PDA

View Full Version : A couple of "Pirates" questions...

MotorBoat Cruiser
11-24-2003, 11:13 AM
On a recent trip to Disneyland, a couple of questions occurred as we were riding Pirates.

Three is a section before the last scene (and right before you go up the ramp. There are various beams and a chair that are hanging over your head. We could both recall seeing this stuff swinging or at least moving somewhat but now it appeas to be stationary. Does anyone else remember this? Why would it have changed?

We also remembered that when the guns fired, there used to be a red glow at the tip. It almost looked the end of an automobile cigarette lighter. Does anyone know when that stopped and why?

Finally, unrelated to Pirates, does anyone have a clue how they decided that all parking lot speeds should be 14 MPH? This one makes no sense to me. Is there a significance to 14?

As an aside, Sunday was not a great day to visit. What a crowd!!! I hope that this isn't the way it will be until after the holidays. We usually go Fridays which normally aren't too bad until the evenings. I guess I didn't expect Sunday to be worse but man, the people just kept coming in!

We watched Indy, Pooh, Splash Mtn, Screamin, and Pirates, all break down. Pirates broke down while we on the ramp at the end. That was interesting. It was also quite cold in the evening. On the bright side though, the fireworks, IASWH, and HM were all terrific as usual, and there were two monorails working. We still had a great time.

Andrew
11-24-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by MotorBoat Cruiser
Finally, unrelated to Pirates, does anyone have a clue how they decided that all parking lot speeds should be 14 MPH? This one makes no sense to me. Is there a significance to 14?

The significance is that it's an unusual number, so you are more likely to notice and (hopefully) obey.

UncleGDogWord
11-24-2003, 11:46 AM

I believe that the Cushman Cart and Golf Cart travel at that speed. When I worked for Paramount's Great America that was the speed our carts were set to. When you were driving one of the Trucks it was a pain to stay at 14 MPH cause is you past a security cart they wrote you up for speeding.

Forbin
11-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Back to the subject, you answers are probably maintenance. It takes money to fix the lights (which are only good for about 6 months) and motors and if they don't fix them you don't see them.

Look how long it took them to fix the heads on the fort. Before last month, the last time I saw them fully working was 1986.

eor1222
11-24-2003, 05:29 PM

This is just my theory, but it could also be a kind of psychological trick to be sure you're going slow. If you know that the speed limit is 14 mph, you'll know that going 15 mph or above is breaking the rule. If they posted the limit at 15, people might be more prone to go 20 mph and not feel so bad. (As if most of us went that slow through that lot...)

It's sort of like stores pricing something at $19.99, which is really $20, but something about all those nines make it sound a little less expensive...

SweetAurora
11-25-2003, 07:47 PM
I really am sorry you had to watch all those rides break down. I was working Sunday, and believe me, I heard all about it. NOT cool, but since I know what goes on behind the scenes, I can honestly say that it's usually something that is out of the ride operators' control. But as you said, you still had a good time, so that's cool. ;)
I noticed the replacement of the beams/chair in POTC as well. Doesn't everything in that area seem to be higher up, as well? I recall thinking it would be cool to stand up and snatch that shawl off that table dangling from the ceiling at the end, but now it seems way too far up. Hahaha.
The new changes I've noticed are the shirt on the Pirate lifting the treasure chest (he used to sport a mean tattoo, mmhmm!), the donkey coming and going (as well as the dog by the 3 singers, who breaks down often and disappears and reappears). There's also that pirate in the ship scene with his arm missing--he's on the far left side of the tower across from the ship, and for a couple of months, seemed to be missing his right arm. Well, recently they just tacked up a piece of cloth to block out the view, so I guess his handicap is still there...?

Anyhow, I'll try to find out more....

Love and Laughter!

Briarose710
11-27-2003, 07:51 AM
just a quick reply to the 14 MPH question the officail answer that we were given at disney brainwashing...er ..sorry Orientation. was that its an odd number that you will remember...the unofficail reason 'cause we're DIsney therefore we can =)

spectromen
12-03-2003, 11:53 AM
"Look how long it took them to fix the heads on the fort. Before last month, the last time I saw them fully working was 1986."

Are you talking about the pirates who shoot back at the ship in the battle scene? I thought those were newly added within the past couple years?!

danyoung
12-03-2003, 01:42 PM
I wonder if the 14 mph thing is anything like the outboard boat engine thing. You can pilot a boat with an engine of less than 10 horsepower without any kind of license. So they make boat motors that rate at 9.9 hp. Makes me wonder if there are other regulations that kick in at 15 mph, like the need for more caution reflectors or more security, etc. Just musing . . . . .

SacTown Chronic
12-03-2003, 02:18 PM
I think Andrew nailed it. I used to do work that required me to go on Chevron USA property. The posted speed limit was 12 1/2 mph. I was told it was set at that speed to catch your attention.

swtkissez
12-03-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Briarose710
just a quick reply to the 14 MPH question the officail answer that we were given at disney brainwashing...er ..sorry Orientation. was that its an odd number that you will remember...the unofficail reason 'cause we're DIsney therefore we can =)

i would like to second this :)

Forbin
12-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Are you talking about the pirates who shoot back at the ship in the battle scene? I thought those were newly added within the past couple years?!

I think some of the defenders were, but I am sure there was one defender that was always there. You mostly saw the top of his head as he was never lit.