PDA

View Full Version : 2016 So Cal Resident Ticket Offer - The deal we all saw coming.

AnotherJenny
01-06-2016, 08:41 AM
Although I was expecting the announcement on January 11th. If it wasn't raining today it would be a great deal for anyone who could hurry down to catch the end of the holiday stuff.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/offers-discounts/southern-california-tickets/

Not a bad deal, it's only a $40 upcharge for a hopper, which is normally $56.

cstephens
01-06-2016, 09:32 AM
Is this deal different than the SoCal resident discount tickets they normally offer every year?

AnotherJenny
01-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Is this deal different than the SoCal resident discount tickets they normally offer every year?

It's not always a given, they didn't offer it 3 years ago at all. The cheapest ticket is $10 more than last year, but the rest of them are actually cheaper.

potzbie
01-07-2016, 01:10 AM
I did a spreadsheet to amortize the cost over the number of days (2 or 3).
Compare to the traditional N-day ticket.
Only the 5-day ticket beats the per-day equivalent. - Under $60 per day. That's a deal.

josephfive
01-12-2016, 07:32 AM
So what are you saying potzbie? I haven't had my coffee yet and I don't understand which is the better deal?

currence
01-12-2016, 07:49 AM
I did a spreadsheet to amortize the cost over the number of days (2 or 3).
Compare to the traditional N-day ticket.
Only the 5-day ticket beats the per-day equivalent. - Under $60 per day. That's a deal.

The bigger deal in my opinion is that there is no f-use on the tickets. So unlike the N-day tickets, where you only have 14 days to use them, these tickets give you a much longer window. I like to think of them as mini-annual passes (obviously without any of the discounts/perks of an actual annual pass).

potzbie
01-15-2016, 01:42 AM
I did a spreadsheet.
If you were shopping for the "lowest possible PER-DAY admission fee" for Disneyland, then below is my information.

[Assume: ADULT tix; various multi-day tickets; amortized over the maximum number of visits allowed for that ticket.]
[Grouped by "single-park vs. multi-park", sorted by per-day equivalent, LOW to HIGH]

Single-Park:

$55.00 (5-day)
$59.67 (So. Cal. Resident, 3-day)
$65.00 (4-day)
$73.88 (3-day)
$74.50 (So. Cal. Resident, 2-day)
$92.50 (2-day)

Park-Hopper:

$63.00 (5-day)
$73.00 (So. Cal. Resident, 3-day)
$75.00 (4-day)
$91.67 (3-day)
$94.50 (So. Cal. Resident, 2-day)
$112.50 (2-day)

If you take that data, and if you ignore the "single/multi" aspect, then you get the following list, on an ABSOLUTE scale.
(Assuming a limit of no more than 5 visits).

1. Single-Park, 5-day ($55.00)
2. So. Cal. Resident, 3-day ($59.67)
3. Park-Hopper, 5-day ($63.00)
4. Single-Park, 4-day ($65.00)

The rest of the tickets work out to be $70+ per day.

Conclusion:
• The new ticket ("So. Cal. Resident" -- SINGLE PARK) is a very good deal. -- Only the "5-day single-park" beats it.
• If you want to drop your per-day equivalent fee to "under $70", then you have four good choices.

For comparison sake:
re: ANNUAL PASSPORTS:

The lowest-level Annual Passport ("So. Calif. Select"), when amortized over 5 visits, works out to be:
$63.80
(based on full box office price of $329.00).
And this value ($63.80) is virtually the same as the "5-day Park-Hopper" value ($63.00), which is the best Park-Hopper you can get.

bumblebeeonarose
01-15-2016, 11:26 AM
I did a spreadsheet.

Thank you for making that so clear. We did 4 days 1-park per day one year. It looks like it's still a pretty good deal as far as cost per day.

kiowa
01-17-2016, 10:26 AM
Hey there, does anyone know if you can use the resident offer pass and upgrade to a annual pass? I'm guessing it would cut down on the monthly payment if you did it that way. Just curious if you are allowed to do this.

Thanks in advance.

currence
01-17-2016, 12:08 PM
Hey there, does anyone know if you can use the resident offer pass and upgrade to a annual pass? I'm guessing it would cut down on the monthly payment if you did it that way. Just curious if you are allowed to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Assuming prior rules apply, you can with three caveats: 1) you must upgrade to a pass that costs more than the current ticket (no problem there) and 2) the AP is back-dated to the first day of use. So if you bought your ticket now and used the first day today but didn't upgrade until you used your last day in May, the AP would still expire one year from today, 3) the ticket must still be valid, so if you used your last day today and tried to upgrade tomorrow it won't work.

potzbie
01-17-2016, 02:19 PM
Just to verify . . .

Q. What non-Annual Passport ticket has the longest (most generous) time line before expiring?

I think, the tickets I know of expire in 14 days after first use (or end of the year, if not used beforehand), except for the new So Cal Resident ticket, which expires in 4.5 months (i.e., from JAN 6 to MAY 26).

Right?