PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Terror - Changing to a Marvel ride permanently?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

sjhanksaz
03-31-2016, 07:50 AM
Somebody tell me this rumor is false please

I love the ToT the way it is and would hate to see Captain America or Thor in it permanently.

Drince88
03-31-2016, 08:51 AM
The DL Weekly Update last week had a bit about it, and there was some discussion on the point in the thread.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?229476-Disneyland-Resort-Update-for-March-21-28-2016

TTFN92
03-31-2016, 01:51 PM
I, too, hope it's false.

TulaBelle
04-01-2016, 09:00 AM
Oh I hope this is an April Fool's prank. The Tower of Terror is perfect the way it is.

sjhanksaz
04-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Oh I hope this is an April Fool's prank. The Tower of Terror is perfect the way it is.

Good one - too bad the rumor started before April 1st

sjhanksaz
05-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Anyone saw this article?

http://micechat.com/125382-disneyland-guardians-of-the-tower/

I am glad our AP's ran out early this year. We have friends who have been going lately and they say the park is extremely busy. I had never seen some attendance numbers like they quoted here..... interesting stuff.

Berry Princess
05-04-2016, 04:54 PM
The numbers they quoted where from a weekend that had both Bat's Day and Dapper Day happening. They have done that before as well with putting numbers out from a busy weekend but will forget to add those facts into things. I think it was Gay Days last year they did it if I remember right.

tinkerbell24
05-05-2016, 12:09 PM
So I was reading the article http://micechat.com/125382-disneyland-guardians-of-the-tower/ that the idea is from the new Parks Chairman Bob Chapek, it states that he notice that Disney has owned Marvel for five years there isn't a Marvel ride in the park. I agree but why take down ToT?:confused:

olegc
05-05-2016, 02:09 PM
The issue the parks have in immediate future (1 to 2 years) is they can't tear something down and/or build something. So overlay is the thing. And there is such a fervor these days to take advantage of the hot trends and have all things themed to that trend that the bosses (to me anyway) want the Parks to turn on a dime and put something out for the latest popular trend. Yes I agree - they are behind quite a bit in getting anything Marvel in Disneyland or any park - and I think part of that was the problem of cross-control management. Many of the people in Anaheim actually reported to folks in WDW and then they back to Burbank - so since they can't do much with Marvel in Florida there is not a push to do so much in Anaheim. Now that Chapek, who cam from Disney Products (consumer goods), is in place he has no history of the WDW vs DLR issues and just wants to sell more stuff and get more revenue. Good for the company, not so good for fans of other attractions.

oregontraveler
05-05-2016, 02:29 PM
The issue the parks have in immediate future (1 to 2 years) is they can't tear something down and/or build something. So overlay is the thing. And there is such a fervor these days to take advantage of the hot trends and have all things themed to that trend that the bosses (to me anyway) want the Parks to turn on a dime and put something out for the latest popular trend. Yes I agree - they are behind quite a bit in getting anything Marvel in Disneyland or any park - and I think part of that was the problem of cross-control management. Many of the people in Anaheim actually reported to folks in WDW and then they back to Burbank - so since they can't do much with Marvel in Florida there is not a push to do so much in Anaheim. Now that Chapek, who cam from Disney Products (consumer goods), is in place he has no history of the WDW vs DLR issues and just wants to sell more stuff and get more revenue. Good for the company, not so good for fans of other attractions.

Sounds like another Pressler/Harris regime running the show again.

olegc
05-05-2016, 02:41 PM

we'll have to see. Chapek has worked for quite a while for Disney (22 years in Consumer and Film Distribution) but never in any kind of capacity in the Parks division. Pressler only worked a few years in Disney Store then took over Disneyland. There definitely is potential for going on the cheap(er) in order to get things in front of the guest.

