PDA

View Full Version : Captain EO

Pages : [1] 2

merlinjones
11-26-2003, 06:43 AM
I guess we can safely assume this film won't come back for the 50th...

millionairegirl
11-26-2003, 07:21 AM
Did anyone really want it to come back? Gah.

EandCDad
11-26-2003, 07:30 AM
I never thought it was a very interesting attraction. The movie is dull and the songs are typical mid-80's Jackson tunes, which today sound VERY dated.

I'm one of the few people that enjoys Honey, I Shrunk the Audience (although I agree it's pretty old at this point). If they are gonna change the attraction, bring in something new.

danyoung
11-26-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by millionairegirl
Did anyone really want it to come back? Gah.

Are you kidding me? I'd LOVE to see it again in the big Magic Eye Theater, with the incredible full range audio, the in-theater effects, and of course the ground breaking 3D projection. I have a vhs tape of EO from when it was shown on MTV years back, but it's just not the same. Still, I end up pulling it out once a year or so just to remember one of my favorite attractions.

Most of us intelligent folks can't support Michael's increasingly bizzare lifestyle these days. But that shouldn't take away from the high quality of his earlier body of work. He didn't get to be the King of Pop for nothing.

merlinjones
11-26-2003, 08:08 AM
Most of all, I would like to see this space returned to an open air amphitheatre. the Space Stage with its overlooking terraces was the perfect forecourt for Space Mountain. That area feels so boxed in now (lieterally).

UncleGDogWord
11-26-2003, 08:29 AM
Even if it was a great attraction; the actions (or for those who believe in inoccent before proven guilty alledged actions) of Michael Jackson will not allow a Family Theme park to reissue the attraction.

Besides, EO is so 80's.

iwannabeanimagineer
11-26-2003, 09:37 AM
Maybe if they changed the ending to have Captain EO captured and tortured by the villians?

Nephythys
11-26-2003, 11:49 AM
I watch my tape every now and then and remain convinced that the only good thing I came away with is my stuffed Fuzzball-:D

wendybeth
11-26-2003, 12:07 PM
Danyoung "He didn't get to be the king of pop for nothing"

You're right- all those PR people and lawyers must have cost a fortune...:p

merlinjones
11-26-2003, 12:35 PM
"We are here to change the world... Wooooooooooo!"

It's sort of the anthem for the whole Eisner era, eh? Give me back the Wonderful World of Color!

merlinjones
11-26-2003, 12:38 PM
What were those sidekick creatures in Captain Eo called?

Cadaverous Pallor
11-26-2003, 12:42 PM
Like my cassette copy of Thriller, I will always love Captain EO. It's a generational thing. I wish I could see it again.

That doesn't mean I like that pervert Jackson.

danyoung
11-26-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by wendybeth
You're right- all those PR people and lawyers must have cost a fortune...:p

While I am chuckling at your response (chuckle, chuckle), I have to say that I've been surprised at the level of worship MJ has garnered around the world. It ain't just a nutty American thing. It's been fun to watch the news media reluctantly reporting on this, and having to admit that even tho we all know him as Wacko Jacko, he's still pretty danged popular worldwide.

Nephythys
11-26-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones

Fuzzball, Hooter, Minor and Major Domo:D

oh, and then that two headed thing......don't recall their names-

danyoung
11-26-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones

I used to know all of them, but it's faded over the years. The 2 headed guy is Idie and Odie, also known as the Geex. The little flying guy is Fuzzball, and of course who could forget Hooter? The robot and his little buddy also have names, but I can't remember them.

merlinjones
11-26-2003, 01:17 PM
Thanks for jogging my brain... I can hear MJ saying "C'mon, Hootah".

wendybeth
11-26-2003, 04:28 PM
I am mystified as to how and why he ever got appointed 'the King of Pop'- at the risk of starting another Monty Python thread, all I can say is "King? How'd he get to be King? I didn't vote for him!":confused:

merlinjones
11-26-2003, 08:42 PM
That title (King of Pop) dates to about the time Thriller beat Elvis and The Beatles and Saturday Night Fever to be the highest selling pop album of all time (at that time anyway). So if you bought it back then you voted in a sense, but he made the proclaimation himself. I always figured he initially married Lisa-Marie to co-mingle Kingly blood strains.

