PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland environmentally friendly?

JoeCanadian
11-25-2003, 08:14 PM
Disney's website reads:

At The Walt Disney Company, we believe that respect for the environment is an important part of how we do business. Disney's Environmentality is the attitude and commitment to do what is right for the environment.

I'm just curious if this is by and large true. I'm not intimately familiar with their practices, but I imagine the one crack in their statement is the sheer amount of garbage the theme parks generate. Of course, I could be wrong about that since they *could* have some sort of recycling program in place. But I haven't seen any during my visits.

Does anyone happen to have any solid facts on this topic?

JoeCanadian
11-25-2003, 08:31 PM
I'm going to answer my own question since I've found a report covering my question :P

So if an admin reads this, feel free to delete the topic.

http://adisney.go.com/disneyhand/environmentality/environment/enviroport_2002_web.pdf

Morrigoon
11-25-2003, 10:18 PM
For starters, they use recycled paper products - paper towels, for instance.

They also recycle food waste, yes food waste. It goes to "feed the piggies" as we like to say.

Cardboard, of course, is recycled, as they go through a huge amount of it.

Every drain grate has a spraypainted Flounder with a reminder that it drains to the ocean, to prevent CMs from accidentally pouring harmful substances into the water.

Demigod121
11-26-2003, 08:42 AM
They also recycle most if not all of the glass and plastic that is discarded by employees AND guests. That in and of itself is helping the environment.

-Demigod

stan4d_steph
11-26-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Demigod121
They also recycle most if not all of the glass and plastic that is discarded by employees AND guests. That in and of itself is helping the environment.

-Demigod

Do they have people separate the recyclables from the trash before disposal? I know there are some recycling containers around, but not very many, so I would imagine that the majority of plastic soft drink containers go in with the regular garbage.

Demigod121
11-26-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by stan4d_steph
Do they have people separate the recyclables from the trash before disposal? I know there are some recycling containers around, but not very many, so I would imagine that the majority of plastic soft drink containers go in with the regular garbage.

Yes, they do. My wife works in Custodial, and sometime it's her job to do this. Yuck!

-Demigod

Doodle Duck
11-26-2003, 01:40 PM
"...the one crack in their statement is the sheer amount of garbage the theme parks generate."

MODERN Humans do that no matter where they are or what they do. The answer is to go back to the Stone Age when it all just absorbed into the land. Yeah...that'll work.

experiment626
11-28-2003, 02:00 PM
I would deffiently like to see more recyle bins in the park. I really hate to throw my bottle in the trash. I am glad to hear that they do infact sort the recylables out of the trash.

Wizard69
11-28-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by experiment626
I would deffiently like to see more recyle bins in the park. I really hate to throw my bottle in the trash. I am glad to hear that they do infact sort the recylables out of the trash.

There are trash cans for bottles and cans only.

experiment626
11-28-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Wizard69
There are trash cans for bottles and cans only.
Yes but I would like to see one placed at each location where a garbage can is. They seem to be few and far between.

DCAWhites
08-13-2004, 01:31 AM
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but actually not all the trash cans at the resort are sorted through. At DCA, none of them are (at least for now...they've been doing studies galore on what percent of the general trash is recyclable and if it worth the effort vs current efforts of cast members to recover about 50% of the bottles from the cans on their own will while dumping them). and I don't believe any of the sorting is done on the esplanade or parking structure (and definately not dtd).