PDA

View Full Version : Passholder renewal talk

olegc
01-13-2016, 10:35 AM
It's probably a typical cm-guest non sanctioned conversation but OC Register noted a tweet that this would be the final year to renew SoCal passes. Anyone else hear this or have insight?

I can't imagine they would get rid of a lower end pass with limited dates. Last time they tried to prevent renewal it backfired somewhat (more people renewed at Deluxe level).

AnotherJenny
01-13-2016, 12:55 PM
I think that if Universal gets rid of their lower level passes then there's a good chance Disney will follow suit. I'm planning to keep my So Cal Select for another year if I can, because I have parking. Otherwise I probably would have lapsed again. But we'll see what's available. I also know several people who are doing the So Cal ticket offer at this point because they've removed the fuse. It's a good deal if you can only go on weekends anyway, you can spread out three Saturdays over 5 months and even buy the offer twice and still pay less than a Deluxe AP. I know people with Deluxe APs who only end up going a few more than six days per year anyway.

currence
01-13-2016, 01:22 PM
I know people with Deluxe APs who only end up going a few more than six days per year anyway.

This was us - and we've not renewed any of our passes for our family (It's the first time in 22 years that I don't have a pass or plans to renew my pass). We mostly averaged once per month, so around 12 times per year, but my son didn't want to go that often anymore. We are taking some time off, going to other So Cal theme parks, and will eventually buy discounted tickets for specific visits (i.e. CHOC or the So Cal ticket offer) but I don't see us buying passes again anytime soon.

I will be very interested to see what happens to weekend crowds if the So Cal Pass is eliminated. I could see them keeping the So Cal Select - since that is still available and still accomplishes the purposes of spreading the crowds to days that aren't otherwise horribly crowded - and possibly adding a few more blackout days to the Deluxe.

if they do decide to eliminate the So Cal Pass, it would be nice if they let those passholders know if advance so that they could start planning now for alternatives. They are likely to storm the gates regardless though, so it kinda depends on when Disney wants to deal with the backlash. If I were them, I would announce it during a busy news period - the next event like Paris or San Bernardino, or maybe the weekend of the Presidential election (though since the next President will presumably get to be an animatronic I would probably focus on that press release and not on discontinuing an overly popular pass).

bumblebeeonarose
01-13-2016, 06:47 PM
With the recent changes to Premium passes, this wouldn't surprise me. I could see them doing as they did with the Premium passes. Come up with something "new" that works for them and give it a different name (or names) and then phase out the current pass(es).

Nightwing
01-13-2016, 08:08 PM
With the recent changes to Premium passes, this wouldn't surprise me. I could see them doing as they did with the Premium passes. Come up with something "new" that works for them and give it a different name (or names) and then phase out the current pass(es).

That makes sense.

The real catch on this is how they handles the shutdown of items for over a year. The M&G for the Rail Road, Mark Twain and Columbia sounds interesting. But if they have a drops in attendance then probably wont kill off the lowest pass.

GrannyGear
01-14-2016, 06:21 PM
I think there are a lot of us not renewing various passes this year. I have had a Deluxe for years (I live in NoCal so only get to come about 12 days/year) with so much closed down this year it seemed like a good time to do something else

Nightwing
01-14-2016, 07:58 PM
I think there are a lot of us not renewing various passes this year. I have had a Deluxe for years (I live in NoCal so only get to come about 12 days/year) with so much closed down this year it seemed like a good time to do something else

Have heard that from friends not renewing their passes.

queenbetsey
01-18-2016, 01:41 PM
a few years back we let our passes go for a couple of years, took that money for a wdw trip

potzbie
01-18-2016, 10:06 PM
Since the construction will be ongoing so long, then perhaps a 12-month hiatus from the Anaheim resort would be a good time to think about vacationing at (a.) the Orlando resort; (b.) the other non-Disney theme parks, like Universal Studios, Knott's Berry Farm.

In retrospect, I should not have renewed my AP in December, because I could have used that money toward Walt Disney World in Orlando, or the Disney Museum in San Francisco -- i.e. places which I have never been to.

Moedad
01-19-2016, 01:21 PM
We let our Deluxe passes expire last June (can't remember when we DIDN'T have passes) and got Knott's Berry Farm 2016 APs (two passes, one with parking, no blockouts for less than ONE So Cal pass at the DLR) instead. On the plus side, we get to see Billy Hill and the Hillbillies again (now Krazy Kirk and the Hillbillies), and Knott's is less than 3 miles from our house. On the minus side, Knott's closes earlier than Disneyland at night. I did most of my Disney visits at night, so I find myself going to Knott's less than I did to DLR. Also The Billies only do 3 shows on Saturdays most of the year and that's it, so we have to go on the most crowded day of the week to see them (although "crowded" at Knott's is very different than "crowded" at DLR). All in all, I find myself craving DLR. Each day I fight the urge to go down and get another Deluxe pass. It's worse at night. Are there 12 step meetings?

Janis and Aaron
01-19-2016, 05:33 PM
In retrospect, I should not have renewed my AP in December, because I could have used that money toward Walt Disney World in Orlando, or the Disney Museum in San Francisco -- i.e. places which I have never been to.

The Disney Family Museum in SF is absolutely amazing! I hope you are able to take a trip there some day. It's fantastic.

Free Agent
02-01-2016, 05:08 PM
Can you add Parking to the So Cal Select?
I see DL is offering the pass again for $329

tea4two
02-01-2016, 05:18 PM
I think the parking add on is only avalable to those who are grandfathered in. I don't think you can buy a new parking add on right now.

Seashellmama
02-01-2016, 10:20 PM
Indeed, parking is renewal-only. SoCal Select was never stopped, it is the SoCal pass that is no longer available for new purchase.

Free Agent
02-02-2016, 11:04 AM
I think the parking add on is only avalable to those who are grandfathered in. I don't think you can buy a new parking add on right now.

Indeed, parking is renewal-only. SoCal Select was never stopped, it is the SoCal pass that is no longer available for new purchase.

Thank you.
We let ours lapse and now are jumping back in.