens
05-29-2016, 06:02 PM
I saw the show again today, and two of the lead performers were the same as I'd seen on Friday, and the other lead performers were different. There is one lead performer I'm not entirely happy with, so I'm interested to see the other alternates for the lead positions.

One of the friends went to the second showing today, and that show had multiple tech problems, so keep that in mind if you're going in the near future.

Pixiedust58
06-23-2016, 12:13 PM
I was really looking forward to taking my granddaughters (6 & 10) to see this show. Maybe it was a case of Frozen overload or the fact it was the last day of a four day trip, but between a line for FP, a line to get in, sitting in the que then waiting for the show to start they were kinda over it. The show is good, set is beautiful, cast also very good. It seemed a little long for all of us. I am glad we went but doubt I will go again. I asked the girls if they would pick riding Tower of Terror or seeing the show again and they didn't hesitate for ToT. They also said they missed the Genie :-(

olegc
06-23-2016, 04:22 PM
. I am glad we went but doubt I will go again.(
this, to me, is the measuring stick for the show. How many repeat views. I am sure it will be a full house for a couple of years - but 10? hmmmm

fairestoneofall
06-23-2016, 04:33 PM
I saw it Tuesday for the first time and I'm excited to see it again Saturday!
We had a few tech issues Tuesday but the cast really rolled with it and ad lib'd well!

potzbie
06-23-2016, 10:53 PM
We had a few tech issues Tuesday . . .
Still?
After weeks? (from opening May 27 to today, June 23.)

Is this the dragon glitch in Fantasmic! all over again?

fairestoneofall
06-26-2016, 08:34 AM
Still?
After weeks? (from opening May 27 to today, June 23.)

Is this the dragon glitch in Fantasmic! all over again?

Yep. And yesterday we had a delayed start at the 4:00 show for technical issues. No biggie, still a great show.

disneyland addict13
06-26-2016, 02:43 PM
We also had technical issues with a two minute long delay during the scene with the sled. The actors handled it well, as mentioned above, but I was hoping the kinks would be worked out by now! We still loved the show, Olaf was a particularly pleasant surprise.

Tisha
06-26-2016, 05:03 PM
Yep. And yesterday we had a delayed start at the 4:00 show for technical issues. No biggie, still a great show.

At least they DID delay! I was at the show on June 5 that was flat out cancelled. After getting up at 5:30 to get to Disney at opening to get Fastpasses, then waiting in the heat and crowds for over an hour, and then getting in (through pushing crowds I may add) and getting seated. Right at show time, instead of delaying, they just said it was cancelled. Must have been a big technical issue, but they still did the later show (though they would not do anything to compensate any of us for our time). :/

I have seen the show twice now and initially was a little disappointed. It's quite close to the movie and I miss the genie's ad libbing. However I really like some of the effects and the casts have all been amazing. The second time around I enjoyed it more because I was just viewing it for what it was and no longer had crazy expectations (plus the first time was after dealing with the previous cancelled show, which built it up even more for when I actually got to see it).

I also don't like how they now assign sections on the fastpasses. I stayed at a hotel in Anaheim the night before my birthday because I wanted to see it again and didn't want to deal with weekday traffic to get a fastpass. But when we got there they were on first show balcony section. We waited around for 20 minutes until they started on the 2nd show, and several other people were doing the same thing.

Shortpix77
06-27-2016, 08:19 AM
Got to see the show last week (Thursday). Thought it was good, and like others have said, we thought the set was beautiful and the effects were very cool. Particularly love Elsa's dress transformation during "Let It Go." I really like the Olaf puppet (and the Olaf we saw had an amazing voice, so "In Summer" was awesome). That said, we also agreed that the show was a little long, and that it wouldn't hold up to repeat viewings the way Aladdin did. The Genie's current ever-evolving jokes really kept that show fresh for us. The Anna we saw was a little over-the-top with the perkiness, but she was still good and had a wonderful voice. We loved the Elsa we saw, and were pleasantly surprised that Disney had cast a woman of color (honestly not sure of her exact descent since we were up in the balcony, but I'd hazard a guess at black or latina?) in the role.

Angie2009
06-27-2016, 10:39 PM
We saw the show last week and were disappointed. Elsa came off as a wicked witch rather than a conflicted girl trying to do the right thing. Her voice wasn't strong. Anna was great (she screwed up part of one of her songs - moved a verse ahead then caught herself and went back - but her voice and energy were great).

It felt like the Anna show with Elsa the villain of the piece. It just didn't work for me. I enjoyed it as a show technically and theatrically, but for Frozen it came up short.

Princess Aurora Fan
06-28-2016, 08:06 AM
I saw this finally last Thursday (June 23rd) and I love it. I saw the last show the 5:50 and even though I had the second level which I had a hard time seeing it cause I have the fear of high places. The Elsa and Anna I saw was the ones I wanted to see from the videos on YouTube.

