PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Still Spotted

merlinjones
09-22-2001, 12:33 PM
So Scrooge's rumored conversion lasted only until the stocks dropped. LA Times provides character witness:

"We're going to use our own media companies to make sure the word gets out that it's a good idea to have a good time after a period of mourning - - to come to our parks, movies and buy "Snow White" on DVD," Eisner said.

So much for the effectiveness of sensitivity training. (What do you do now? I'm going to Disneyland!)

09-22-2001, 01:58 PM
This one goes in the "No One Could Make This Stuff Up" file.

merlinjones
09-24-2001, 06:46 AM
Well, if he really wants to be a clever opportunist...

Why not release "Song of the South" on video now?

The company desperately needs the two hundred million dollars this title would generate. With the media engrossed in the coverage of pending war, any whining or boycotting of "SotS" (if indeed there were any, which I doubt) would seem irrelevant, trivial and inconsequential in light of current events - - likely any controversy would not even make the papers (other than trades) at this point.

Open availability of historic and artistic and intellectual works are vital to the health of America as a nation. This film should not be supressed.

And with the company having lost one third of its value, not using this incredible asset is simply financial irresponsibility.

Nigel2
09-24-2001, 10:38 PM
I wouldn't expect any buisnessman to stop for too long when anything, no matter how bad it was, happens. Thats how you remain at the top people. But announcing it like that seems rather, well unwise. It can hurt public image especially.

USofA
09-24-2001, 11:18 PM
sorry, but I must disagree. We all cheered when the Politico's said we must get on with life, etc etc etc. So here, a company that has been very sensitive over the last two weeks trues to motivate people to spend money on its products. (which in light of the economic downturn the company desperately needs) people cry fowl. What gives.

If you want to still enjoy disney, then you should encourage people to spend disney when the company does good. And we all agree (for the most part) that the company "done good" this past two weeks. If the company sees a positive response to its actions of late, maybe they will continue to act in this manner.

I say good job Mike, now lets spend some money and show them we appreciate it. And as a stockholder of WDC, I say yeah, the price went down, i bought more, now lets make the company worth something again.

Scott

Cadaverous Pallor
09-25-2001, 12:33 PM
I agree with USofA. The only way to get beyond this is to act normally, enjoy ourselves as free Americans. Would you guys be happier if Eisner closed down the parks for a month as a sign of mourning? Plus, the economy is in jeopardy, and the only way to shore it up is to go out and spend (especially on things related to tourism, the most highly afffected business in the country right now).

The best way any entertainment company can help with any catastrophe is to provide a bit of an escape. Let Eisner do what he's supposed to do; try keep the company on an earning track.