PDA

View Full Version : I think I heard something wrong in the Monorail spiel...

spectromen
12-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong: On the Monorail leg from Tomorrowland to DTD, as you pass thru the Golden Gate Bridge, the narrator tells you that if you look to the far right you'll see Paradise Pier. Isn't it the far left? Of course, half of the riders are riding backwards, but still, wouldn't they write the script by the people who are facing forward?

MonorailMan
12-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Good Question.

I habit of blocking the "Hey! The DISNEYLAND monorail is a perfect advertisement for DCA." speil.

Will check it out next time. ;)

Locke Aidan
12-08-2003, 10:16 PM
My thought on that is that people are expected to be looking at DCA while driving by in the Monorail. Thus, they are facing towards the park, and Paradise Pier is now on the far right.

Loric
12-09-2003, 07:31 AM
Typically, in FL, where there an awful lot more monorail speil to be heard...

The phrase is "To the right side of our forward motion.."

Thus eliminating any debate. Perhaps it was intentional. *shrug*

But, maybe there's just not enough time to say that. "Up ahead beyond the trees, and to the right side of our forward motion, is Spaceship Earth."

Takes a while to say, maybe there's not enough time on that leg of the trip?

Oh, and to show it's used often.. "Along the shores of majestic Bay Lake and to the right side of our forward motion is Disney's Wildness Lodge"

spectromen
12-09-2003, 08:16 AM
At that point in the spiel, the narration is going so fast, it sounds like a bunch of run-on sentences! This is probably because the train is only in DCA a few seconds...I think they should have spent the extra and done a nice loop throughout the park similar to the route around Spaceship Earth.

I loved the fact that WDW's monorails still used Jack Wagner's voice for the doors closing spiel....sigh.

danyoung
12-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Locke Aidan
My thought on that is that people are expected to be looking at DCA while driving by in the Monorail. Thus, they are facing towards the park, and Paradise Pier is now on the far right.

Huh? When going from DL to the hotel, as you're going over the bridge, Paradise Pier is on your left. No way around it. It's at about 10 or 11 oclock.

Locke Aidan
12-09-2003, 11:20 AM
I didn't mean you were LITERALLY facing the park, I meant that you're supposed to be LOOKING at the park (You know, you turn to face it so you can get a good look). Hence, if you're looking at it, PP is on the right. Hope that makes sense now.

Sophie832
12-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Well, there are seats on the monorail facing both ways, so for some passengers, it could be on the right...

danyoung
12-10-2003, 04:01 AM
I didn't mean you were LITERALLY facing the park, I meant that you're supposed to be LOOKING at the park (You know, you turn to face it so you can get a good look). Hence, if you're looking at it, PP is on the right. Hope that makes sense now.

NOW I understand! :) The spiel still doesn't make much sense, to me.

Lashbear
12-10-2003, 04:28 AM
...and if you can't watch your step, watch your head - and if you can't watch your head, watch your language...

:p

HighwayInTheSky
12-10-2003, 06:31 AM
"Please lower your head and watch your step. If you don't
lower your head please watch your language.... or you may be
surrounded by several people using terms you have never heard in your life".

Cadaverous Pallor
12-10-2003, 09:08 AM
I am so bad at remembering which direction things move in....I can't decide if the monorail crosses the golden gate bridge east to west or west to east! :( I'll check on Saturday, if I can.

Locke Aidan
12-10-2003, 09:24 AM
East to west, methinks.

ModHatter
12-10-2003, 03:02 PM

Your logic is sound. I was on it yesterday, and yes, going west to east, PP is on the left, but when looking at DCA, it is to the right. But when I heard them say it was on the right, I instinctively looked right and saw a whole lot of nothing.

Personally, I want to see the old Alweg plan for LA transit revived. Seattle was smart enough to start building new Monorail line. Anaheim needs to get on the ball and follow suit. In the meantime, I guess I'll be stuck riding Red over and over, listening to the same wacky spiel.

Morrigoon
12-10-2003, 03:09 PM
Our Vegas monorail should be open around January, if I recall correctly (you can check on its progress at www.monorails.org)

ModHatter
12-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by ModHatter
Your logic is sound. I was on it yesterday, and yes, going west to east

Okay, clearly I was drunk :p I meant going west. As in east to west.