This Anna
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x167/BlueGenie_2007/Frozen%20the%20Musical/DSC04013_zpspilj18ls.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/BlueGenie_2007/media/Frozen%20the%20Musical/DSC04013_zpspilj18ls.jpg.html)

This Elsa
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x167/BlueGenie_2007/Frozen%20the%20Musical/DSC04071_zpsnozvgxzr.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/BlueGenie_2007/media/Frozen%20the%20Musical/DSC04071_zpsnozvgxzr.jpg.html)

Both Olaf and the Duke where good to the only ones I didn't like where Kristoff,Hans & the Trolls. To me with Kristoff his voice was too deep didn't like it and as for Hans I just didn't like the actor that place him. As for the Trolls didn't like them to me they didn't look anything like the trolls other then the puppets that was in the background. I would see this again. To me this was 100 times better then Aladdin was. I only saw Aladdin once and didn't like it. I had bought a Frozen shirt from there that has Elsa & Anna on it and well I have to take it back it don't fit me at all and I got the 2X size which was the larges they had. I'm sad that I can't wear it even though I wear a XL size shirts. Other then that I will see it again. On a side note I wish there was a way to me the actress that play Elsa & Anna at the end of the show would love to get a photo with them both.

pixar
07-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Went to the parks this past week, and tried to watch Frozen on Thursday. Got tickets to the first show, but they had technical difficulties and cancelled the show. Anna was singing when the sound cuts out. You can still hear her though, and she ended with:

For the first time in forever...
I'll be right back! :eek:

Also, for those that didn't know already, there's no separate Fastpass line or access for Magic Morning hours. There's only one line, and if you get in early for Magic Mornings, you get to go in that line first. That's it. Unfortunately for a couple, they thought they could get the tickets without getting in line. The guy insisted that he was entitled to get tickets before everyone else, and he was furious he had to get in line. His behavior was, to put it mildly, embarrassing. :eyeroll:

cstephens
07-10-2016, 10:20 PM
Also, for those that didn't know already, there's no separate Fastpass line or access for Magic Morning hours. There's only one line, and if you get in early for Magic Mornings, you get to go in that line first. That's it.

Hmmm, that's interesting because it must be a change. I went in for Magic Morning the first weekend, and we were definitely let into the Hollywood Backlot area before the regular guests and I got my Fastpass for the show before the others were let in.

Is it true that when you get the Fastpass now, it's for a particular section? If so, what section did you get? I'm disappointed if they do relegate you to a section that early. So far, I've only seen the show from the orchestra, and I'd like to see the show from the mezzanine, so planning that will be harder.

Shortpix77
07-11-2016, 06:24 AM
Is it true that when you get the Fastpass now, it's for a particular section? If so, what section did you get? I'm disappointed if they do relegate you to a section that early. So far, I've only seen the show from the orchestra, and I'd like to see the show from the mezzanine, so planning that will be harder.

Yes. We were disappointed with that too. We got the Balcony section the first time, and if I'd realized that's what was happening, we would have stood around and waited until they were done distributing those and gotten tickets for the next show.

pixar
07-11-2016, 11:37 AM
Hmmm, that's interesting because it must be a change. I went in for Magic Morning the first weekend, and we were definitely let into the Hollywood Backlot area before the regular guests and I got my Fastpass for the show before the others were let in.

They set up the line right before the backlot area. A few minutes before 8am, they walked the line through the backlot area to the Fastpass stations. It's similar to the Fastpass stations for Radiator Springs Racers, where you can get in line early and before everyone else.

Yes, the Fastpasses are now given in order of the shows and sections. I sat in the orchestra section. If you're there early, you'll have to simply hang around and see when the tickets go from orchestra to mezzanine.

bumblebeeonarose
07-11-2016, 01:41 PM

I think this was a necessary evil to keep people from hanging around the area an hour+ before their show time so they could get the area they wanted. Initial reports said crowding was bad as people arrived long before the FP window to stake their spots.

3Princesses1Prince
07-12-2016, 05:18 PM
I think this was a necessary evil to keep people from hanging around the area an hour+ before their show time so they could get the area they wanted. Initial reports said crowding was bad as people arrived long before the FP window to stake their spots.

Kinda like every other show pass....

bumblebeeonarose
07-13-2016, 12:49 PM
Kinda like every other show pass....

Yeah. Based on what I've read I really hope they do something to better the FP viewing for Fantasmic! Maybe they need to make more "areas" so it's more obvious where you will be going and people don't crowd to wait for their area. Though I suppose many people still would...

mousemom
08-05-2016, 10:34 AM
We went to the first show of the first day and again the middle of July. I was hesitant about going the second time and standing in line in the heat but we were all glad we went. My kids and I really enjoyed it the first time but the second time was much better! None of us could pinpoint really what was better except for the fact that the scene changes went more smoothly. I believe the actors were simply more settled into their roles and had fun with it. We were glad we went back and will probably go again.