wendybeth
11-26-2003, 08:46 PM
Any attempt at co-mingling HAD to be purely symbolic, right? That's just so where I do not want to go...lol. Right. Then I definitely did not vote for him, then or now.:)

merlinjones
11-27-2003, 06:15 AM
MJ tales:

The first and last new Michael Jackson record I bought was the single to "Ben" back in 1974 or whenever that was. I really loved that song!

Though I did pick up a used CD of Jackson 5 hits in the last decade. Their music was a key part of my childhood on radio, tv, etc.

As an artist, I like to remember MJ how he was way back then. Seems like a totally different person, and alternate Earth. The latter day MJ has creeped me out ever since "The Wiz" in 1979 (what's up with that voice??? Or Diana's haircut???). I still wish I had walked out of that movie and avoided the imprint.

My college room-mate played "Thriller" almost every day for three years. I fought back with "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", "Shock Treatment" and "Babes in Toyland" soundtracks...

We saw the "Thriller" video premiere in Los Angeles, as it was playing with a reissue of "Fantasia" in Westwood. The MJ fan audience was hardly receptive to The Waltz of the Flowers, I can tell you, as they audibly waited two hours to see Thriller again. Not my best "Fantasia" experience.

And I was at that 30 hour party or whatever they did that launched Captain Eo (ick!) and Star Tours (yay!). What a great time that trip was, though I was mourning the loss of Adventure thru Inner Space and Mary Blair... little did I know how much worse Tomorrowland would get under that other Michael!

Once I saw MJ in full make-up, wearing his surgical mask, while some assistant picked out antique stereoscope cards for him at a camera show.

Kuzcotopia
11-27-2003, 09:27 AM
Excuse me, Merlin Jones.

Did you just make a Disney animation error?

Did you just call Amilcare Ponchielli's "Dance of the Hours" the "Waltz of the Flowers"?

Wow.

If Eisner had made the same flub, you'd probably say it was indicative of Eisner's extreme ignorance and shameful hostility toward Walt Disney's animation legacy.

:p :D :)

wendybeth
11-27-2003, 10:42 AM
Yesterday, my eight year old daughter and I were waiting in line at the grocery store. She glanced at the cover of one of those gossip rags which had a particularily hideous picture of Micheal on it, and in a loud voice she asked "Is that a girl or a boy?". Everyone around started snickering, but she really didn't know, so I said "well, honey, it's a boy- he's had a few surgeries over the years...." She thought about it for a second and then said "He probably wants to be a girl because girls are cool". The little old lady in front of us turned around and gave her a big smile and a pat on the head.:cool:

Doodle Duck
11-27-2003, 11:16 AM
This could be interesting...

The theater has been altered with the new 'shaker' tech...

just think...

If Capt. EO were to play there...

as MJ first speaks in his thunderous booming voice the whole theater could shake and quake!

What an effect!

Or would the MICE effect at the ankles better fit the actual 'squeak'?

9oldmen
11-27-2003, 09:14 PM
"Excuse me, Merlin Jones.

Did you just make a Disney animation error?

Did you just call Amilcare Ponchielli's "Dance of the Hours" the "Waltz of the Flowers"?"

What error? Tschaikovsky's "Waltz of the Flowers", from the Nutcracker Suite is featured in the original "Fantasia", isn't it?

merlinjones
11-28-2003, 01:53 AM
>>Did you just call Amilcare Ponchielli's "Dance of the Hours" the "Waltz of the Flowers"?<<

No. Waltz of the Flowers is one of the movements in Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite. Duh.

>>Wow. If Eisner had made the same flub, you'd probably say it was indicative of Eisner's extreme ignorance and shameful hostility toward Walt Disney's animation legacy.<<

He already is all that, sorry.

Before you get catty, know the material.:rolleyes: