PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the geeks!

Mickeyslittlehelper
12-09-2003, 03:44 PM
While reading "what makes you addicted to Disneyland" over at doombuggyproductions.com, after reading I had a few questions that I hoped some of you could answer.

Who is Jack Wagner, Thurl Ravenscroft, and Paul Frees?
What/where is Herb Ryman's tree?
What/where are the mail boxes in Tommorowland?
What is the "Phantom Fish" trick?

Thanks,
John

T-204 Days

Morrigoon
12-09-2003, 04:20 PM
That would be me!

Jack Wagner is the "voice of Disneyland", or at least was. All the old announcements were done by him.

Thurl Ravenscroft is the voice of Tony the Tiger. He is also the singing bust in the HM that people mistake for Walt.

Paul Frees (I might be wrong here) - isn't he the voiceover for HM?

Herb Ryman's tree... is that the one they call Walt's tree? If so, its a tree that keeps getting replanted along the edge of the castle moat (they keep dying, bad water, that moat), over toward the Snow White bridge. I'm not clear on the details, except that it was planted in tribute to his death (whether Herb or Walt I'm not sure, I thought it was Walt). When the old one dies, some imagineers come in and plant a new one.

I do not know of the mail boxes in Tomorrowland, but I have often deposited outgoing mail in the ones next to the entry tunnels to the park, sorry, can't help ya there.

Phantom fish? Haven't heard of them either.

Sailor Butterfly
12-09-2003, 04:36 PM
Phantom fish trick? I know of a "flying fish" trick, which is somewhere on the path that winds behind Big Thunder Mountain (I haven't seen it myself, I read about it online), where there used to be an animatronic bear figure which would lift a fish out of the water. The bear is no longer there, so it looks like the fish is jumping out of the water. Maybe it's the same thing....

Ghoulish Delight
12-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Paul Frees did indeed do the HM spiel.

Ravenscoft is also the voice of Tongarua, the tree god outside the Tiki Room. He has also done voices in a handful of animated movies (Aristocats comes to mind)

Can't think of Tomorrowland mailboxes. I do know of the Fantasyland mailbox, outside what used to be the Villain's shop, was recently a costume shop, and last I saw was closed. It's the first shop on the right as you enter Fantasyland through the castle.

Not Afraid
12-09-2003, 06:39 PM
OK. Here's the skinny on the mailbox:

It is located directly across from the Autopia Entrance on the wall of innoventions, next to the hatmosphere and the Autopia Fastpass distribution ramp.

It is blue.

As for Paul Frees,
look here. (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0293659/)

Thurl Ravenscroft bio is here. (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0712391/)

Jack Wagner
is here. (http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0905938/) You have to click the trivia: show more for the info that "we" probably want.

THe others????????? The tree is beyond me and there could be several things that refer to the Phantom Fish trick.

Don't mix him up with the Jack Wagner from General Hospital and Melrose Place fame.;)

I guess I still have some latent geek genes to develop.

Morrigoon
12-09-2003, 06:41 PM
latent? Mrs. 18th Century German Authors???

Not Afraid
12-09-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
latent? Mrs. 18th Century German Authors???

HEY! I just married into that geekness. ;)

merlinjones
12-09-2003, 08:17 PM
Thurl Ravenscroft is not only Tony the Tiger and a Haunted Mansion bust, but a member of the Mello-Men and the Disney Studio chorus of the classic era.

Paul Frees was the voice of Ludwig Von Drake and Poppin Fresh, narrated Haunted Mansion, Pirates and Inner Space as well as Disney's Tomorrowland films and Donald in Mathemagicland. He was also Boris Badenov and many voices in Rankin/Bass holiday specials.

Morrigoon
12-09-2003, 08:20 PM
The Mello-men! That means he voiced one of the dogs in the pound scene for Lady and the Tramp, right?

Wow.... I am a geek!

Not Afraid
12-09-2003, 08:30 PM
The Mello-men! That means he voiced one of the dogs in the pound scene for Lady and the Tramp, right?

Wow.... I am a geek!

Look at his bio. I linked to it.

Morrigoon
12-09-2003, 08:34 PM
Haha. I love number 35.

Springtime for......Pluto

hazlnut
12-10-2003, 07:57 AM
Thurl Ravenscroft is the voice of Tony the Tiger. He is also the singing bust in the HM that people mistake for Walt.

