PDA

View Full Version : Proud.

Maleficent0
09-24-2001, 07:20 AM
Proud.

This weekend, to get away from the world, my daughter and I enjoyed a beautiful Saturday at Disneyland. The public still obviously spooked, since the crowds were as light as a fall weekday. We enjoyed ourselves, as usual; at sunset, we found ourselves at the flag pole near the entrance of the park.

In the Marine Corps, part of my duty was to perform the morning and evening colors ceremony with other Marines. I must have been part of this ceremony at least 100 times, and have witnessed it much more. Knowing that, I try not to be critical of the participants of Disneyland’s colors ceremony. They usually try hard, but they definitely fall short of the precision that I had grown accustomed. I have seen the evening colors ceremony at Disneyland many, many times. That’s not a fact many people can boast, because usually, there’s very few people paying attention to this less than exciting event, by Disney standards.

Until Saturday.

As we awaited the ceremony, hundreds of people grew near the flag pole. Considering that the attendance was sharply lower than usual, the crowd must have accounted for nearly a quarter of the park.

Marching with exacting measure in stride, the three Disneyland participants approached the flag pole. Their uniforms, white button down shirts with gray slacks were freshly pressed and displayed military creases. The orders to take places around the flag pole were given, sharply and with confidence. The orders were executed, sharply and with confidence.

The flag was raised to full staff. The National Anthem played. The crowd sang, loudly, as eyes watered.

Proud.

I’m fortunate that my daughter doesn’t yet understand the tragedy that has befallen this country. However, if I had one wish, it would be that she could remember and understand this amazing moment that played before her on that beautiful Saturday evening.

Napsto
09-24-2001, 02:47 PM
thats cool you enjoyed it. iwish i was there.

Disney Crone/Kid
09-24-2001, 02:50 PM
This gave me goose bumps. Of the poignant variety. Thanks for sharing these special moments with your daughter. Imprinted by the heartfelt emotions around her, they will be remembered...