PDA

View Full Version : Metal detectors; New security rules at Disneyland effective 12/17/15

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

AVP
12-17-2015, 05:09 AM
Developing:

The rumors popped up yesterday, and now photo reports confirm that Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts have added metal detectors to the bag check screening checkpoints outside the theme parks.

These metal detectors are located beyond the bag check tents at all theme park entrances. Visitors will be randomly selected for secondary screening after they pass through bag check. There is no option to "opt out" of this screening, but guests who object will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Disney would not discuss how guests would be "randomly" selected for this secondary screening.

This comes on the same day that Universal Studios and Sea World Orlando increased their own guest screening procedures. While it seems incredible that these decisions weren't coordinated and just happened at the same time, a source at Disney says they were surprised to learn the other theme parks had made changes too.

Disney has also made changes in policies regarding costumes and toy weapons. Effective immediately, all toy weapons are banned from Walt Disney World property, and will no longer be sold in stores. This applies to realistic and fantasy guns, including Star Wars Blasters, Buzz Lightyear Blasters, and even bubble guns.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/park-rules/

The ban does not impact light sabers or toy swords, which will still be sold in the parks. We've heard two accounts of people being denied entrance to Disney's Hollywood Studios today with a lightsaber, but this is not policy.

Disney has restated the policy prohibiting guests older than 14-years-old from wearing costumes. While this is the normal policy, enforcement is somewhat random, and had been relaxed during the Season of the Force promotion to allow adults to wear Star Wars costumes.

A Disney spokesperson said there were no known exceptions to this policy, which raises questions about the Halloween parties. Disney currently allows adults to wear costumes during these events.

Disney says there are no plans to make any changes to remove depictions of weapons from attractions, like pistols in Pirates of the Caribbean; to remove the Blasters from the Buzz Lightyear attraction; or to close the shooting galleries.

Disneyland spokesperson Suzi Brown stated, "We continually review our comprehensive approach to security and are implementing additional security measures, as appropriate," echoing a statement released by Walt Disney World resort this morning.

MousePlanet will continue to update as this item as we learn more.

chahn
12-17-2015, 06:02 AM
Does that mean they are removing the light saber building area or is "weapon" limited to things that are gun like?

olegc
12-17-2015, 06:23 AM
Knx radio reported that USH is also installing them. So if multiple theme parks are installing them was a credible long term threat found?

olegc
12-17-2015, 06:35 AM
Knx radio reported that USH is also installing them. So if multiple theme parks are installing them was a credible long term threat found?
Additionally an updated report tied the attempt by a man to bring a gun into WDW last week and then DHS issued a bulletin stating that the public should expect more law enforcement and security measures in and around large public events and popular public places (not a quote - my summary). So it seems that DHS has been strongly encouraging the changes.

cmangano
12-17-2015, 06:50 AM
Finally. I think this is long overdue.

olegc
12-17-2015, 07:08 AM
The reporting also focuses on people 14 or over not being allowed to wear costumes. I thought that was always there except for special events where noted.

chahn
12-17-2015, 07:55 AM
Now I need to find out what constitutes a costume and how that will affect RunDisney participants. Our next park visit is for Star Wars race weekend to do the 5k.

olegc
12-17-2015, 08:01 AM
Someone on twitter pointed out that the costume allowance on the Season of the Force page was removed.

This is what is nagging me - all parks spokespeople are claiming there was no specific incident. They are just making adjustments to security for guests. OK but if ALL the parks are doing it the same weekend there must be some coordinated effort with DHS or something. At least acknowledge that. It does not effect the direct park ops for an individual guest but it would be more genuine to acknowledge an industry push.

candles71
12-17-2015, 08:01 AM
The reporting also focuses on people 14 or over not being allowed to wear costumes. I thought that was always there except for special events where noted.
Actually, they raised the official age. It used to be 9, I believe that was because it was where the tickets broke from child to adult. In practice, it seemed to be around where they didn't look like children and started to look more grown up.

I was thinking this has always been the rule, but your comment sparked the age change.

My question, does that change the Star Wars exception currently in place?

