PDA

View Full Version : Trojan Marching Band in DL 'round NYE

Pages : [1] 2

Morrigoon
12-06-2003, 12:59 AM
Well, sounds like the TMB will be marching through Disneyland, Sugar or Roses. Don't know the plans for Roses, but Sugar sounds like we may be there on NYE. Just FYI.

MickeyLumbo
12-06-2003, 08:44 AM
pLeAsE let us know as soon as plans are definite. one year in the eighty's i witnessed SC march down Main Street, around Plaza Hub -- where it had to STOP and wait for the entire band to pass ITSELF, cuz the band was so huge---then back up Main Street to a Town Square concert. The amazing sound reverberated and rattled the poor little Main Street shops.

I would love to experience this again.:cool:

Morrigoon
12-06-2003, 09:13 AM
:) Well, there's only about 275 of us this year....

Dlandmom
12-06-2003, 12:41 PM
I miss those amazing parade "formations" (for lack of a better word) that the TMB used to do in the Rose Parade, where alternate rows would march through a corner, then double back, then cross over...it was just the neatest thing to watch. I would love to see that again. Do you guys still do that? It looked pretty complicated. I'd have to say it's been about 20 years since I last saw them do it.

DonaldDuck14
12-06-2003, 12:46 PM
OMG i so wnat to be in that band so much! Im trying my best to get good grades so i can get into USC and join that band...fight on trojans! And please kepp us posted on when they are coming because i've never seen them or heard them in action.

tod
12-06-2003, 03:41 PM
I remember sitting in the North solarium of the Plaza Inn with my mother, my cousin, and my cousin's daughter to celebrate the daughter's birthday on December 28th and we suddenly heard a large, loud band marching up the parade route, playing full-blast as they headed toward Main Street. It was the Big 10 school band, in town for the Rose Bowl.

This was the good old days, when anything could happen at Disneyland (and I mean that in a good way, not like getting killed on Big Thunder) -- and often did.

--T

Brian Noble
12-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Will you play Tribute to Troy and Fight On? I don't hear those nearly enough!

(Cal Graduate with a wink and a smile.)

Now that I think about it, I'll try to find out if the Michigan Marching Band will be playing at Disneyland during the Rose Bowl. I have several students in the band this year, and a former student on the cheerleading squad.

mamabot
12-06-2003, 07:03 PM
I will so totally be there if the TMB is playing at Disneyland!

Question is, will the powers that be let Chuy take a break from Bayou Brass so he he can break out that killer cardinal & gold horn?:D

The Lovely Mrs. tod
12-06-2003, 09:47 PM
You WILL let us know days & times? I work until about 3pm NYE and I may just have to develop a migraine or something.....

-TLMt
USC, Class of '77

Morrigoon
12-07-2003, 02:13 AM
I will so let you know :)

I have a feeling Chuy'd find a way ;)

Of course... we ARE very loud, and um.... big. Kinda surprising really that DL will have us back after last year (from what I hear). Then again, amazing we were allowed back last year after we were supposedly banned forever. Then again, this isn't the same Disney it used to be so perhaps "un-Disney" behavior is overlooked when large sums of money are involved (hey, we have faithful alumni, who think nothing of spending 50 bucks to see us drive it down Main Street playing our stuff.

There's what, about 275 of us this year?

Oh, and there's something interesting (being as we ARE so big)... you can't cross the band. Nor would you wish to attempt to (trust me, don't try it). That'll make it interesting, hahahah.....

On a side note for Trojan fans.... Matt Leinart crashed into me today just before halftime! (actually he took out another girl, ripping a hole in her spat with his cleat -ouch- but I was right behind her so he crashed into me too, LOL... far less painful than a cleat into the top of my foot!)

MickeyLumbo
12-07-2003, 05:12 PM
it's Roses! as far as I'm concerned, the Rose Bowl IS the National Championship.

usually, the Rose Bowl teams/bands are hosted at Disneyland two days after Christmas... although i have no inside info about this years schedule.

Michigan AND SC. WOW. what a show that will be.:cool:

Brian Noble
12-07-2003, 05:18 PM
The Rose with the Big-10 and Pac-10 champions? What is this, the 20th century?

Should be a good show all around. If I hear anything about the Michigan band schedule, I'll be sure to post.

And, at the risk of alienating half the padders...

