PDA

View Full Version : Superstar Limo officially RIP, all references removed from Disneyland.com

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
11-30-2003, 06:34 PM
Superstar Limo is NO MORE! All references have been removed from the Disney web site.... This must be the record for the shortest lived attraction, taking the record from Rocket Rods, both with similar long deaths...

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/detail/parkMap?id=DCAParkMapPage

Andrew
11-30-2003, 06:45 PM
Is it gone from the "Guide to the Magic" (fka "Disneyland Today") handouts as well? The most recent I could find around here is from early October and it was there then.

I don't know if you can really say it's "officially" dead until some press release or other statement is received from Disney. The presence or absence of a listing on a Web site doesn't quite meet that standard for me.

LifelongAngelsFan
11-30-2003, 06:48 PM
I just came from DCA and the Guides list SSL.

Darkbeer
11-30-2003, 06:56 PM
They even removed it from the refurb listings...

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/calendar/index?selectedDate=12/01/2003

(Note, the castle is still listed...)

And where was the Rocket Rods official release???

The new guide comes out December 5th, wonder if it will be listed then?

newhdplayer
11-30-2003, 06:57 PM
Say it ain't so. SSL was the best ride at DCA.

shawnarae
11-30-2003, 07:47 PM
I never rode SSL, what was the ride like? Just curious, since many people seemed to have liked it.

DisneyFan25863
11-30-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by shawnarae
I never rode SSL, what was the ride like? Just curious, since many people seemed to have liked it.

Think about having the flu. Now multiply that by 5. You have SSL

;)

BTT
11-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by LifelongAngelsFan
I just came from DCA and the Guides list SSL.

The guides were printed over a week ago, and last through Dec. 4th. And, besides, according to the guide, DCA wasn't going to be open on Nov. 30th (no hours listed)

Ben

hazlnut
11-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by shawnarae

Shameless promotions for ABC sitcoms--became outdated when shows went off the air.

I always wondered if there were legal issues as well with the animatronic Tim Allen, Drew Carrey, Whoopi, Ellen, etc.

cstephens
11-30-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by BTT
The guides were printed over a week ago, and last through Dec. 4th. And, besides, according to the guide, DCA wasn't going to be open on Nov. 30th (no hours listed).

Yeah, we noticed that today as we were going into DCA. I commented to my husband that it was an illusion, that we weren't actually going into DCA because there were no hours listed.

SSL was listed on the ticket booths today as still being closed, so it hasn't completely disappeared yet.

Doodle Duck
11-30-2003, 09:48 PM
"I always wondered if there were legal issues as well with the animatronic Tim Allen, Drew Carrey, Whoopi, Ellen, etc. "

uh...they weren't exactly Animatronic...just dolled up dept. store dummies with hardly any movement....not as STIFF as the real D list celebs though.

No legality...Disney owned them lock stock and bad habits! And they were so MINOR in status that this ride was most all the notariety they were lucky to be getting.

"since many people seemed to have liked it."

Wow...don't know where that one came from. Many people like Athletes Foot Spray too...for the same reasons.

BJW
11-30-2003, 11:50 PM
This is terrible! I'm not saying this is the best dark ride in existence, but it's sitting there collecting dust. With a park that has too few rides anyway, you'd think they'd want to operate the ride just for the capacity. This ride isn't any worse than Heimlich's Chew-Chew Train and probably irritated people equally as much. Why not keep it open if you're going to keep less quality attractions open?

sleepyjeff
11-30-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by newhdplayer
Say it ain't so. SSL was the best ride at DCA.

With the following exceptions I would agree.

King Tritons Carousel, California Screamin, Maliboomer, Orange Stinger, Jumpin Jellyfish, Mullholland Madness, Grizzly River Run, Soarin over California( it's sort of a ride? ), and Heimlichs Chew Chew.

Even if Golden Dreams was a ride, it would not have made my list.

Woodpecker Planet
12-01-2003, 06:50 PM
Too bad I'll never get to ride this. It seems this ride was atypical of the reasons people (on this message board, at least) give about not liking the overall theme of DCA. I guess when you grow up in the LA area, you actually see the stars in person all the time, and you can visit the real Hollywood just down the street. Maybe SSL should have been built at MGM here in Orlando.

Here, we don't veiw people like Tim Allen, star of two of the biggest live action Disney films in modern times (and I won't even mention those little Toy Story movies), as being a D list star. Same goes for Whoopi. Not that they are my favorites, and personally I would have preferred other stars besides them, but it comes down to your own personal opinion. Obviously they are still finding great success though. Besides its silly to think that Disney's ABC connection wouldn't creep into the park at some point.

But I guess if the ride isn't about some silly talking fish, then it doesn't have that Disney "magic" for some people.

I really wish Disney would have redone this ride without abandoning the original concept. It's a good concept. It's a very typical Disney concept about magical places and living out your fantasies in them. They just needed to tone down on some of the less popular stars like Drew Carrey and Joan Rivers and maybe add some thrills to the ride system somehow. Not everything is going to be a "Pirates" right out of the box. Some things are a work in progess.