Berry Princess
05-05-2016, 02:43 PM

Exactly! That is a scary thing. With rumors of not just ToT but now of Monster's Inc supposedly being dumped and gone for a Marvel coaster to Frontierland as well so they can expand Fantasyland and turn Thunder into the Seven Dwarfs Mine ride. IMO its bad enough that we have a Star Wars themed land going into DL and what has and is being done for that. Some of the things I have read from those that had trips over the last few months started to remind me of how things looked in the park during the Pressler years. It makes me sad in so many ways and at the same time glad we let our APs go last Sept.

bumblebeeonarose
05-06-2016, 07:23 AM
Exactly! That is a scary thing. With rumors of not just ToT but now of Monster's Inc supposedly being dumped and gone for a Marvel coaster to Frontierland as well so they can expand Fantasyland and turn Thunder into the Seven Dwarfs Mine ride. IMO its bad enough that we have a Star Wars themed land going into DL and what has and is being done for that. Some of the things I have read from those that had trips over the last few months started to remind me of how things looked in the park during the Pressler years. It makes me sad in so many ways and at the same time glad we let our APs go last Sept.

That's the first I've heard of Thunder becoming 7D. I doubt that will happen. Thunder Mt. is a staple at Disney parks. If they wanted to build a 7D train they could do so in other areas. The most credible ideas I've heard for Fantasyland expansion are to remove the Fantasyland theater and/or shrink or remove Toon Town. I don't see how removing one coaster just to build a new coaster on the same land makes any sense at all. That's just bad business. The idea of a TOT remake is shocking to guests, but it doesn't have the same cost effects of if they tore down TOT and rebuilt another thrill ride in the exact same place.

Berry Princess
05-06-2016, 07:52 AM
That's the first I've heard of Thunder becoming 7D. I doubt that will happen. Thunder Mt. is a staple at Disney parks. If they wanted to build a 7D train they could do so in other areas. The most credible ideas I've heard for Fantasyland expansion are to remove the Fantasyland theater and/or shrink or remove Toon Town. I don't see how removing one coaster just to build a new coaster on the same land makes any sense at all. That's just bad business. The idea of a TOT remake is shocking to guests, but it doesn't have the same cost effects of if they tore down TOT and rebuilt another thrill ride in the exact same place.

Oh I agree with all you said. I had just read it over on the other site but I take it as just more rumors spread around by some and another site that is claiming they have more on it all but yet to say what. It would be really bad business to fully remove Frontierland and Thunder Mt. IMO. Thunder is a popular ride in the park as well and I could imagine there would be backlash on all that. I know there are many that wish Disney would add it here and the Be Our Guest restaurant but really I am one that feels we don't need to have things like that just because another park does. I really don't want to see more reservation only restaurants in the parks. I think we have more than enough options at this point that we can do without another place added in. I would hope that instead of expanding Fantasyland they would want to work on Tomorrowland. While I am not a ToT fan at all (not my kind of ride), I can understand why many would be unhappy with the changes. Not everyone is into Marvel either.

sjhanksaz
05-06-2016, 12:36 PM
Toon Town can go and make room for 7 dwarves ride along with the restaurant and more

sjhanksaz
05-22-2016, 05:14 PM
So what is next

Turning the Haunted Mansion into the Spiderman Spider House

Nightwing
05-22-2016, 09:46 PM
This shows one major problem or old problem. This needed to be done when Marvel became part of Disney. Not right now! The retheming of TOT is a we need this due to not thinking and planing years ago and not to need to do something with a failing ride. It takes a long time to go from paper to a CM loading or selling a trinket to a guest. TOT works even if you had no clue what the Twightlight zone is. The Plot is self contain and the Guest get it! See the wait to get on it! Its long!

Rather see an expansion for a Marvel section added to DCA. There is room there now to do just this. Would make it a good balance of SW in DL and Marvel in DCA. Not hack and wack which looks dumb and is dumb.

potzbie
05-22-2016, 10:11 PM
Okay. Let's play that game. Pick the chain you would stay at.

