PDA

View Full Version : Pumbaa Parking Lot - They asked me to Walk!

Forbin
11-24-2003, 03:40 PM
About a month ago I was herded into the Pumbaa parking lot. The overflow lot that they only open when the others are real full.

Now I normally LOVE this as it is a short walk to the bus and the buses let off real close to DL.

That day there were no buses and it was really hot. They said you are welcome to walk the rest of the way. Now I may imagine this but isn't it at least 4 blocks 2 down and 2 up to the security gate and another block or so to the entrance in the hot sun was not a exciting thought for me. I saw people pulling out the strollers and I just thought about how they will feel to walk all the way back to pumbaa in the middle of the night.

So I did what any smart AP'er would do. I got in the car and drove to the Structure...which wasn't as full as I would expect it to be.

Anyone know when did they apply this policy?

Andrew
11-24-2003, 03:50 PM
The Pumbaa lot has always, to my knowledge, been a walk-only affair. I've parked there twice, though not recently, and that's the way it was. The generally accepted explanation at the time was that as Freedman (now Disney Way) is a public street, Disney could not run parking trams on it.

MouseWife
11-24-2003, 04:29 PM
When we went last month, we were also 'herded' there.

I had just quit wearing my 'hard shoe' for my broken toe and was planning on only doing the walking inside of the park but having the leisure of riding the shuttle. Ah, no. When I asked at the ticket booth they said no shuttle, I told him why and he just said sorry and took my money.

I really felt quite silly complaining as what the heck was I thinking? That I could get around without walking the whole day? LOL But I really didn't think I would be walking that much right off of the bat.

Anywho, I didn't like it. I didn't like the idea of going back there at night, either. I was fortunate to get a ride back there but it wasn't well marked where to go in or out. Like, Fill up the lot and then leave. {Disney workers} I didn't like that.

How do you get around getting herded into these parking lots?

Forbin
11-24-2003, 05:10 PM
Wow You haven't gotten outside much Andrew! :)

Just kidding of course .. hehe... I have been using the Pumbaa buses for almost a year. I guess our friends in Facilities 'T' decided that they didn't want to pay for buses today. But they did have such a nice sign telling me you can walk to the park.
They don't use Trams in Pumbaa, they use nice air conditioned tour buses.

Mousewife - Simple! Just take your ticket and LEAVE the pumbaa lot. Take it to the Lion king lot and show your paid ticket (Not a free one, that only works in Structure) and poof you are in the main disney lot without any hassle (Unless it is full then you are herded to the premium parking.

MouseWife
11-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Forbin
Mousewife - Simple! Just take your ticket and LEAVE the pumbaa lot. Take it to the Lion king lot and show your paid ticket (Not a free one, that only works in Structure) and poof you are in the main disney lot without any hassle (Unless it is full then you are herded to the premium parking.

Okay, duh! That makes absolute perfect sense!

I will remember that for next time.......:geek:

Cadaverous Pallor
11-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Wait, so you originally aimed for the Timon lot? Why?

Ever since we started parking in the structure we have never gone back to Timon. And if this is what you might get for parking there, all the more reason to head for the structure.

I've seen people walking from Pumbaa. Not a pretty sight.

Has anyone else gotten the air conditioned bus treatment from Pumbaa?

Darkbeer
11-25-2003, 03:16 AM
Heck, if Disney doesn't provide shuttle service to their hotel guests, why should they offer shuttle service from Pumbaa??

Anthony
11-25-2003, 06:29 AM
So, help me to understand this one. The issue is that someone had to WALK while at DLR? This is an outrage!!! We need to protest this cruel guest treatment! It is time to rise up and fight the man, uhh, I mean mouse...

Come on, are we really griping because we have to walk at DLR? Look on the bright side, you are warmed up for the day as soon as you park. Maybe we should be grateful that we can walk, that we have two legs, that we are healthy enough that walking is an option. And I cannot imagine that it was that hot one month ago... Puh-lease, I live in the desert and we know hot, and 80 degree weather isn't it. Don't get me wrong, I can totally appreciate that when you get there you want to boogie over there and start your adventure but let's be real.

I guess it just seems silly for various posts to complain relentlessly about DLR and how terrible it is, and then go there and spend money. Maybe it is an issue of 'You only hurt the ones you love'

Anyway, keep me posted on how the protest signs are coming, and we will organize a protest.

CraigMBA
11-25-2003, 06:41 AM
My parking tip:

Get an oversized vehicle and a premium AP. You get to park in the same parking lot as the tour busses (because you're too tall).

I usually have a 150-200 FOOT walk to get on the trams at the Mickey and Freinds parking structure.

Less time on your feet in the parking lot = more time on your feet in the park. This is precisely why my wife and I will never again stay on the strip in Vegas. Downtown or bust baby!

Forbin
11-25-2003, 09:30 AM
Let me address a few things

1) CraigMBA - Yes you can do that but nothing beats taking the Pumbaa bus. No waiting, no crowds, and a drop off extremely close to DL. Even better than parking in the oversize lot. You have to battle the tram crowds at the end of the day. No crowds in the Pumbaa lot.

2) Anthony - Umm...you pay $8 to park and WALK? Versus paying $8 to park and ride the tram? Yah sure I see the real justice in this. Nice sarcasm there dude. Next time you have to PAY to WALK to disneyland (And I don't mean the hotels - You pay for your room and you get a nice special entrance to CA)

3) Darkbeer - They do offer shuttle service now, just exit your hotel (If it isn't a disney one) and there is a bus stop that takes you to DLR. Notice the red Trolleys named Anaheim resort? Guess who paid for those...hint he has big ears.

