PDA

View Full Version : What do they do differently on New Years?

Pages : [1] 2

awinner
12-05-2003, 09:38 PM
I was just wondering what do they do differently at both parks and dtd? Are there fireworks at 2 different times, or just the same holiday ones. music? etc...need to know:confused:

TrekkieDad
12-05-2003, 09:55 PM
Well, I'll be there to find out. One thing I know for sure: There is an 11:59 seating for the Fantasmic dessert at the Disney Gallery, 'cause the wife and I have reservations! Whoohooo!!!

awinner
12-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Sounds great...we have dinner reservations at club 33,,,so it should be fun

Morrigoon
12-06-2003, 01:03 AM
Plan on shoulder to shoulder people (eg: this is a day for people watching, not riding attractions). The atmosphere is jubilant, and there may be extra entertainment (bands, etc) going on (including the possibility of certain marching bands ;) hitting the parade route during the day, we'll see on that one). DO NOT attempt to be at the hub for the countdown! Plan on being anywhere other than Main Street, trust me on this one, it's an actual CRUSH of people, as in cannot move until an hour after midnight, stuck on the bridge out of Frontierland, mothers asking their kids if they can breathe kind of crush.

MickeyLumbo
12-06-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Plan on shoulder to shoulder people it's an actual CRUSH of people, as in cannot move until an hour after midnight, stuck on the bridge out of Frontierland, mothers asking their kids if they can breathe kind of crush.

a horrible, terrifying and dangerous situation to put your children in.:crying:

TrekkieDad
12-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Sounds great...we have dinner reservations at club 33,,,so it should be fun
Looks like I have been one-upped. I'm not sure where we'll have dinner, but at I'll know where we'll be for dessert. Sometime during our visit we want to try Catal; the menu looks really interesting.

MickeyLumbo
12-06-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by MickeyLumbo
a horrible, terrifying and dangerous situation to put your children in.:crying:

(what i meant by that is that i am sad that it is so crowded at the park ...that the experience of being at the Park turns from pleasure to terror. i did not mean to imply or single anyone out as intentionally putting their children in such conditions.

when it get's overcrowded - the fun stops.)

CoasterMatt
12-07-2003, 12:29 AM
I love NYE at Disneyland! We go every year for open-close....

We spend a lot of time people watching, or coming up with fun silly things to do - one of my favorites is forming a line to nowhere, seeing how many people will line up behind us, then at a signal word, scattering - leaving several confused souls. We did that last year in NOS, and TL. :~D

We spent a couple hours playing Disney Monopoly, and some other board games, but still managed to hit quite a few attractions. It'll be interesting to see what this year is like, with BTMRR and Space Mountain out of the picture.

awinner
12-07-2003, 01:15 AM
do they do fireworks at midnight, or are the only one going to be at 8:35pm?

Morrigoon
12-07-2003, 02:15 AM
Matt: Haha, that was fun! (The monopoly AND the fake line!)

Germboy
12-07-2003, 02:30 AM
They do fireworks at midnight, to Auld Lang Syne. Last year they brought back the old Fantasy In The Sky music after A.L.S. and ended it with Zip a dee doo dah from Tokyo DL's Fantasy In The Sky. Lot of happy face fireworks and ALOT of the load popping ones. I'm a firework freak if you can't tell. It seems like the 4th of July and New Year's Eve are the two times during the year that Disneyland gets to show off a lot of their "special" pyro.

You'll love it. I'll be there, as always, filming away...:geek:

experiment626
12-07-2003, 09:02 AM
Is there a "Better" place to watch the fireworks/countdown? We will be there and I want to avoid main street/hub because it is nuts on a normal day during the fireworks, I don't even want to think about it NYE. I have a feeling that NOS is going to be nearly as nuts, with the 12:05 Fantasmic.?

dlazechk
12-07-2003, 03:23 PM
the place we like the best is in front of small world. lots of room and there are no obstructions to see the fireworks.

Germboy
12-09-2003, 12:31 AM
Small World area is where we always go as well. It is really crowded, but I can't imagine what Main St. would be like. I guess my advice would be to get to where you are going and stay put. Use the bathroom as often as possible before you get there, and don't drink a lot of liquids unless you want to fight to get to the restrooms and lose your spot.

Also...get there early enough to get hats and noisemakers. One year we went at about 8:00 PM and they had run out.

Overall, plan on hunkering down and just accept the crowds. The fireworks at midnight are well worth it. Have a great time!

experiment626
12-09-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Germboy
Also...get there early enough to get hats and noisemakers. One year we went at about 8:00 PM and they had run out.
Where do you get them?

tod
12-09-2003, 07:47 AM
Over the years, I've seen hats and noisemakers passed out at the entrance gate, and also by Cast Members walking around in the park.

You'll probably get some. They parcel them out through the day.

--T

CoasterMatt
12-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by experiment626
Where do you get them?

They generally setup distribution points - we usually get ours over by the Canoe docks. The distribution points are printed on the maps.

mystycalchyk
12-09-2003, 10:33 AM
i cant wait!!!!!

we go for new years every year.

we are nuts though and are right in the middle of the hub bub hub ;)

we are directly in front of the castle and the front edge of the hub.

:~D we're the ones with the beach balls

16 more days till we leave:fez:

mriverej6
12-09-2003, 09:57 PM
after your totally tired from celebrating they also shut off the shuttle to the MandF structure

way to celebrate the new years....

sit 3 hours to wait for the 12:05 am fantasmic, then fight the crowds to get to the shuttle, then realize the shuttle is closed walk all the way to the structure.

ill be there...ill be the one skateboarding back to the structure because i plan to keep a board at the outside lockers

see you all there

experiment626
12-09-2003, 10:10 PM
Do they really not have a shuttle after the park closes on NYE?? That is so odd? Why would they not have a shuttle on the busiest day / night of the year?? Do they at least tell you that there won't be a shuttle after Xo'clock??

Thank goodness we are staying accross the street this time

Germboy
12-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Nope--it's a surprise!

And you would be there until the next morning waiting for a tram. There's no way they could do it. Just too many people.

mriverej6
12-09-2003, 10:22 PM
if there were a line for the shuttle after the park closes you can bet that that would be the longest line in the whole resort.

longer than.....

the splash mountain at 1pm (if its hot that day)

the line trying to get into DL at 7-8 pm (incase people get sent to DCA)

it would take to get from the center of the hub to anywhere in the park (its just too congested there)

the line for a hot chocolate...anywhere

its really an unwelcome suprise...and its too late to go back to city hall and leave a message about it.

cemeinke
12-10-2003, 02:51 PM
The past two years I've attended NYE the tram shuts down between midnight and 1:30. I believe the reason is the crowds are just too big to be accomodated. Instead your directed along the tram route to walk to the Parking Structure. The Trams run later, so if you're staying till closing you can still get the ride.

mamatojon
12-10-2003, 09:19 PM
My most favorite memory at Disneyland was New Year's Eve 97-98. Sitting on a bench completely exhausted at something like 3 in the morning with my husband; drinking hot cocoa watching the last people leave the park. Truly a magical memory. We didn't get back to the hotel till after 4 and had to leave the next day for the drive back home - a 22 hr drive! :eek:

Of course, I was only 24 and childless then. :p It's amazing what being 30 and towing around a toddler all day can do to your energy level!

tod
12-16-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by experiment626
Do they really not have a shuttle after the park closes on NYE?? That is so odd? Why would they not have a shuttle on the busiest day / night of the year?? Do they at least tell you that there won't be a shuttle after Xo'clock??

There are conspicuous signs saying "There will be no shuttle service from 11:45 PM to 1:30 AM" (or whatever the non-op hours are) at the base of the Mickey & Friends escalators. This is also posted at the Downtown Disney end of the tram route.

Of course the signs can be missed, or ignored. ("They can't mean that. We can just leave after the midnight fireworks and everything will be just fine.") The year The tod Family went to New Year's at Disneyland, we left after the shuttle service restarted (There is no way I am gonna make that walk. I'll wait till daybreak if I have to.) and had no trouble at all getting a tram.

I don't know the reason for the shutdown, but I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of people exiting the park(s) at ten past midnight might have led to overcrowding, short tempers, and unpleasantness.

--T