Toocherie
12-17-2015, 08:17 AM
I'm don't think there has to be a "credible threat" for them to make these changes. Personally--I am surprised metal detectors haven't been installed before now. Given recent events (Paris, San Bernardino) I think any business owner that welcomes a great number of people has to be concerned and aware. I won't be surprised to see metal detectors pop up other places (like movie theatres).

stan4d_steph
12-17-2015, 08:20 AM
OP updated to reflect that Disneyland has installed metal detectors. MousePlanet also received a statement from DL.

candles71
12-17-2015, 08:22 AM
Regal Theaters started doing bag checks a few months ago.
6 Flags parks have had metal detectors for several years (at least 10), I am surprised it took this long for Disney and Universal to follow suit. Especially after the incident at USH, last spring.

bennette
12-17-2015, 08:32 AM
Correlation does not imply causation.

corona
12-17-2015, 08:37 AM
Correlation does not imply causation.

true

It's also true that - spin this as any spinner can - this is another victory for Daesh.

Tinker44
12-17-2015, 09:27 AM
Finally. I think this is long overdue.

100% agree.

Sad that it's come to this... but at the same time, I will feel better knowing that they are at least TRYING to keep the guest safer.

stan4d_steph
12-17-2015, 10:12 AM
Political discussion does not belong here. Take your comment on national security and gun control to the Lounge.

olegc
12-17-2015, 10:25 AM
someone asked a question in the WDW version about setting off and emptying pockets. As of today - from pictures posted on twitter - it appears that the metal detectors are wands handled by security in a separate area - you get selected and pulled ot the side where you are wanded. its not clear if you have to empty pockets, etc. but my guess would be it would be like any other wanded search at any sporting event - take out your phone, keys, etc. IMHO they will move to larger scale scanning (whether its wands or walk-throughs) over time.

Seashellmama
12-17-2015, 11:12 AM
The pictures I see on twitter from Disneyland include walk-through metal detectors.
https://twitter.com/onthegoinmco/status/677536521281363968

olegc
12-17-2015, 11:19 AM
The pictures I see on twitter from Disneyland include walk-through metal detectors.
https://twitter.com/onthegoinmco/status/677536521281363968

ahh - thanks. multiple sources on social media are always good.

olegc
12-17-2015, 11:21 AM
i guess I'm glad I got my replica cap guns and rife at the resort a few years ago. I have very old one (real wood look) and a modern rifle (orange look). too bad - but its the new reality.

shna
12-17-2015, 11:23 AM
I keep interpreting DSH as "Disney Hollywood Studios" instead of "Department of Homeland Security." I need caffeine.

Even with the walk-through metal detectors, am I correct in thinking only *some* people have to go through them? I may have to stop carrying scissors for MouseAdventure in my pockets. ;)

olegc
12-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Reportedly the metal detector screenings are random for now.

Hey yeah - what about Mouse adventure!?

On another note - what about New Years or 24hr party dates? Now u may REALLY not want to leave the park u r in.

cstephens
12-17-2015, 03:51 PM
I keep interpreting DSH as "Disney Hollywood Studios" instead of "Department of Homeland Security." I need caffeine.

*raises hand* OK, I kept wondering why Disney's Hollywood Studios was coordinating things all by themselves. Made no sense to me. Had no idea it was supposed to mean Homeland Security. This is why I'm generally not a fan of acronyms, unless it's 100% clear.

This is what is nagging me - all parks spokespeople are claiming there was no specific incident. They are just making adjustments to security for guests. OK but if ALL the parks are doing it the same weekend there must be some coordinated effort with DHS or something. At least acknowledge that. It does not effect the direct park ops for an individual guest but it would be more genuine to acknowledge an industry push.

It's possible there is no coordinated effort. Things do happen at the same time simply by coincidence, random chance, dumb luck.

But, even if there was a coordinated effort, maybe there's a reason why they're not saying it. People and companies don't say things for all kinds of reasons. As you said, it doesn't really affect anything.

corona
12-17-2015, 05:03 PM
?
This won't affect park hopping at all.
It may hurt Downtown Disney, as some may decide it's not worth the hassle to leave the parks and have to be screened again on returning.

olegc
12-17-2015, 05:10 PM
?
This won't affect park hopping at all.
It may hurt Downtown Disney, as some may decide it's not worth the hassle to leave the parks and have to be screened again on returning.
That was what I was leaning toward. Did not articulate it.