4) Cadaverous - No I wasn't aiming for the Timon lot. The Diamond Lane Exit leads out there.

Darkbeer
11-25-2003, 11:20 AM
3) Darkbeer - They do offer shuttle service now, just exit your hotel (If it isn't a disney one) and there is a bus stop that takes you to DLR. Notice the red Trolleys named Anaheim resort? Guess who paid for those...hint he has big ears.

They(Disney) do NOT offer shuttle service to their own hotels, ask anyone who has stayed at the Paradise Pier Hotel....:eek:

And the ART system is run by the city of Anaheim, and the Walt Disney Company had NOTHING to do with it. The city did talk to Disney, seeing if they wanted to be part of it, and Disney refused. One of the main reasons that the City got involved in the bus system had to do with Air pollution, and traffic control. The city bought the busses (All Clean Air version, mainly LNG, some electrical), and then pays Coach USA to run the system. This is similar to many other public transpiration systems (City owns the system, pays a company like ATC/Vancom, Coach USA...)

http://www.atnetwork.org/anaheim_resort.html

But this topic really goes to cutting services...

For example, back when DCA was a parking lot, you had three options to go to the Disneyland Hotel, Walk, take the Monorail, or take a special tram that ran from the Main Gate to the hotel's lobby. Heck, when DCA was a parking lot, the parking lot trams had multiple stops (10 to 20), and you didn't have to walk that far...

Then they started to build DCA, but they still offered Hotel Tram service with the Lion King Tram, that took you to the back of the Paradise Pier Hotel, and close to the Disneyland Hotel. The DCA and DtD opened, and the tram still ran for a bit, but suddenly the tram service going to the Hotels was stopped, and not replaced. I have measured the walk, and it is over a 1/2 mile walk from the PPH lobby to the Main Entry Plaza.

Now, many folks don't mind the walk (Heck, I spent the weekend at the Howard Johnson's, which is about the same distance as the PPH (a bit shorter, but not much). And I didn't take the ART once. But not everyone is as healthy, some need "some" special assistance, many nothing major... Also, how about families, little ones walk a lot slower, and tire out quicker... That little kid maybe has 4 miles in him, so you use up 1/4 of his "gas tank" jut going to and from the hotel. And at the HoJo's at least I have the option of walking or taking the ART!

I have seen the Pummba bus during ToT construction (They have to use a bus instead of a tram, since it travels on city streets (just like the Cast Shuttles). They placed a sign in the tram area. But I did notice the lack of shuttle service this weekend (Though they do place one CM at the end of the path on Harbor to point guests in the right direction), in fact took some photos of the fact.

But what it comes down to is Disney cutting services to the Guests. Disney was known for outstanding guest services. Heck, you pay a premium price to stay at the Disney owned hotels, shouldn't you expect a service that you can get if you stay at the Super 8 or the Red Roof Inn????

And the parking is $8 in any lot. I know in many places like airports, if you park in the outer lots, you pay less. Why should the people in Pummba be treated differently... maybe because the Pummba shuttle service costs more to run (and takes longer to load) due to the fact that the busses have to run on city streets.....

Forbin
11-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Hehe Correct, the red trollies do NOT pick up at the Disney brand hotels at all. DCA doesn't need it, Paradise pier could use it, and Disney Hotel DEFINTELY needs it. That's why I said (if it is not a disney one)

I did read somewhere that as part of the 'clean up Anaheim' Disney helped pay for those new trollies that Coach USA uses. The city made them agree to a lot of the changes with some 'perks'. The trollies are one of them. They don't operate or own them, but they have a vested interest on which ones got bought.

But I agree with your post, why should someone pay $8 and then WALK to DLR when the normal parking lots charge $8 and you get a nice ride to DLR. I just felt sad at those parents with tons of little kids at the end of the day who have to WALK the 4 blocks back to Pumbaa at night.

So to those of you who get 'herded' into Pumbaa,

If you don't see a bus, take your ticket and go down to Main Timon and park there for no additional charge!

Cadaverous Pallor
11-25-2003, 04:53 PM
4) Cadaverous - No I wasn't aiming for the Timon lot. The Diamond Lane Exit leads out there. I go to the structure from the diamond lane exit all the time.

Cross Anaheim Blvd
Turn right on Clementine (the first light)
Follow it as it curves around, ending at Harbor
Turn right on Harbor
Left on Ball
Left into the structure

It's even simpler than it looks.

Edited to add - this is the northbound 5 fwy diamond lane Disney Way exit.

Forbin
11-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Hehe actually if I really aim for the Structure, I get just off the next diamond exit and get directly off Ball Rd. I do check the Pumbaa lot because of how convenient it is. Until they redo the buses I probably will avoid it for a while.

FYI : Pumbaa lot is on Anaheim and Clementine. You go right by it on your directions. That's how I found it in the first place.

CraigMBA
11-25-2003, 07:19 PM
I figured out:

$225 (cost of AP) x 2 (Myself and Mrs. Craig) / $8 (cost to park) is 57 trips (I rounded up one).

So far, we've used our pass at least 30 times in the past 9 months.

When I park inside the structure, as SOON as I get outta the gate I hold up my OVERSIZE yellow slip and drive to the left. I drive straight to the tram and park to the south of the opening of the fence and find a spot in the little dogleg parking lot between the tram and the driveway that goes to the DTD parking.

I never fight the crowds at park close. I just don't leave, I like the park when it's closed. It's QUIET.:D

Forbin
11-25-2003, 08:40 PM
So that was you who parked in my favorite spot! Hehe