PDA

View Full Version : collectors and cast members

Gandalf
09-21-2001, 04:11 PM
I decided to start a new post rather than continue with the one that uses the term "scum" especially in light of the lives lost due to hatred from terrorists.

Well, judging by the decrease in Disney's stock price and the decrease in travel to Amusement Parks cast members won't have to see the traders and collectors too much longer. I'm fairly certain that after the Holiday season that many cast members will either have drastically shortened hours or working somewhere else. In a post a few weeks ago someone placed annual passholders in the same category with molesters and other heinous humans. Because of certain posts on Mousepad, how many now look at cast members and wonder (as they smile at you) is this a cast member who hates being here? Is this a cast member who hates the guests and wishes all passholders would never visit again? It also was posted that about 50% to 60% of the DLR guests are passholders. I did some quick math and if they no longer have an interest in going to the Parks, Disney will not only have to close during the week but during the offseason. Many read Mouseplanet because of being mentioned in the media more now. More people are now reading Mousepad (even if they are not posting) and are drawing conclusions about whether they should visit the Disney Parks. IF, they come to the conclusion that there are dangers to their families (children knocked down by traders, crying because of offensive guests) then many will only be visiting via the Yesterland Site.

thamnarestan
09-21-2001, 07:19 PM
I disagree with your assessment. I don't think that Mousepad, let alone Mouseplanet, has any significant effect on the park's attendance. Though Mouseplanet readership has grown recently, its audience is still limited largely to annual passholders or other Disney fans, not the general public. Mousepad readership is limited mostly to those who regularly read the Mouseplanet sections. I don't really see anything posted on this forum affecting Disneyland attendance on a large scale.

As for the use of "scum", what does that have to do with the attacks, besides the fact that those who commited the acts are terrorist towelhead scum? I agree that we shouldn't put the "scummy" pin traders in the same group as the terrorists, but that doesn't mean that the term no longer applies to the traders.

Haldwitten
09-21-2001, 09:41 PM
Being an Attractions CM, I can say I like the AP's. Many, many times I have wonderful conversations with them about the park and upcoming events. I've never had to deal with pin-traders becasue I don't wear a lanyard, but I have heard horror stories. Yes, there are some incredibly rude people, but they are everywhere in the world - even Disneyland.

Sometimes, I think the Disneyland policies on dealing with guests keeps many CM's from saying anything to these rude guests for fear of being complained about. I try to find a "positive" way to tell people to "chill out," but even then I get some attitude back. I've just resigned myself to the fact that some people take things far too seriously...

But God help anyone I see who ever pushes a guest, especially a child to get a pin or to get to a ride. And if anyone EVER makes a child cry... well... I've got security on speed dial. No one makes a child cry in Disneyland - that's just not right.

Gandalf
09-21-2001, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by thamnarestan
I disagree with your assessment. I don't think that Mousepad, let alone Mouseplanet, has any significant effect on the park's attendance. Though Mouseplanet readership has grown recently, its audience is still limited largely to annual passholders or other Disney fans, not the general public. Mousepad readership is limited mostly to those who regularly read the Mouseplanet sections. I don't really see anything posted on this forum affecting Disneyland attendance on a large scale.
As for the use of "scum", what does that have to do with the attacks, besides the fact that those who commited the acts are terrorist towelhead scum? I agree that we shouldn't put the "scummy" pin traders in the same group as the terrorists, but that doesn't mean that the term no longer applies to the traders.
I realize that Mouseplanet does not have the readership that Intercot has but many times at the Parks there are discussions about "Disney's" Mouseplanet and the group on it. It does have an impact. I think it will become a definite problem when more and more people equate what is said on Mousepad boards with the Disney name. There seems to be more negative postings lately and less and less positive ones.
I also become very worried when the derogatory term of "towelhead scum" is used by anyone, Disney cast member or not. It is demeaning and prejudicial and I hope that others don't harbor such thoughts.
No wonder we will soon be at war.

thamnarestan
09-21-2001, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Gandalf

I also become very worried when the derogatory term of "towelhead scum" is used by anyone, Disney cast member or not. It is demeaning and prejudicial and I hope that others don't harbor such thoughts.

Do you actually have a problem with me using a derogatory term for the Osama Bin Laden? Mass murderers who hate America don't deserve political correctness.

Nigel2
09-22-2001, 01:35 AM
I think that some people are reading a little too deeply into the pintrader scum reference. What happened on tuesday really had no effect on my views of pintraders, and when someone finnaly brought up the thread I realized I wasn't the onlyone that felt that way.

Like my new non copyrighted Avitar?

Gandalf
09-22-2001, 10:59 PM
As I had mentioned before there are more people reading Mouseplanet because of being mentioned in the media. When people stay in O.C. hotels they often read the Register. What is discussed on the boards does have an impact.
Friday, Sept. 21st the Orange County Register refers to Al Lutz, a spokesman for Mouseplanet.com, an unofficial Disney Web site.
The article covers the possible re-naming of the Tower of Terror to be built in DCA. It also talks about removing references to winning a trip to New York in DCA's "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" attraction.