PDA

View Full Version : I saw humans testing Tower of Terror!

TP2000
12-04-2003, 12:35 PM
For those wondering what "stage" Tower of Terror testing is in, I just witnessed two human beings seated in one of the elevator cars as it was being tested!

The two people in the car were screaming and flailing their hands, and it looked like they were having a lot of fun! The elevator looked like it was testing it's normal drop sequence, because the doors would open and the elevator would appear, then it would drop about 5 feet, pause, then plummet down the shaft and then come flying back up as the exterior doors opened and closed.

But the most noticeable thing was that there were two real live CM's sitting in the front row of this elevator as it was tested. I saw them do two complete "Cycles" over a period of about 5 minutes before it looked like they stopped testing for awhile.

tahnok100
12-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Very cool! I can't wait for it to open! I wonder how many of the effects are working.

sediment
12-04-2003, 02:04 PM
I don't know what "effects" you are referring to. If it's similar to MGM's, then it's some random sequence of ups and downs. "No two rides are alike" is the latest ad there. And "faster than gravity." There didn't appear to be anything more than that to the ride. Did I miss something?

All the aliens in TZ looked like humans (except that one that was a king on his home planet). Could have been aliens.

iwannabeanimagineer
12-04-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by sediment
I don't know what "effects" you are referring to. If it's similar to MGM's, then it's some random sequence of ups and downs. "No two rides are alike" is the latest ad there. And "faster than gravity." There didn't appear to be anything more than that to the ride. Did I miss something?
Ya, you missed 1/2 the ride. MGM has a bunch of very cool special fx at 2 or 3 elevator stops prior to the drops, including the stop where the elevator moves forward out of its shaft and across the floor to the drop shaft. In my opinion, these fx were on par with those of the Haunted Mansion.

millionairegirl
12-04-2003, 03:33 PM
The part where you go throught the 4th dimension (I think that's the dimension, maybe it was 5th?) was the trippiest thing ever. It was so scary. The use of mirrors felt like we were going to plummet over the edge into the starry abyss. I know we have no 4th dimension at DCA, but I'm hoping there is something on par with that. I wasn't spoiled when I went on MGM's TOT, and I'm not going to be spoiled when I go on DCA's. I want to experience the attraction as a, ahem, virgin.

sediment
12-04-2003, 03:45 PM
Oh yeah, that. I was in the front row and saw the track. Poor show, I thought at the time.
I seem to have forgotten everything before the flying-out-of-the-seat part.
My slight problem with the ride is that you know it's going to happen eventually, yet the ride show assumes that you haven't been outside and haven't seen people screaming out the windows. So basically, you're on a ride that will take you to a spot and drop and raise you a number of times. No interesting how and why.

I would have liked a better plot, involving time-travel that is frequently used in TZ episodes, and, of course, a patented TZ twist.
("LeFou, I'm afraid I've been thinking...")

In my version, you're entering a hotel that's been abandoned for years after the lightning incident. Everyone that goes in has never been seen again. Strangely enough, you're in this hotel, even though you know the back story.
Anyway, you are taken by your host to the elevator and put inside. The change I make is that at one of these stops, you suddenly realize that you have traveled back in time, and that the soon-to-be fatal family has joined you in the elevator!! (Some type of projection showing the same scene as in the introduction area, except from the elevator's (your) perspective.) Now that's a TZ twist!!
Apparently, I wasn't consulted...