PDA

View Full Version : Finally in the hot seat!

timl33
11-23-2003, 12:34 AM
Well, my year long quest is finally over, I made it into the Millionaire Hot Seat Saturday, Nov 22, 2003 at the Noon show. Funny way this happened.

I was there with my 13 year old brother, my cousin and my girlfriend. This is the very first time my brother and cousin have been to that game. The fast finger question comes up on Disney Musicals and I blow it completely. OTOH, my bro presses in a pre-determined guess pattern DBCA and winds up getting it right. When the scores are shown, his isn't up there until the #1 score flashes. It's his! So on his VERY FIRST try at the hotseat, he makes it in. Now of course, I'm very happy for him, but it just underscores my frustration at getting in the hotseat.

Anyways, he's exposed as a fast-finger guesser, and I'm betting not too many people give him a chance in the game, but he's actually pretty bright (smarter than I), and makes it through to 64,000 before losing on the 125,000 question. Of course I've been playing this whole time too. After 32,000 it was shown that I had the top score and after nailing the 64,000 and 125,000 questions correctly, I figured I had a good shot at the hot seat and I made it in! Finally after a year of trying, I'm in the hot seat.

I'm not terribly nervous as I have been on game shows before, but it's still good to get over the first question. I almost freeze a bit on the answer to the 1000 point question, but get the correct answer out before time runs out. I'm up to 4,000 and all lifelines intact when the buzzer sounds and I have to get carried on over to the next show. Well at the 1PM show, I get started well, answering 8,000 and 16,000 right away. The ask-the-audience helps me out with 32,000 and the 50/50 helps me out with the 64,000 question. I finally blow the 125,000 question, one that I'm sure many MousePadders would know. It was about the first project that Walt Disney Pictures produced (1923). I guessed Steamboat Willie, but it wasn't the right answer.

Oh well

I'll be back in December!

-Tim

Freerider127
11-23-2003, 07:33 AM
Congrats on gettin in the hotseat:cool:

millionairegirl
11-23-2003, 08:47 AM
I've missed the $125K question in the hot seat twice now! It must be the unlucky question.

What was the answer by the way? Was it Plane Crazy?

mlnreplyer
11-23-2003, 09:06 AM
Congratulations. The 125,000 point question is a personal dislike of mine, since I have missed it three times. Wear the shirt with pride. ;)

P.S. I believe it was Mickey's Polo Team.

tod
11-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Welcome to the Hot Seat Alumni Association.

The first "Walt Disney Pictures" project is an interesting question. I had thought "Walt Disney Pictures" was a later invocation of The Name, after the '80s advent of The New Guys and their dictum "Put 'Disney' on anything that will hold still." (You may notice that old pictures of the Main Street Cinema offer William S. Hart and Buster Keaton on the marquee. Even Walt wasn't as doctrinaire as these guys are.)

So my first guess would have been "Splash" or something like that.

But the "1923" makes it completely different. Walt had been making cartoons called "Laugh-O-Grams" and then went to the live-action/cartoon combination "Alice" comedies before getting involved with the Oswald the Lucky Rabbit character and getting fired and coming up with Mickey Mouse about 1927-1928. Or maybe Oswald came before Alice, I'm not sure -- and it seems like cheating to look it up now, because you can't look it up in the Hot Seat.

So I'll say a "Laugh-O-Gram."

--T
eligible again on Monday
:fez:

timl33
11-23-2003, 11:42 AM
I think the actual question read more like this: Walt Disney Pictures was founded in 1923 to produce what?

A: Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
B: Burbank Studios Lot
C: Alice Comedies
D: Steamboat Willie

I had heard of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, and of course Steamboat Willie. I didn't know about the Alice Comedies. I figured a new production company wouldn't be called on to build a studio lot, so I took B out of the picture right away. I guessed D.

Answer:
The answer was C: Alice Comedies

Originally posted by tod
Welcome to the Hot Seat Alumni Association.

But the "1923" makes it completely different. Walt had been making cartoons called "Laugh-O-Grams" and then went to the live-action/cartoon combination "Alice" comedies before getting involved with the Oswald the Lucky Rabbit character and getting fired and coming up with Mickey Mouse about 1927-1928. Or maybe Oswald came before Alice, I'm not sure -- and it seems like cheating to look it up now, because you can't look it up in the Hot Seat.

So I'll say a "Laugh-O-Gram."

--T
eligible again on Monday
:fez:

motoxmagicdca
11-23-2003, 06:03 PM
I went to millionaire today all shows and all the shows i was never on the board and finally the last show the last person(after 6 declines from the dog pound) i made it in i got to 32,000 (i got the polo shirt) ive been in the 4 times now.. and i blew the 64,00 question.. but im realy proud of myself

dude
11-24-2003, 09:17 AM
Congratulations on making the Hot Seat. It took me about a year, too before I got in the first time. Now I get in whenever I am eligible. Not sure why, but I think my trivia IQ has gone up.

Anyways, congrats to you, because you have done better than I have. Four times in the Hot Seat and four times missing the 64,000 question with two lifelines used on them. I have the worst luck ever.

Trying again on Sunday when I am eligible.