Does anyone think there's any chance this could wind up at MGM or the Paris Studios? They do love Jerry Lewis in France afterall, so maybe Drew Carrey is their man.

blusilva
12-01-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Woodpecker Planet
Too bad I'll never get to ride this. It seems this ride was atypical of the reasons people (on this message board, at least) give about not liking the overall theme of DCA. I guess when you grow up in the LA area, you actually see the stars in person all the time, and you can visit the real Hollywood just down the street. Maybe SSL should have been built at MGM here in Orlando.

You're right. I hope you get it some day.

Me, I'll be content with standing in line with the D-list (and, yeah, even some C and B list) "stars" at my local Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. I don't even wanna look at the real thing when all I want is my morning java.

Tigertail777
12-01-2003, 10:31 PM
ummm a friend sent me some very nicely shot video of the ride, and if I had to point out any ONE thing that was major awful about SSL, it was the very very annoying "narration" on the video screen in the car... its VERY obnoxious like fran dreschers voice turned up to max volume and then being dragged across a chalkboard.

Then on top of that, there was little to no movement throughout the entire thing, and everything was painted in shades of black-light day-glo that could possibly make the pooh ride in Disneyland look like tame pastels. If you cant entertain you might as well suck out people's optics.:rolleyes:

Really there wasnt much of a story, or storytelling going on either, just the video of the guy in the car telling you he would make you star in the most annoying voice possible, and saying essentially the same thing over and over and over.

The ride also looked like it was excrutiatingly slow so your eyes had time to soak in all the day-glo I guess. It was really trying far too hard to be hip and edgy and really had very little that was funny (other than laughing at what passed for AA's in there).

UncleGDogWord
12-02-2003, 07:57 AM
I like Superstar!

It was a wierd ride, all the people looked like they were designed by the Kroft Brothers (Sigmun the Sea Monster, The Bugaloos, HR Pufinstuf)

hbquikcomjamesl
12-02-2003, 08:05 AM
It was a mildly cute dark ride, but a disappointing one. As I recall, most of it was based on in-jokes (I recall noticing a storefront marked "Madame Leota's fortunetelling") that were too esoteric for casual visitors to get, and too lame for regulars to find funny the second time.

The show: You're a big star, and your plane has just landed at LAX. You're taken on a wild ride by the limo driver, with your agent constantly butting in by videophone. In the outside queue, you heard a cleaned-up version of the "white zone/red zone" running gag from the "Airplane" movies, and in the inside queue, you were "entertained" (and I use the term very loosely) by monitors showing an ersatz Joan Rivers (I can't remember whether it was a puppet or computer animated), doing an ersatz hollywood news report.

The big disappointment was that I was expecting a scaled-down version of the Great Movie Ride.

SacTown Chronic
12-02-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Woodpecker Planet

Here, we don't veiw people like Tim Allen, star of two of the biggest live action Disney films in modern times (and I won't even mention those little Toy Story movies), as being a D list star. Same goes for Whoopi. Not that they are my favorites, and personally I would have preferred other stars besides them, but it comes down to your own personal opinion. Obviously they are still finding great success though.

Only in Tim Allen's wildest dreams is he a D list star. If he's not the most overrated fraud ever perpetrated by Hollywood, I don't know who is.

dude
12-02-2003, 09:45 AM
I went on SSL January 30, 2001 during the AP preview of DCA. I thought that the ride was really bad, except for the part where they take your picture and you don't realize it. That wasn't the best either because you couldn't buy the picture. Anyway, the next time I went to DCA after that, which was about 5 months, I think, it was closed and had been for some time. That tells you how many people really went on it.

cstephens
12-02-2003, 10:53 AM
Darkbeer - SSL is on the daily schedule page (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/calendar/index?selectedDate=12/02/2003) listed under the refurb section. Seeing as how it's not running, it would make sense for them not to list it on the page you linked to.

UncleGDogWord
12-02-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
Darkbeer - SSL is on the daily schedule page (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/calendar/index?selectedDate=12/02/2003) listed under the refurb section. Seeing as how it's not running, it would make sense for them not to list it on the page you linked to.

Well, at least we got to remoniss about SSL and our love for it.

I hear the sad Brady Music comming.

CoasterMatt
12-02-2003, 07:25 PM
I still say that SSL could be a really fun ride with a few minor changes...

Instead of being the "BIG NEW STAR" arriving in Hollywood, why not try this...

First, redo the starting point from LAX to The Betty Ford Clinic.

Next, change the storyline to be that you've escaped from the clinic, and you're on a drug addled romp through Hollywood - with your special host, Robert Downey Jr.! All the wild colors and distorted characters FINALLY almost make sense!

Darkbeer
12-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by cstephens

The link worked and was correct when I posted it on November 30th. The date I picked was 12/1/03, which now makes the page "expired".

And it looks like SSL has been added back to the refurb pages... wonder if this thread had anything to do with it. But the Sleeping Beauty Castle walkthrough is also listed, and we all know that it won't reopen.

But the Ride is still not listed or shown in the DCA maps and list of attractions....

cstephens
12-08-2003, 10:20 AM
SSL is still listed on the newly-released parks map.