PDA

View Full Version : Rain / Fantasmic

disneyfreak2727
11-30-2003, 04:22 PM
Next Sunday we have tickets to the preferred seating to Fantasmic (can't wait) .....looked up the weather and it shows a chance of rain. Now I know that it's a week out and so I have a chance of that changing, but my question is, do they cancel the show when it is raining ? How about the fireworks?
Thanks for your info,

HBTiggerFan
11-30-2003, 04:40 PM
I have seen the non-holiday fireworks in heavy rain, so the answer would be no, they don't cancel them to do rain, but they cancel both due to wind. Believe can also be canceled due to wind in the higher atmosphere above Disneyland. They usually wait as long as possible for weather conditions to change before canceling a show.

disneyfreak2727
11-30-2003, 04:42 PM
Thats good to know because ive been stressing about that,thank you!!!

Darkbeer
11-30-2003, 05:22 PM
Snow can be cancelled by the rain, since it is glycerin. It could cause a slippery surface, which is not good when you spray Main Street with the stuff....:fez:

MrVor
11-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Fantasmic would be cancelled for 7 mph sustained winds or 14 mph gusts.

Bruce Bergman
12-01-2003, 07:42 AM
They can run the fireworks shows in a drizzle to light rain, if the winds aren't too high. If they expect a little wet, they just load the fireworks and put a sheet of foil over the tubes to keep them dry. But they cannot load wet mortar tubes, or load the show while it's seriously raining.

The big wind problem is "What goes up must come down", and they can't run the fireworks if the fallout is blowing into the park or out of the backstage areas. They can steer the mortar tubes into the wind to an extent, to make up for wind effects on the shells going up, but the cardboard and plastic debris coming down is wind driven only.

And the "no snow if the streets are wet" precautions are overkill - they did tests with wet streets before the show debut, and they have to leave the "snow" running for an hour to build up enough residue to get slippery.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

spectromen
12-03-2003, 11:48 AM
I was amazed that Fantasmic ran in it's entirety in fairly heavy rainfall on Halloween night this year (second show 10:30pm). The only variation at all that I noticed was that Maleficent stayed on the ground rather than "growing" up.