Hail to the Victors!

hazlnut
12-07-2003, 06:10 PM
Won't they be marching in the Rose parade? I can't imagine they'll be there NYE.

MickeyLumbo
12-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by hazlnut
Won't they be marching in the Rose parade? I can't imagine they'll be there NYE.

NYE was based on them making it to the Sugar Bowl, which is not played on New Years Day...the Sugar Bowl is played January 4th

however, with MUCH controversy, earlier today, the BCS computer has put the number one team in the nation (USC) into the Rose Bowl (played New Years Day)... this means they will be hosted by Disneyland a couple days after Christmas.:cool: and indeed WILL be marching New Year's Day in the Rose Parade.

Morrigoon
12-07-2003, 11:27 PM
Per announcement by Darkbeer, the TEAMS will be there the day after xmas. We, however, do not meet for rehearsal until the 28th, so we can't possibly be at the park until the 29th or later.

mamabot
12-08-2003, 07:45 AM
Morrigoon please let us all know which day the TMB will be at Disneyland. I am not a fan of going to DLR during the week between Christmas & New Years, but I may be so inclined to go if the TMB will be there. :D

LSPoorEeyorick
12-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Hail, hail to Michigan, the leaders and the best!

The MMB will be there around that time, too. Have a blast, Morrigoon! And best of luck to your team.

Morrigoon
12-09-2003, 11:21 AM
Yes, probably on the same day if last year's Rose Bowl is anything to go by...

It's always fun, getting the opportunity to thoroughly trounce Michigan in the Rose Bowl. We don't usually think about it consciously, the way we do the bRuins or Cal, but when this Rose Bowl stuff comes up, we suddenly remember how much we HATE Michigan. It's great stuff, I love rivalries.

Morrigoon
12-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Okay, you asked, I'm telling. Here is our TENTATIVE rally/gig schedule:

12/28: Some time in the evening we're doing a rally in Santa Monica. It doesn't say where, but I remember in the past that one was held at 3rd Street Promenade, so that seems the logical place.

12/29: DISNEYLAND! We have rehearsal in the morning, so don't look for us till afternoon (which makes sense anyway, doesn't it?)

12/30: Pep rally somewhere.... Citywalk or SFMM considered possibilities

12/31 Rally on campus

silly_bear
12-10-2003, 01:14 PM
Hope you aren't marching right after the Main Street sax quartet or the Dapper Dans perform. I wouldn't want them to drown you guys out. By the way, I caught one of your halftime shows. I especially liked your rendition of Birdland. As your announcer said, that arrangement really “sets your band apart from all other college marching bands.” Now I know what it’s like wading through a swamp with 20 pound weights attached to my ankles.

Morrigoon
12-10-2003, 03:58 PM
You're from Stanford, yes?

Drown us out, you have GOT to be kidding!

Brian Noble
12-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Don't worry, Morrigoon: *nobody* likes the $tanfurd band.

silly_bear
12-10-2003, 06:17 PM
Nope, I'm not from the school with that pitiful excuse for a "marching" band.

Actually, they probably won't drown you guys out. I'm sure you guys at $C can handle playing all four notes in Tribute to Troy louder than four saxes. Better not try and play anything more complex, your volume might suffer.

Have fun playing at Disneyland. I've played at Disneyland the week before a Rose Bowl game myself, but that was way back in the '99 Rose Bowl. We didn’t get to march down the parade route because the park was too crowded at the time. It was just a park and blow (which is perfect since you guys are obviously great at as is evident from all your halftime shows that I have seen).

I like a good rivalry too.

Morrigoon
12-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Apparently we can handle every other school's fight song (note I said song, not song[s], as no other school seems to merit more than one). At least, it seems the manufacturers of NCAA football video game seem to think so, as we recorded all the music for it.

Fleetwood Mac seems to think so too.

And of course, let's not forget all the movies the band has appeared in. It seems all of Hollywood seems to think we can play pretty well.

But feel free to laugh at me marching my tail off on the way to the REAL national championship game! :~D

Morrigoon
12-26-2003, 10:10 AM
Bumping this with some Rose Parade details. Looks like we'll either be #33 or #46 in the parade. Either way, we're in the latter part of the first half of the parade (interestingly, the ToT float will be somewhere in between the two teams, just FYI)