PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Disneyland Resort Refurbishments

AVP
11-30-2015, 05:07 PM
After I published the Update today I received some additional refurbishment information.

This really stinks for the folks visiting for the Star Wars Half Marathon weekend.

Disneyland

Jedi Training Academy – on hiatus until December 8.
Starcade – closed indefinitely.

Jungle Cruise – closes January 11 to remove the Jingle Cruise overlay. Reopening date to be determined.
Haunted Mansion – closes January 11 to remove the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay. Reopening date to be determined.
Autopia – closes January 11 for refurbishement. Reopening date to be determined.
Disneyland Railroad – closes January 11, 2016 due to the Star Wars Land-related construction around the Rivers of America. Expected to reopen spring 2017.
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes – closes January 11, 2016 due to the Star Wars Land-related construction around the Rivers of America. Expected to reopen spring 2017.
Fantasmic! – on hiatus effective January 11, 2016 due to the Star Wars Land-related construction around the Rivers of America. Expected to return summer 2017.
Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer Island – closes January 11, 2016 due to the Star Wars Land-related construction around the Rivers of America. Expected to reopen spring 2017.
Sailing Ship Columbia – closes January 11, 2016 due to the Star Wars Land-related construction around the Rivers of America. Expected to reopen spring 2017.
Mark Twain Riverboat – closes January 11, 2016 due to the Star Wars Land-related construction around the Rivers of America. Expected to reopen spring 2017.
Starcade – closed indefinitely.

Disney California Adventure

Blue Sky Cellar – closed; reopening date now TBD. Permits have been filed to expand the location for use by the Disney Vacation Club.
Luigi's Flying Tires – closed. Ride to be removed and replaced; reopening date unknown.
A Bug's Land Theater – It's Tough to be a Bug on hiatus until December 14 due to The Good Dinosaur sneak peek.
Muppet*Vision 3D – closed indefinitely due to the Frozen Fun overlay.
Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular – closes January 10, 2016. Replaced in Summer 2016 by a new Frozen musical.

Luigi's Flying Tires – closed. Ride to be removed and replaced; reopening date unknown.
Soarin' Over California – closes January 4 for refurbishment. Reopening date TBD.
Grizzly River Run – closes January 11 for refurbishment. Reopening date TBD.

MidwayManiac
11-30-2015, 06:20 PM

Soarin' Over California closes January 4 for refurbishment. Reopening date TBD.

Meet 2016; just like 2015.

corona
12-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Autopia – closes January 11 for refurbishement. Reopening date to be determined.
determined yesterday (https://www.facebook.com/perlster.pix/posts/1528568800795177?pnref=story)
(and Grizzly River Run)

Soarin' Over California – closes January 4 for refurbishment. Reopening date TBD.
determined a week ago (https://www.facebook.com/perlster.pix/posts/1525449501107107?pnref=story)

candles71
12-01-2015, 08:57 AM
determined yesterday (https://www.facebook.com/perlster.pix/posts/1528568800795177?pnref=story)
(and Grizzly River Run)

determined a week ago (https://www.facebook.com/perlster.pix/posts/1525449501107107?pnref=story) Where do they get their information from?

wabby1
12-01-2015, 09:55 AM
I would guess they're going to implement the "Soarin' Over the World" in place of California....just a guess.

Malcon10t
12-01-2015, 12:31 PM
(and Grizzly River Run)

determined a week ago (https://www.facebook.com/perlster.pix/posts/1525449501107107?pnref=story)I don't consider them to be a reputable source, and I know MP relies on reputable sources. It is a very good chance they are right. But MP prefers to use Disney sources.

czarina68
12-03-2015, 07:13 PM
I don't consider them to be a reputable source, and I know MP relies on reputable sources. It is a very good chance they are right. But MP prefers to use Disney sources.

I do hope they're right about Grizzly River Run being open by January 14. We arrive a week later, and it's a favorite (though experiencing it in the winter will be a first). Does anyone know how long it typically takes to take down the holiday overlay on the Haunted Mansion?

Malcon10t
12-03-2015, 07:28 PM
I do hope they're right about Grizzly River Run being open by January 14. We arrive a week later, and it's a favorite (though experiencing it in the winter will be a first). Does anyone know how long it typically takes to take down the holiday overlay on the Haunted Mansion?Generally 10 days. It has been longer in the past when they have redone the wood floors.

