PDA

View Full Version : No, not my reindeer!

Pages : [1] 2

AVP
11-22-2003, 08:45 PM
The wonderfully silly reindeer from the Disneyland Christmas Fantasy Parade have been replaced by these, these THINGS with Simba's eyes and antlers.

WHY??????????????????????????????? Why did this have to happen? Where are my lolling-tongue friends? Why????

AVP

lisap
11-22-2003, 08:57 PM
Pictures? I'm getting ready to be very, very angry. :|

AVP
11-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by lisap
Pictures? I'm getting ready to be very, very angry. :| I'm working on them. You see, I am breaking in a brand new camera, (http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/PDF/d100.htm) so I have LOTS of images to process. :D

Edited to add: OK, here's one shot of them. Apparently the new camera has the same "won't focus on red things" issue that the old camera did. Ah, well - back to the user's manual.

http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compressed/Disneyland/Parades/NewReindeer3-112203-AVP.jpg

AVP

Morrigoon
11-22-2003, 10:48 PM
Don't shoot me: I like em.

I hope they haven't trashed the goofy reindeer, but it's nice to see at least SOMETHING change in that tired old parade.

("One more time! There's a special magic....")

Darkbeer
11-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Sigh, I have camera envy......:(

But AVP did choose wisely......:fez:

MrTomMorrow
11-22-2003, 11:47 PM
Well, as long as they keep the music... the theme song "A Christmas Fantasy" is the most catchy, up-tempo, poptacular song at Disneyland.

lisap
11-23-2003, 05:15 AM
Great picture :).

I'm trying not to want the old ones just 'cause. I'm going to give these a fair chance.

:(

CoasterMatt
11-23-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by MrTomMorrow
Well, as long as they keep the music... the theme song "A Christmas Fantasy" is the most catchy, up-tempo, poptacular song at Disneyland.

NO!!!!! If there's ever been a song that'll make me run screaming from a Disney park, it's that horrible loop...

I'd rather have the goofy looking reindeer

experiment626
11-23-2003, 06:44 AM
What a great improvement. I never understood why the reindeer had their tounges sticking out. Looked like the were mentally challanged or something.

Fantasmic Fan
11-23-2003, 07:49 AM
I don't mind the music but I'm not a big fan of the new reindeer. A friend of mine said that they look like Bambi reindeer.

Morrigoon
11-23-2003, 09:12 AM
I mind the music.... a lot.

GET SOMETHING NEW ALREADY!!! Something that lasts the entire parade instead of looping 6 times! (7 before the cut units from the parade)

Tony
11-23-2003, 09:19 AM
I've always liked the music. For me, it isn't really Christmas without the Christmas Fantasy parade. AVP always chants "One More Time" each time the loop starts again, and likes to tease me about it.

Regardless, the CF theme is infinately better than the 'Remember the Magic' schlock that has infested all of the Disney resorts!

Tony

sleepyjeff
11-23-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Fantasmic Fan
I don't mind the music but I'm not a big fan of the new reindeer. A friend of mine said that they look like Bambi reindeer.

Bambi:)

UncleGDogWord
11-23-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by AVP
http://www.mpimages.net/dlr/compressed/Disneyland/Parades/NewReindeer3-112203-AVP.jpg
[/B]

The Reindeer kind of remind me of Buck from Country Bear.

Man I do miss those bears around this time of the year. They should build a new theatre in DCA for the bears.

OK off my rant.

37 days till I go to the Magic Kindom! YEA!

MrTomMorrow
11-23-2003, 11:47 AM
Didn't they also re-do the costumes for the dancing snowmen (and snowwomen... snowpeople) last year? I didn't like the newer snowmen... The older ones were much cuter.

It seems as if they are slowly updating the parade, year by year.

MickeyLumbo
11-23-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by MrTomMorrow
Didn't they also re-do the costumes for the dancing snowmen (and snowwomen... snowpeople) last year? I didn't like the newer snowmen... The older ones were much cuter.

It seems as if they are slowly updating the parade, year by year.

i noticed one of the snowmen had cute dimples in his smile... thought that was cool ( no pun intended)

last night, there was a very very awesome Pre-parade parade... a very large (a couple hundred maybe) festive and beautifully costumed dancers (including dozens of adorable little tykes)... danced there way along the parade route to a very upbeat version of "Rockin Around The Christmas Tree". what a delightful surprise this was.

what i couldn't determine was if they were a disney group or outside...i assume outside... but they were GREAT!! i think they should be there each and every parade!!!

i miss the Very Merry Christmas Parade with the Chimney Sweeps, the catipillar with a dozen butterflies, the Herald Trumpets, the dogcatcher and Pluto's release of LIVE dogs from the back of the truck, the balloon release, and,the glockenspiel girls :D

the music from that parade did not loop... each unit had it's own and the finale, with Santa and the silly reindeer had such a festive medley that it would stay with ya for quite a while!

awh, the good ol' days:)

MickeyLumbo
11-23-2003, 02:17 PM
holy vermin! how could i forget to mention the Queen of Hearts and the marching cards?

they were AWESOME!

as for the new reindeer...i think they are cute and adorable...but, those silly cross-eyes, tongue hangin' reindeer sure did bring a bigger smile to my face and an occasional belly laugh too:)

let me include my gratefulness that Disneyland even HAD a Christmas parade last night (to my delighted surprise)...

those good ol' days, i must admit, only had TWO WEEKS of very merry christmas parade... so a BIG thankyou to disney for letting me see the parade in november;)

i love mousepad, i love you all, and i love disney!

blusilva
11-23-2003, 03:46 PM
Count me in with the "they're kind of cute in a Bambi sort of way" crowd.

