PDA

View Full Version : Farewell to the Skyway Building

AVP
05-14-2016, 04:27 PM
https://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/245969-2/SWL3-050316-AVP.jpg

The dirt-covered roof on the far left of this photo belongs to the long-abandoned Skyway station in Fantasyland. The building has only recently been visible from outside the park due to the Star Wars Land construction. Last week, Disney filed a permit to demolish the building. No word if it's part of the Star Wars Land footprint, or will be used for another project.

bumblebeeonarose
05-14-2016, 06:15 PM
This doesn't bother me. It's not been used for several decades. Might as well tear it out. I don't see the point in just keeping it around. Hope they find somewhere else to leave the cat food.

tea4two
05-14-2016, 06:32 PM
This makes me so sad! We look for the Skyway building every time we pass that way through FL. We have so many fond memories (from riding the Sky buckets to seeing cats to the recent decorations there for MHP) connected to that spot. :(

D15
05-14-2016, 07:50 PM
While it is sad to lose a piece of history and personal nostalgia, I do understand. Better to have something there being used than nothing, I suppose.

RStar
05-14-2016, 08:26 PM
I agree that while sad, it just hasn't been used for so long. It is just amazing how much this project touches. It shows how massive it is!

averagecuppajoe
05-15-2016, 04:39 AM
I think it's about time it was gone. It's beautiful and I love it but it's a sad reminder of a wonderful ride that is gone and shall never return. It reminds me of the Disneyland of my past that I miss.

I love the new park and most of the changes but I can't help being nostalgic for the 70's park, too.

Princess Aurora Fan
05-15-2016, 09:25 AM
I never did go on the ride but every now and then when I was hitting over to Pinocchio's ride and his restaunt I would always see that building and couldn't believe how the color of that building stood for all these years. To tell you the truth if this ride was around still I wouldn't be going on it because I have the dear of high places so riding it wouldn't hurt me but just to see it go. I know it's not the same but at less we get to see still two of the buckits in the Buzz Lightyear shop over at Tomorrowland.

sjhanksaz
05-15-2016, 04:43 PM
That was a fun ride but I know how tempting it was for youth to drop things out of it for a while so I understand why it is no more

danyoung
05-16-2016, 08:19 AM
A few years ago I hopped the chain and went up the stairs, looking around at this old building. At the time it was very sad, thinking back to the many times I'd ridden the Skyway. Now that the Skyway's gone I think the tearing down of this station is long overdue. But it's still kind of a melancholy thing, seeing a part of the old DL going away forever.

smd4
05-16-2016, 01:54 PM
That was a fun ride but I know how tempting it was for youth to drop things out of it for a while so I understand why it is no moreFunny how that temptation doesn't seem to exist in other parks that have skyways.

currence
05-16-2016, 03:32 PM
I think part of it was the Skyway's proximity to people & things. Most of the other Skyways I've been on are so high up it would be hard to see if you successfully hit any given target, or over trees/water where there are ill defined targets. But in Disneyland Fantasyland my recollection is that it was just so easy to try. I don't recall feeling that way even at the Tomorrowland station.

Shortpix77
05-16-2016, 08:39 PM
I have a vague recollection of seeing on the news that a man had pretended to fall out of the Skyway (in reality, he strategically jumped) in order to sue Disney... anyone else remember this?

JPPT1974
05-16-2016, 09:26 PM
If it has not been used for decades. Then really it is no tears shed but looks pretty!

tea4two
05-16-2016, 10:33 PM
I have a vague recollection of seeing on the news that a man had pretended to fall out of the Skyway (in reality, he strategically jumped) in order to sue Disney... anyone else remember this?

That does ring a bell. And also something about a woman who really did fall. Off to Google this...

olegc
05-17-2016, 08:36 AM

David Koenig wrote about it in his original Mousetales book. I recall it had to do with a guy who claimed to have fallen out - but on the tree near Alice attraction so there were no serious injuries. The investigation showed he jumped out. as I thought about it I googled - yup, in 1994 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Disneyland_Resort scroll down to Skyway.

TTFN92
05-17-2016, 10:15 PM
While a part of me is sad, I'm really ok with this. I have fond memories of this ride and loved going thru the Matterhorn but it's been gone a long time. I rarely even see it or look for it. When I do see it, it just makes me long for the old rides.

Nightwing
05-19-2016, 08:34 PM
On a side note... Now can place the stuff on the very far right of those construction shots. Its or should say were the blds you see as you pass on the tram going to and from the Structure.