PDA

View Full Version : A few restaurant reviews from my recent trip

CarlieB
11-25-2003, 02:39 PM
I will be posting reviews in the reviews section, but I thought I’d also post a few of my restaurant ramblings here, in case anyone is interested...

As always, we spent a fair bit of time eating while at DL. Here are some of my thoughts on the places we frequented:

Uva Bar: We ate here twice this trip and really enjoyed it. We went for dinner the night we arrived, and sat outdoors. The only hitch was when I got asked for ID (in NZ the legal drinking age is 18, so I’d kind of got used to that. Plus, I’m 26, so I was kind of surprised). I ended up making a trip back to the hotel to get my passport, so I could have an Apple Martini, which was delicious. After a week of Italian food I was craving a cheeseburger, which I ordered and thoroughly enjoyed. We ended up at the Uva Bar again for breakfast the next morning, and I had the pancakes, which were great (the coffee wasn’t amazing though)

Golden Horseshoe: We now have a tradition of having lunch here and seeing Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. This time I tried the Chilli Fries, which were quite nice (and better than I was expecting!) I just love the Golden Horseshoe ambience – you can’t beat it!

Rancho del Zocalo: Phil & I ate lunch here on our last day. He had the Ribs combo plate (which he said was good) and I had the Taco Salad. It was yummy, but could have been spicier, imho. We found the counter service here to be very friendly and prompt, unlike our visit here last year.

Blue Bayou: Finally, we made it to the BB. It was actually better than I thought it would be. The ambience is great, and the food (lunch) was yummy. Phil had the Pork Loin and I had the Monte Cristo, out of curiosity. It was incredible, but so filling! (I had a side salad instead of the pasta salad – I love the candied pecans!) Phil also had the Stuffed Mushrooms to start and said they were fantastic. Definitely a fun place to eat, but I’m not sure I would pay the dinner prices.

Rainforest Cafe: A mixed review. We went for breakfast one morning and enjoyed it. I had their version of French Toast, which was yummy and incredibly generous. I also loved the huge cups of coffee! We decided to try it for dinner later on, and had mixed success. Firstly, it was incredibly busy. We couldn’t get a table until 10:30pm (which worked out because we wanted to see Fantasmic and Believe and then we had a couple of drinks at the bar). The cocktails at he bar were fun (I love the barstools) and then we moved upstairs. Our appetisers were nice (we ordered a mixed platter), but the mains were a little disappointing: huge amounts of food, but not a lot of taste. My Chinese Chicken Salad was okay, but I’ve definitely had better. In the end we skipped dessert and headed home.

Compass Cafe: I had a great Caramel Macchiato here – the best coffee I had while at DL. At the other end of the scale was the Eggnog Latte from the Blue Ribbon Bakery – it was so burnt-tasting I threw it out.

All in all we had some very good meals while at DL – and there are still some places I need to try out next time!
:D

cstephens
11-25-2003, 03:43 PM
Thanks for posting those - they were fun to read.

cirquelover
11-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the info, Where is the Compass Cafe? My husband would love to be able to get a good coffee next time we're down there!

Freerider127
11-25-2003, 04:20 PM
Thanks for posting your reviews. I personally liked the rainforest cafe, I like that they have some nice theming in there restaurant it makes it somewhat unique from other places. Ive only had dinner there though.

cstephens
11-25-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by cirquelover
Thanks for the info, Where is the Compass Cafe? My husband would love to be able to get a good coffee next time we're down there!

The Compass Cafe is over by the AMC Theatres, across from the ESPN Zone.

CarlieB
11-25-2003, 05:20 PM
Thanks for posting your reviews. I personally liked the rainforest cafe, I like that they have some nice theming in there restaurant it makes it somewhat unique from other places. Ive only had dinner there though.

I really liked the theming at the RFC - I thought it was very well done. I think I would go back and give it another try - perhaps we just had an off night. I really enjoyed my breakfast there, so would definitely do that again. The store was funt to check out too - I got a great pair of yoga pants on sale:D

Cirquelover: I can totally recommend the Compass Cafe. The Compass Bookstore which houses it is really cool to browse in, and they also have a good magazine stand outside. The only problem is that if you're not staying at one of the DLH it can be a bit of a trek - it's right at the end of DTD (but hey, exercise is good, right?!) I also happened to notice that they have boxes of Krispy Kremes - didn't buy any, but I saw them there...

cirquelover
11-26-2003, 01:28 PM
Oooh Krispy Kremes and a good coffee, you have just made a big difference in our next trip to Disneyland! Now maybe he will be in a good mood:D