PDA

View Full Version : Submarines

Pages : [1] 2

motoxmagicdca
12-09-2003, 12:32 PM
I was sitting on my computer and i was looking at yesterland.com and seeing all the rides i never got to ride being 15 in all BUT i realized how much i freaking love the subs.. I mean it was such a SWELL ride.. is there anything at all we can do to get disney to bring it back?! i mean if i could rent out the disney park i would scuba dive in the lagoon.. is there anyone out there who feels the same way?!

Morrigoon
12-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Subs are unsalvageable, unfortunately. Thank T Irby.

HighwayInTheSky
12-09-2003, 04:02 PM
The lagoon is so full of power lines and pressureised pipes that
there is no way they will allow anyone to swim in there. In
fact years ago 5 CM's were fired for doing that.

Subs are back there just gathering calcium deposits and rust.
Until the day they can take down Monorail, trains and probably
Autopia for a few days to haul them out.

Ghoulish Delight
12-09-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by HighwayInTheSky
The lagoon is so full of power lines and pressureised pipes that
there is no way they will allow anyone to swim in there. In
fact years ago 5 CM's were fired for doing that.
Actually, it's been said that as recently as last month, underwater arc welding could be seen going on in the lagoon.

Not Afraid
12-09-2003, 05:19 PM
I will second what GD said. Who can forget underwater arc welding!;)

Bruce Bergman
12-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Actually, it's been said that as recently as last month, underwater arc welding could be seen going on in the lagoon.

I'd love to get the real reason why they were welding in there, GD. :confused:

They could have enough of a maintenance budget left to check the Subs once a week, and patch them if they rust through or otherwise start leaking. Keep them viable for use when they finally figure out what they're going to do with the lagoon and show building.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

sleepyjeff
12-09-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Subs are unsalvageable, unfortunately. Thank T Irby.

Don't lose heart. If Walt Disney could turn part of an orange grove into a Submarine Voyage with 1950s technology, I don't see it as an impossibility to turn a submarine lagoon into a Submarine Voyage with 21st century technology( just gonna take some 21st century money ).

Germboy
12-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Why do some people buy into the idea that there is no money (to reopen the subs for instance)? NO MONEY? Come on...

Here's a little secret...there's always money. ALWAYS. Don't let anyone pull the wool over your eyes.

Also, does anyone remember that human cast members in mermaid suits used to sit out in the middle of that lagoon, daily?

Morrigoon
12-09-2003, 07:59 PM
Call me a pessimist.

It isn't about there not being enough money. If a brand new subs attraction was the E-ticket attraction it was when it first opened, then I have every confidence in the world that they'd manage it. But you have to weigh costs vs benefit. Unless they come up with a fantastic variation, it's not going to happen. The only chance was if it didn't cost too much to bring it back up.

Not Afraid
12-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Germboy
Also, does anyone remember that human cast members in mermaid suits used to sit out in the middle of that lagoon, daily?

No. Those were real Mermaids.

Really.

My Dad said so.

Germboy
12-09-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
No. Those were real Mermaids.

Really.

My Dad said so.

No silly. The REAL mermaids were down with the sunken treasure near Atlantis and the sea monster!

I agree Moorigoon. The concept of "cost vs. benefits" is the most blatant indication of what the company is doing wrong. I wonder who is weighing the "costs vs. benefits" regarding the subs; the same people who built DCA?

The subs were STILL a draw. Much more so than the empty attraction that currently occupies that spot. Just IMAGINE how much it costs them to upkeep THAT--and with no return on their investment, other than negative publicity. What a waste.

9oldmen
12-09-2003, 11:08 PM
http://www.perry.com/disney/subs/TimesSept398.html

The Mouse Is Back
12-09-2003, 11:12 PM
What's all this talk about costumes? None of the characters are *people* in *costumes*, that is just ridiculous.

Now stop saying that or I'll cry on ya!

BTW, I LOVED the submarines, a day at DL was not complete without an underwater adventure.

-Allegra-

Germboy
12-09-2003, 11:23 PM
oops I lost myself

hazlnut
12-10-2003, 07:48 AM
I was at DL on the last day they were open and I remember being told by a CM that the subs were being closed and we should expect a new high-tech sub attraction by 2003.

Guess not.

Thanks T. for ruing one of the most special things about DL.

There's a big sub attraction poster hanging in my son's room, now he'll never know why I think that poster is so incredible.

I, we all remember the first time we went on subs. I was around five and the experience was 100% REAL for me. Walt Disney had created magic. I WAS underwater on an incredible journey.