• Spiderman Suites

• Hulk Hotel

• Thor's Inn

• Wolverine's Best Western Motel

• Daredevil AirBNB

• Iron Man Bed & Breakfast

• Captain America AirBNB

S.H.I.E.L.D. Inn by Marriott, anyone? :eyeroll:

sjhanksaz
05-23-2016, 03:30 PM
Iron Man's Fly By Night Inn

Thor's Hourly Heights Hotel

stan4d_steph
07-23-2016, 06:18 PM
Officially announced just now at San Diego Comic Con. It will be called Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: Breakout

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/07/guardians-of-the-galaxy-mission-breakout-coming-to-disney-california-adventure-park-summer-2017/

olegc
07-23-2016, 06:24 PM
We don't need no stinkin' themed lands. Just throw it in there... On its way to be westcot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

moofeet
07-23-2016, 06:52 PM
Terrible decision.

olegc
07-23-2016, 09:30 PM
I see that AVP posted a note of the announcement here (https://www.mouseplanet.com/11467/Guardians_of_the_Galaxy_ride_coming_to_Disney_Cali fornia_Adventure). I tried to comment on that story but it doesn't lead to anything - so I will post here. In the complete theory of it all - yes having the original around still is great - but that may only count for those that go to WDW a lot - or exclusively - than DIsneyland. Or have the luxury (my words) of being able to visit both parks - for whatever reason. Great - but I can't. I was able to go to WDW once in 2007 and an can't get enough resources to go again - so I had what I had here. Not any more...

And, in fact, that's really not my true complaint. My complaint is this just seems to be throwing in a ride, then a second, and a third (i would assume that's the plan) to take advantage of the "hotness" of the current IP. So what happens in 10 or 12 years when it may not be as popular anymore? Change another attraction to something else? And what of the theme of Hollywoodland. How do you get Marvel and Frozen mixed together? Will even "Hollywoodland" survive? Will Animation Academy now become a Marvel exclusive? It seems to be destined to be such a hodgepodge to, as Bob Chapek reportedly stated, to take advantage of popular Disney owned properties right now.If that urgency was really there - did they really need the tax break(s) for development if they wanted to take advantage of IP anyway? I know a lot of this is part of the "business" thread - but it comes down to what is the vision for the theme parks long term - or are we destined to have a Universal or Magic Mountain style - where the hot stuff and current trend is thrown in there somewhere to attract fans right now - then wash, rinse, and repeat. That's not a long term vision - that's tactical stock-market like thinking in the theme-park business and I think it really modifies the success factors for the resort. Every time they want to make a change it will be close it for 6 months and reopen - sure lines are long, and we have to raise prices AGAIN because we don't want to really invest any profits, but people still come. You can say "its a business" all you want but I think in another 25 years it won't be so great anymore.

Nikara
07-23-2016, 09:34 PM
Yet another unpopular opinion from me- I really like this idea. Twilight Zone hasn't successfully been on the TV airwaves in many decades. Most younger people going on the ride have never seen the show. The best part of the ride is the fall, which will be improved with this change (they are adding the random drop sequence!). And the original ride will stay intact in WDW. As a big Disney AND Marvel fan, I've been disappointed by how half-heartedly Marvel has been incorporated into the parks- do they even have a presence in a single parade? The idea that this update to the ride would be the start to a larger Marvel presence in one of the parks in a corner of DCA that has essentially no real theming sounds appealing. The next nearest land is A Bugs Land, which is from another non-California themed area. I'm ready for a change, and I'm excited that Marvel will be coming in to DCA. My one caveat is that I'm not the biggest fan of Guardians of the Galaxy- I enjoyed it, but it is far from my favorite movie. Here's hoping that some of the more diverse movies coming up (Black Panther, Captain Marvel) will give new inspiration to the section they are creating...

candles71
07-23-2016, 09:37 PM
I am cautiously optimistic. Having more information than just the rumor, I am much calmer. In fact, I started skimmed another article before coming upon AVP's on FB. I may have to go back and read it, since my brain discounted as more rumor. I am actually digging the whole Collector aspect, way more than it just being GotG. I love the Collector.
We are 45 days out from experiencing the original.