PDA

View Full Version : Park Photographer Pictures Question

Wanda Woman
11-26-2003, 01:06 PM
I've never had a picture snapped by one of the Park photographers.

If I did, could I use the pic for Christmas cards? Can I get copies of the pic? Are the pics available in digital form? Will the pic cost an arm and a leg or just an arm?

Inquiring minds. T minus 10 days to a week of DLR fun!!

Wanda Woman

AAbabwa
11-26-2003, 02:18 PM
I was at Disneyland last weekend and although I didn't buy one of the pictures from them so I can't answer your questions but a few of the photographers that we ran into were willing to use my camera to take the same picture.

Nephythys
11-26-2003, 02:28 PM
Don't know about the Christmas card thing-

Cost, depends on what you buy. An 8x10 is like $15 plus tax (something like that) and the more you buy the lower the cost per pics go. They have several sizes and I know they have postcard versions, not sure about the Holiday theme though-

No digital, they don't want to let you make copies (lost revnue I betcha) although you can do wonders with color copiers and the pics are not copyrighted (I don't think)

:D

EandCDad
11-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Nephythys
and the pics are not copyrighted (I don't think)

Once you buy it, I think it's pretty much yours. I would do two things, take your own digital camera (if you have one) and have the photographers take one with your camera after they take one with theirs (they usually do a very good job). Buy the picture from Disney (if it's good) and then scan it yourself (or at Kinkos). Be sure to go to different locations and get your picture taken so you have options when you go to the picture viewing location.

Also, the picture viewing location (on main street) can get very crowded at the end of the day. If you have a multi-day trip, try viewing the pictures from the previous day the next morning, they keep them for at least one extra day.

shawnarae
11-26-2003, 04:54 PM
I bought some photos when I was there last weekend, and they all have a copyright logo on them along with a Disney Logo. I don't know if you could make copies without their permission because of this. I could be wrong. I know the Disney Cruiseline has a release for people who buy photos from them on the cruiseboat. So you can take the pictures to the Kodak machines or wherever to get copied. Maybe if you scan them at home yourself that would be fine, I am not sure. I bought 5x7 sizes and wallets, but I am sure they have other sizes. Probably 3x5 and of course 8x10. If they were to print them you would just have to pay them. I think the prices were like $16.95 for the 1st package (1 5x7 & sheet of 4 wallets), then $12.95 for each addition package.

RickW
11-26-2003, 04:57 PM
"The law says that the copyright owner of a photo or image is the person that snapped the shutter or created the image. If you took the photo, you own the copyright. If a professional photographer took the photo for you, then he or she owns the copyright. If the photographer is the employee of a studio or other company in the business of making photos, then his or her employer is considered the copyright holder."

- Photo Marketing Assn. International

That being said, a photo studio such as Olan Mills will generally give permission for the use of an image if they do not offer the product or service. For example, if Olan Mills does not make Christmas cards, then their policy is to allow the use of an Olan Mills photograph to be used on a Christmas card. This permission will be granted in writing, and should be obtained before using the image in any way.

If you plan to make Christmas cards on your inkjet printer, you probably will have no problems from Disney. If, however, you plan to take the Disney owned image to a third party to make Christmas cards for you, then you will most likely have a problem. Most reputable photo finishers will decline to reproduce a studio shot for any reason.

Disney's policy on this is open for conjecture. Perhaps someone can ask them?

Wanda Woman
12-01-2003, 08:32 AM
Thanks to all of you who responded!

I will try asking the photogs to snap a pic with my camera, but I will also ask for their shots as well. Since we'll be there for multiple days, we'll be sure to view the photos in the morning; what a great suggestion!

I'm hoping for a nice photo taken with my camera for our Christmas card picture. If not, I'll have to see what options I have for turning their professional photos into Christmas cards.

Thanks again for all of your excellent suggestions!

Lani
12-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Cast members will gladly snap any photo with your camera you ask them to take. Why not figure out what backgrounds you want, then continue to ask CMs to snap photos for you through the day? It will be on your own camera so you are free to do what you wish with them.

sambo
12-01-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Lani
Cast members will gladly snap any photo with your camera you ask them to take. Why not figure out what backgrounds you want, then continue to ask CMs to snap photos for you through the day? It will be on your own camera so you are free to do what you wish with them.

...although the CM still legally owns the copyright. :rolleyes:

Bruce Bergman
12-02-2003, 08:07 AM
You can't walk into a photo processors and have them make copies of a copyrighted professional portrait print without the written permission of the copyright holder - that includes Ride Photos like at Splash Mountain. But most copyright holders will allow copies to be made if they can't find the original negative/digital media to make you another copy...

Originally posted by Lani
Originally posted by sambo
...although the CM still legally owns the copyright. :rolleyes:

Technically, Disney does own the copyright to that picture, since they employed the photographer in question and you can't be standing behind the camera taling a picture of yourself (without a tripod and a self-timer or some sort of remote control...)

But that boils down to: If it's your camera and film (or digital media) that is being used, under your care and control, you are the copyright holder for personal pictures. And they're not in the business of tracking you down over something trivial like that.

If the photograph was going to be used for commercial uses like postcards or a book, and you could track down the CM that took the photo for you, they should be legally and financially compensated as the photographer of that shot, but that's getting into "splitting hairs" territory...

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

DonaldDuck14
12-02-2003, 10:37 AM
well first off iam currently a photographer at DCA and i know the prices by heart. here is my speil..."our 8x10's are 16.95 each (18.26 with tax) and they ONLY come with mickey, donald, and goofy for a border. ONE 5x7 costs 12.95 (13.95 with tax) and that only comes with a the DCA logo and year. We do have postcards size (4x6) and they are actual postcards and u can get TWO for 12.95 (13.95 with tax) or FOUR for 19.95 ( i believe its 21.50 with tax) an dthose come with the DCA logo and year. and our last option is A 5x7 and FOUR wallets package for 16.95 (18.26) and thpose come with the DCA logo as well."
And a bit of a favor, whenever we approach u to ask for a picture just be kind enough to say no POLITELY, some people are just very rude to us and a simple no would have done it. We're sorry if u've been asked multiple times, but we are not psychic and we don't know that....we do have to make a living too. have fun at the park!

Andrew
12-02-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by DonaldDuck14
And a bit of a favor, whenever we approach u to ask for a picture just be kind enough to say no POLITELY, some people are just very rude to us and a simple no would have done it. We're sorry if u've been asked multiple times, but we are not psychic and we don't know that....we do have to make a living too. have fun at the park!

I always smile and say "No thank you!".