Thanks T.

spectromen
12-10-2003, 08:03 AM
So if no work's going on, why can't the waterfalls at least be turned back on? Looks terrible with them off. I can't imagine that having them on would disrupt any potential work inside the caves?

hazlnut
12-10-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by 9oldmen
http://www.perry.com/disney/subs/TimesSept398.html

From the article:

"We know it isn't as relevant today as it once was," Disneyland Resort President Paul Pressler said in announcing the submarines would soon enter dry dock.

I guess I forgot to thank Mr. Pressler. Thanks, Paul...

YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hazlnut
12-10-2003, 08:09 AM
This thread has really got my blood boiling...

I was at the park this July waiting in the Monorail queue when I witnessed two parents with their two kids, scratching their heads looking for the entrance to the subs. They were from out of town, obviously, and I could see from the look in their eyes that they couldn't conceive of someone removing the subs.

They wanted to experiece the attraction with their kids they way their parents did with them--seeing their eyes go wide when the bell rings and sub begins to dive, dive, dive...

It was one of the things we all remember most about Disneyland.

So sad...

12-10-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by motoxmagicdca
i mean if i could rent out the disney park i would scuba dive in the lagoon.. is there anyone out there who feels the same way?!

Honey, you've got yourself a diving buddy.

-3894/Helen

wonderful
12-10-2003, 08:31 AM
There will be nay sayers, and, believe me, I am am not saying that it will happen immediately, but-- the lagoon is not dead. So... I am advocating patience... Matt et al have only been around for a month... you can spend a lot of time focusing on the years that have been wasted, but that does nothing... why not look forward to what is in store. And before you say, "but it's already been so many years..." just remember folks were waiting around for the Haunted Mansion for six+ years and, to them, there was simply "no reason" it should take so long... of course, at that time WDW was being built... so there you have it--hope. It's the holidays, try it out =)

iwannabeanimagineer
12-10-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by wonderful
And before you say, "but it's already been so many years..." just remember folks were waiting around for the Haunted Mansion for six+ years and, to them, there was simply "no reason" it should take so long... of course, at that time WDW was being built... so there you have it--hope. It's the holidays, try it out =)
Not only were they working on WDW during those 6 years, but also the 1964 World's Fair. And I've seen enough about the HM as originally planned to be confident that the post-fair HM is 4.5 zillion times better than any pre-fair HM would have been.

SacTown Chronic
12-10-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by hazlnut
This thread has really got my blood boiling...

I was at the park this July waiting in the Monorail queue when I witnessed two parents with their two kids, scratching their heads looking for the entrance to the subs. They were from out of town, obviously, and I could see from the look in their eyes that they couldn't conceive of someone removing the subs.

They wanted to experiece the attraction with their kids they way their parents did with them--seeing their eyes go wide when the bell rings and sub begins to dive, dive, dive...

It was one of the things we all remember most about Disneyland.

So sad...

My brother took his family to Disneyland for the first time last May. All he could talk about when he returned was that there were no subs. He didn't know and it was quite a jolt when he discovered they were gone. This was his favorite attraction when we were kids and it's not a stretch to say that the lack of subs put a huge damper on his trip. He told me that going on the subs with his kids was something he was really looking forward to.

I wish he would have told me this before he went - I was unaware that he didn't know. Maybe I could have softened the blow by breaking it to him gently. I can picture the look on his face when he got to the lagoon and saw no subs. Makes me want to kick T. Irby's butt.

disneylandia
12-10-2003, 10:05 AM
If a brand new subs attraction was the E-ticket attraction it was when it first opened, then I have every confidence in the world that they'd manage it. But you have to weigh costs vs benefit. Unless they come up with a fantastic variation, it's not going to happen.

I think they can create an E Ticket Sub Ride. There are VERY few sub rides around, which in itself makes it unique. It would take a lot of money, but I think done right it could attract new/repeat visitors the way Indy does.

ModHatter
12-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by spectromen
So if no work's going on, why can't the waterfalls at least be turned back on? Looks terrible with them off. I can't imagine that having them on would disrupt any potential work inside the caves?

I was at DL yesterday, and there is indeed something afoot. I went to ride the Monorail to get some overhead shots of the lagoon, and lo and behold, the falls were back!

The "dive" and "rise" bubbles, on the other hand, were suddenly gone!

And, more interesting than anything else, looking down from the old dock, SOMEthing has been done to the track!

I will make my digital pics available ASAP, but I tell you what... If you want to destroy the Subs completely, or simply let them rot to death, you don't suddenly mess around with the tracks.

Demigod121
12-10-2003, 10:53 AM
Hurry Up! Wanna See, wanna see!

:)

I loved the subs! They were great to ride in on a hot summer day!

-Demigod