PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours

disneyfreak2727
12-01-2003, 08:28 AM
In the many times I have been to Disneyland, I have never been on this ride. We have it on our do try list this visit though. Can you all tell me what it is like / about?
Thanks!

mousey_girl
12-01-2003, 08:41 AM
This ride makes me extremly ill. My Hubby and I usually argue about who has to take The Boy on it. Luckily this is not very often.

Think of the motion simulators at a local fair. Enclosed room, no fresh or moving air.

If you have a tendancy towards motion sickness it is not worth the pain.

Bill Catherall
12-01-2003, 09:18 AM
Like mousey_girl said, it's a motion/flight simulator. If you want a "violent" ride sit in the back. Sitting in the front rows will give a more tame ride.

The story of the ride is you're taking a flight to Endore. So the queue is the interior of a spaceport. Of course, if the flight went according to plan then it wouldn't be very exciting, so expect the unexpected.

iwannabeanimagineer
12-01-2003, 10:48 AM
My opinion differs from those of other people who have posted on this thread:

I LOVE Star Tours! It has a fairly entertaining queue area featuring R2D2 and C3PO, as well as other entertaining characters and special effects, some original and some lifted from the Star Wars universe. The ride itself is exciting even after dozens of times riding it. My daughters have enjoyed the ride from about the age of 5 and found it as thrilling as a roller coaster and less intimidating. Neither I nor anyone in my extended family has experienced any nausea or discomfort, regardless of the seat we occupied; although, I understand other people have experienced it. I highly recommend the ride.

Bill Catherall
12-01-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by iwannabeanimagineer
My opinion differs from those of other people who have posted on this thread: Well, since I didn't offer my opinion, you surely don't mean me? ;)

I love it too. I wish the line in the queue were longer so I could spend more time in there, but due to Fast Pass you practically run past some of the best parts.

Due to the action and physics of the ride there really is a difference among the rows of seats. You'll get a much more exciting ride from the back (which is basically what I meant to say but may not have come out right the first time).

I am prone to motion sickness in cars, but not in Star Tours. However, my wife does get sick on Star Tours, so your mileage may vary. You can't really know for sure until you try it yourself.

justagrrl
12-01-2003, 12:18 PM
My 9 year old and 5 year old both love this ride. No motion sickness for any of us.

After having ridden it many times, we happened to end up on a ship with a large group of young Asian men, dressed very nicely who spoke no English, and appeared to have never been on before. One of the best rides we ever had. Lot's of laughter, gasping, and ahhhh-ing.

blusilva
12-01-2003, 12:40 PM
I get motion sickness on Soarin' Over California, but not on Star Tours. Go figure.

Star Tours is exactly what I wished Star Wars the movie would have been when the movie came out. A movie with a theater that put you in the middle of the action. When I first went on Star Tours back in 88 or so, I wished I could have sued them for using an idea of mine. But since I had never written it down, I couldn't. :)

I would highly recommend not going on Star Tours 8 times in a row. 7 times, fine. That 8th trip is a doozy, though.

hazlnut
12-01-2003, 02:35 PM
I love the ride. I remember the first time I took my son on it. He was 6 years old and during the final battle started screaming out, "No hits, no hits, no hits!"--thinking we were really going to get blasted by the Death Star.

But alas, another great queue going to total waste because of bad placement of the FP entrance--people just rushing right by R2 and 3PO...

Icy Bacon
12-01-2003, 02:36 PM
I personally find Star Tours to be the least nauseating full size simulator ride I've been on. I suggest leaning back in your seat and not trying to balance with the motion, since on this ride the video is actually synched with the motion and doesn't disorient too many people.

sediment
12-01-2003, 03:00 PM
I like it. I try to go on every time I'm there.
If it's your first time ("and, well...."), take a good, long look at the queue. Lots of interesting things going on. Some dialogue betweeen R2D2 and C3PO, some rather anti-authoritarian animatronics, a little torture scene, some monitors with displays of places to visit from this particular port, etc.
Let people pass you while you take it all in. It can help to get immersed.

innerSpaceman
12-01-2003, 03:17 PM
Another great thing about the back row is that the seats there are higher from the floor. The flight sensation is greatly amplified if your feet are not touching the ground.

If you don't happen to be vertically challenged (like yours truly), then try to purposely keep your feet off the floor, sit in the back row if possible, try to get as center a seat as possible in your row, and hang on for a steller trip to the Moon of Endor ... or some such location in a galaxy far, far away.

MonorailMan
12-01-2003, 03:34 PM
I love it also! :)

While it gets old after a while, it's always fun the first time! :)

timl33
12-01-2003, 04:49 PM
If you have the chance, take some time in the queue area to admire everything. Don't go straight through the usually empty line after the entrance. It's very well themed, and there are several little "commercials" that play.

Even after 15 years or so, I still notice new stuff on either the ride or the queue area.

MrTomMorrow
12-01-2003, 05:06 PM
Yes, the queue is super-cool... I love it when they page "Mr. Egroeg Sacul," which is George Lucas spelled backwards, and I know what they're talking about.

DisneyFan25863
12-01-2003, 05:21 PM
I LOVE this ride! I actually spent one entire day at DL just riding it over....and over.....and over.....and over......and over.....and over....and so on.

I've never gotten sick on it, either :)

DrIndianaJones
12-01-2003, 07:57 PM
Lucas has promised to make several new "flights" for Star Tours once the new films are finished, so about 2006 or so we will see some new trips.

sambo
12-01-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by DrIndianaJones
Lucas has promised to make several new "flights" for Star Tours once the new films are finished, so about 2006 or so we will see some new trips.

2006 is when Eisner's contract is up - Eisner ticked Lucas off...

Coincidence - I think not.

Morrigoon
12-01-2003, 10:02 PM
Try sitting in the back row and crossing your legs at the ankles (if you're medium height, this should be sufficient to get your feet reasonably off the floor).

iwannabeanimagineer
12-02-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by MrTomMorrow
I love it when they page "Mr. Egroeg Sacul," which is George Lucas spelled backwards, and I know what they're talking about.
Ironically, my favorite thing to listen for is when they page Mr. Tom Morrow! :)