Although those old tongue-challenged reindeer always said "Christmas at Disneyland" to me.

Cadaverous Pallor
11-23-2003, 11:53 PM
Fine with both kinds. Saw the new ones on Sunday. They're cute.

The song isn't bad.....it's just that they loop it. Over, and over, and over. Bleh.

Germboy
11-24-2003, 12:30 AM
Oh I miss "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parade" and Jack Wagner's warm introduction.

WDW still runs it. I really need to take a trip back there...

merlinjones
11-24-2003, 08:05 AM
The wacky reindeer have surely fallen victim to a horrible anti-cartoon disease that has stuck the entire Disney company though executives that... well, they hate cartoons. I mean hate with a passion!

Just look at Brother Bear, no caricature, no individual personality, no obesrvation or satire. (Sure, you can point to Bambi, but even there there was artful lyrical impressionism and idealization at play).

The fact is marketers like bland and realistic, never stylized (that's why the airbrush and computer are so worshipped and cartoons - - by essense reductionism - - are reviled).

The politically correct social engineers like everything to be tame and unoffensive and all look the same, playing down individuality, caricature, stereotypes or anything deemed offensive "meanness" (anything that's funny or unusual). (Cartoonishness is deemed by them to be old fashioned and naive or primitive art).

Between the two, shocking assults on cartooning and specificity of design and personality, the heart of Disney's success with characters, has been perpetrated on the company work. Talent has been weeded out appropriately.

You honestly wouldn't beleive the discussions I have heard in meetings on this topic... or the level of aggression the new execs take aginst cartoon "traditionalists".

One especially nasty development exec assaulted a board of actual Carl Barks drawings as "ugly" and old fashioned in a pitch meeting at TV Animation. That's Carl Barks...!

I'm sure the those wonderfully goofy, silly, cartoonish reindeer are a victim of the same trend/mentality. After all, if they made people laugh instead of share and care and spend, they can't be good, can they?

stan4d_steph
11-24-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
The wacky reindeer have surely fallen victim to a horrible anti-cartoon disease that has stuck the entire Disney company though executives that... well, they hate cartoons. I mean hate with a passion!

That must be it. Those new reindeer don't look fake at all. If they weren't standing on 2 legs I'd swear they were real.

Or it could be that the old costumes were getting worn out and sad, so they decided to update the look when they made new ones.

merlinjones
11-24-2003, 09:08 AM
>>That must be it. Those new reindeer don't look fake at all. If they weren't standing on 2 legs I'd swear they were real.<<

I guess you don't get it. Fake and cartoonish are not the same, it's a question of context and attitude and personality. Those old reindeer always made people laugh, these won't... they may get all warm and fuzzy, but they won't laugh.

>>Or it could be that the old costumes were getting worn out and sad, so they decided to update the look when they made new ones.<<

I'm sure the old ones were getting worn out. But the "updated" look includes no eggagerated humor or overt cartoonishness... certainly the recent trend of the Disney company across the board.

Why does "updated" and "modern" = humorless? Pixar would seem to be leading the other way.

Ghoulish Delight
11-24-2003, 10:29 AM
[i] Those old reindeer always made people laugh, these won't... they may get all warm and fuzzy, but they won't laugh.[/B] Yeah, wouldn't want that in a Christmas parade.

I laughed AT the old ones, not with. I'm sorry, but it looked like someone had shot them all with a tranq. dart to get them to march in the parade. I just didn't get it. I like the new ones.

those good ol' days, i must admit, only had TWO WEEKS of very merry christmas parade... so a BIG thankyou to disney for letting me see the parade in november :rolleyes: Ugh. Merry ThanksMasWeen. I can't hop on board with the steemrolling of Thanksgiving. And the writing's on the wall, Halloween is next (sometimes I resent Nightmare).

Mr. Wiggins
11-24-2003, 10:32 AM
>>You honestly wouldn't beleive the discussions I have heard in meetings on this topic... or the level of aggression the new execs take aginst cartoon "traditionalists".<<

Ohhhhh, yes I would....
;)

>>One especially nasty development exec assaulted a board of actual Carl Barks drawings as "ugly" and old fashioned in a pitch meeting at TV Animation. That's Carl Barks...!<<

With no exaggeration, there are enough incidents like this to fill a book. Calling David Koenig...?
:cool: