PDA

View Full Version : Millionaire

Nigel2
09-25-2001, 02:33 PM
Fist off, the Regis pre show stuff is back in but now to the topic at hand. In the rare chance that anyone here wins the trip, how many people here are willing to pledge their trip to something like the Make a Wish foundation? I swear if I ever get the trip that it will go to them, but I want to see if anyone else would do it too. But you could keep all the other prizes. Now who is with me?

AVP
09-25-2001, 08:06 PM
Nigel,

As wonderful of a gesture as this is, you will not be able to give or donate the grand prize to anyone. As I understand it, a photo is taken of you after you win, and your contact information is sent to Disney travel. They get in touch with you and make the travel arrangements for you and one other person. The prize is non-transferable. The photo is sent to New York, so they can verify that you ARE the person who is supposed to be there.

If you wanted to make a donation related to your win, I would suggest that you sell / auction / donate the lower level prizes. There are only two DCA Million Point lanyard medallions out there, and two DCA Million Point leather jackets. I imagine you could get a sizeable chunk for those two items if you wanted to, and then you could donate the proceeds to charity. In fact, eBay even has auctions set up now, where you can donate the proceeds to the September 11th fund.

Adrienne VP

BTT
09-27-2001, 09:43 PM
As is often the case in real life, I will probably be sticking my foot in my mouth here, but I wanted to at least respond to this.

As Adrienne rightly pointed out, the folks at WWTBAM-PI make a point of making sure it's understood the trip is non-transferrable, and in the climate that we're in right now, that's extremely necessary. I can definitely confirm a picture was taken of me, though I wasn't sure as to why, though Adrienne's explanation makes a lot of sense.

As for the other prizes, I have two reasons why I wouldn't follow suit with the suggestion. First, and probably foremost, I don't agree with a blanket declaration towards a single group. That's not to say Make-A-Wish is not worthy, it's just not the only one out there. Personally, the first charity I would donate to (and have) is the September 11th fund.

Secondly, I think the auctioning off of the prizes from this is impersonal. Everything that is presented to each player has some sort of value intrinsic to the experience. The hat and the shirt both make the statement that the wearer/owner reached a certain level in the game. The jacket actually says "I'm a MILLION POINT Winner." Even the pins indicate a certain level reached.

It's interesting to me that eBay was brought up. I remembered reading that someone had started auctioning individual and whole sets of pins along with other merchandise. What really struck at me was the statement that:

"This high-quality polo shirt canot be purchased from Disney, it must be won by successfully answering the 32,000 point question at Disney/MGM's "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" attraction. This makes it one of the rarest pieces of Disney clothing available. "

At face value, I read that statement as the basics of how that shirt can normally be obtained. But as I read into it, I thought someone is taking that experience and selling it for cash to someone who has no personal attachment to the shirt. When I look at what I got for my experience, the thought of selling the jacket leads me to think that the supposed buyer would be wearing the jacket and have no attachment to the statement on the front. Whereas when I look at the jacket, I can remember nearly every single moment from about the eighth question on, especially the last five questions.

Long story short (too late), while I applaud anybody who would like to take their winnings and auction it for charity, I choose to hang on to my stuff because the value in it has more to do with the method of obtaining them and the experience, rather than the market value. I'll find other ways to donate to charity.

Ben

Nigel2
09-27-2001, 09:52 PM
I bet if people tried hard enough they would let you do it somehow, could you imagine how bad that would make them look if they wouldn't let someone donate it to chairty like that. Plus I had been thinking over this idea since it was announce that WWTBAM was coming here. Thats why I chose Make A Wish, since those are the main people that could use it more. The 9-11 fund is nice, but they need cash and blood more than trips to NYC. But odds are I won't ever get in the hot seat, just in the ROF and on the leader board.:crying:

BTT
09-27-2001, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
I bet if people tried hard enough they would let you do it somehow, could you imagine how bad that would make them look if they wouldn't let someone donate it to chairty like that. Plus I had been thinking over this idea since it was announce that WWTBAM was coming here. Thats why I chose Make A Wish, since those are the main people that could use it more. The 9-11 fund is nice, but they need cash and blood more than trips to NYC. But odds are I won't ever get in the hot seat, just in the ROF and on the leader board.:crying:

Where to start?

It has absolutely nothing to do with a charity issue. Can you imagine how bad it would look if someone who hadn't won the trip got a hold of it, repeated the events of Sept 11th, and then traced it back to Disney? With all of the security precautions that are being taken these days, what's a better way to get at money and other things than through charities, especially those charities where security against terrorism hasn't even been a consideration. Besides, there's paperwork you sign before they even consider calling up to book travel. So, legally, the winner (i.e. me) has already agreed to that stipulation before Disney invests a dime into that. Disney's legal wrote it up (as far as I could tell) iron clad.

Besides, the selling point to the trip is to advertise the winners. There's a small possibility that my image will be used in such a way (which through mere attendance I've already given permission) to sell their attraction, at its greatest through the network as an audience member, at its smallest within and around the park to draw attendance.

Personally, I have cousins in NYC that I haven't seen for years, whom (as far as I know) was nowhere near the scene when it happened.

Its a dual case of not only being unable to, due to legal reasons, but also choosing not to, because of family and personal desire.

If you choose to try to donate the trip when you win, good luck...

Ben

(BTW, I thought I'd be consigned to the leader board as well, until Adrienne declined...anything's possible, and I got REALLY lucky at the questions I had)

Nigel2
09-27-2001, 10:41 PM
Oh well, also. Could a CM or whatever tell me why there is a slight smoke effect coming from the middle of the top half of the close left side (from host's enterence POV)? Its just this little tiny constant jet, it almost looks like a leak in a pipe it is so small. I guess it might be for a haze to make the lights have a visable beam.:confused:

CaliforniaCrazy
09-28-2001, 08:14 AM
That is exactly why that little smoke effect is there. Also, to give the set a smoky effect, which it does a great job of doing especially when the lights hit it. I have seen it on numerous occasions, and the first time I didn't really know why that was there, either, but then I saw the haze it made and then I understood it created the ambiance of the real Millionaire show.