In addition to which, he did this:

Blanky/Young Master The Brave Little Toaster
Buff The Buffalo Country Bear Christmas Special(Walt Disney World)
Buff The Buffalo Country Bear Jamboree(Walt Disney World)
Buff The Buffalo Country Bear Vacation Hoedown(Disneyland/Extinct)
Captain (horse) 101 Dalmatians (feature)
Captain (horse) 101 Dalmations
Card Painter Alice in Wonderland (feature)
Chorus Singer Peter Pan (feature)
Fritz The Enchanted Tiki Room at DisneyWorld
Grinch (singing) Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Grinch (singing) Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)
Kirby Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars
Kirby (vacuum cleaner) The Brave Little Toaster
Kirby the vacum cleaner the little toaster
Narrator Side 1 Pirates of the Caribbean long-playing record
Paul Bunyan Where the Magic Begins (Disney Feature)
Singer Dumbo (feature) Look Out For Mr. Stork
Singer How the Grinch Stole Christmas
singer Lady and the Tramp
Singer The Jungle Book (feature)
Singer ("Grim Grinning Ghosts") The Haunted Mansion Disney World, Disneyland
Singer -Side II- He sings 5 sailor songs Pirates of the Caribbean long-playing record
Singer with the Norman Luboff Choir Singer with Spike Jones
Singing Pirate Pirates of the Caribbean Disneyland Ride
The Jerry Lewis Singers (1965) LP Record
Thing 1 Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat
Thing 1 The Cat in The Hat
Thing 1 The Cat In The Hat: Dr. Seuss Presents (1971)
Titan the Titanium Man Birdman/Galaxy Trio "Titan The Titanium Man"
Tony the Tiger Cartoon All-Stars on the Commercials
Tony the Tiger Commercial Toon Jam Frosted Flakes
Tony the Tiger commercials
Tony the Tiger commercials
Tony the Tiger Frosted Flakes commercials All commercials
Tony the Tiger Non-Stop Commercial Toon Jam Frosted Flakes
Tony the Tiger The Cartoon Characters Commercials
Tony the Tiger Today's Commercial Toon Jam Frosted Flakes
Tony the Tiger Today's TV Commercials
Waldo ABC Saturday Superstar Movie Nanny and The Professor

spectromen
12-10-2003, 08:00 AM
Another Tomorrowland mailbox would be the blue one on the wall of Tomorrowland Terrace, just as you come up the stairs from the Premiere Shop around the corner. At least I think it's still there, but I wouldn't know - I stopped going to TLT when the name was changed :)

KarenW2
12-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Thurl also did the recorded spiel for the Disneyland RR (the smoking lamp is out) that was recently replaced by the new recording. I miss the original!

Isn't there a fish that pops out of the water, near the castle, over by the Snow White wishing well?

Not Afraid
12-10-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by KarenW2
Isn't there a fish that pops out of the water, near the castle, over by the Snow White wishing well?

There are three spinning fish that pop up when the "Wishing" song is about to begin.

Matterhorn Fan
12-10-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
OK. Here's the skinny on the mailbox:

It is located directly across from the Autopia Entrance on the wall of innoventions, next to the hatmosphere and the Autopia Fastpass distribution ramp.

It is blue.Ah, that's my favorite Disneyland mailbox. Where your postcards go, nobody knows, but they arrive at their 2-hour-away destination 6 weeks later.

adriennek
12-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by KarenW2

There's some place where fish are supposed to pop out but don't. So the mechanism spins and makes moves in the water but you don't see the fish.

Now, I can't remember where it is. There are the fish by Snow White's well, and some others by that bridge near BTMRR.

Those are the fish I think of when I think of when I hear "phantom fish."

Adrienne

TwinGemII
12-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Phantom Fish-

If I'm not mistaken....

These are in the small pond along path that winds behind Big Thunder Mountain (*sigh*).

Anyways... I've only seen them when the sun falls. If you stand and watch for a few minutes suddenly things begin to move in the water! Then, the fish begin appearing in random places of the pond!

I do this at least twice when I'm at Disneyland!

:D

iwannabeanimagineer
12-10-2003, 01:16 PM
The original post by Mickeyslittlehelper refers to the "Phantom Fish" prank mentioned on http://www.doombuggyproductions.com/AddictedtoDisneyland04.html

I have no idea what doombuggy is talking about.

TwinGemII
12-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Yeah Yeah!! Go try and find the "Phantom Fish"

My boyfriend use to sit me in front of that pond and try to do it to me... it took a second for me to figure it out....to this day he still tries.

But I figured out the Phantom Fish... so it can't work!!! hehehehehe....