RMartin
12-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Does this mean you have until the 11th to see the Christmas overlays on those attractions and also is there any mention of Small World and Space?

3Princesses1Prince
12-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Does this mean you have until the 11th to see the Christmas overlays on those attractions and also is there any mention of Small World and Space?
It looks like Haunted mansion holiday will be up until the 11th. Small world is typically closed once HM reopens. Hyperspace Mountain will be up for several months.

czarina68
12-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Thank you! I love Haunted Mansion, would have been so bummed out to miss it but it seems we're safe.

corona
12-08-2015, 05:48 AM
... and the hits keep coming (https://www.facebook.com/perlster.pix/posts/1531719297146794?pnref=story)

olegc
12-08-2015, 09:30 AM
... and the hits keep coming (https://www.facebook.com/perlster.pix/posts/1531719297146794?pnref=story)

while yes there is a lot of refurb going on - I am not surprised by it with the amount of shows that are being run and attractions being pushed to their limits during the holiday period. Did the WoC show go down around the same time last year? what kind of maintenance level do you normally expect on this show? I think those are things not readily available to the public.

It does make it seem even more Schleprock-like in that so much is down after the beginning of the year and it hurts more with the price increases to passes. Would they consider gate price increases after the new year? probably. I would only be very surprised if they ramp up an attendance push for early 2016 when everything is already closed. That would be truly a "bad show" effort. However, I do expect a similar push for locals to come anyway at the beginning of the year. They will have to do something to combat Harry Potter at USH which now officially opens April 7th.

corona
12-08-2015, 10:52 AM
I don't consider them to be a reputable source,

Boo hoo! :eyeroll:

Gotta more reliable source than this?

Reopening dates of Haunted Mansion and Jungle Cruise are now official (https://www.facebook.com/perlster.pix/posts/1526714837647240?pnref=story).

candles71
12-08-2015, 10:10 PM
I noticed the front half of the Starcade is being used for stroller parking for Space and the theater.

corona
12-12-2015, 05:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re72di5phM0

czarina68
12-13-2015, 04:42 PM
Did the WoC show go down around the same time last year? what kind of maintenance level do you normally expect on this show?

Digging into older posts, it seems last year WoC went down Jan 7 for about two months for reprogramming. With F! down starting in January, I hope this year's WoC refurb is a lot speedier than that. :/

corona
12-15-2015, 03:15 PM
.. 2 Soarin' closures and it's a small world reopening date is now known

corona
12-16-2015, 09:08 AM
... and another "It's Tough to be a Bug!" closure to add to the fun in January

olegc
12-16-2015, 09:54 AM
at this point its kind of ridiculous to point out all the closures. To me January and Feb have always been hit and miss times, and now with SW land its huge. The only way things will change is if folks vote with their money, i.e. go elsewhere. Or line up by the hundreds at City Hall every day. Frankly I don't see either happening any time soon even with the closures. To me - many are just resigned to the fact they'll have to deal with it for the promise of something better later. That does not help the out of town (or country) tourist on their once-in-a-lifetime trip but it seems that the parks have decided that's not important either. What's important is to cater to the Disney guest who's willing to do whatever, as long as its Disney, and create new and exclusive events and experiences to ensure you come back because, hey, you never know if it will be around later. Sort of like the news media and political candidates or company heads - you never hear the tough hard questions because they still want access. So they just go along.

I wonder if not just discounts - but the meet-and-greets from years past will come back. Don't know where they will hold it since the ranch is gone - but I can see where they would create different offerings that are easy to set up and tear down in order to bring the Disney-or-bust fan back time and again.

danyoung
12-17-2015, 08:53 AM
Closures have been a fact ever since the park opened. You used to arrive and RUN up to the ticket booths to see which rides were closed for that day. If Pirates or the Haunted Mansion were closed it would just about ruin your morning. The only thing different these days is that the closures are announced over the internet, and everyone can see for themselves what the schedule is.

corona
12-21-2015, 11:04 AM
and closure #3 is as official as they get

BTW, they haven't stopped singing.

buffy24
12-28-2015, 08:11 AM
Is the Jungle Cruise really closed for almost 3 months just to remove the Holiday Overlay? I was wondering if it was a misprint or if they are planning to do some other work in addition to that. 3 months to remove a holiday overlay seems a bit excessive.