PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder BBQ

cstephens
11-29-2015, 09:20 AM
I had lunch at Big Thunder BBQ yesterday with some friends. I haven't been in a while and really like the food there, and I wanted to be able to visit before they closed. My friends had not been there before since it became a buffet place. We all really enjoyed our meal. I love the flavoring of the sauce on the chicken and the ribs, and I like that they're not overly sauced. The ribs are particularly tender as well. I don't normally like cornbread because I find it to often be dry, but I love the cornbread there, and I'm also partial to the cole slaw because it's vinegar based rather than mayonnaise based. The only thing I'm not partial to is the bbq beans, because I find them to be too sweet, as I usually do for bbq beans, but my friends who like bbq beans said it was really good. I've also had the vegetarian skewers there before so I was glad that I was able to ask for some of those as well. They came nicely seasoned, with pieces of potato, zucchini, onion and peppers, and one piece of tofu on each skewer. The meal includes a drink, and there are dessert selections that you can order for an extra charge. I was happy when they no longer included dessert as part of the meal, because I'm always too full to have dessert afterward.

I haven't been there for dinner in its current version, so I'm hoping that I might be able to do that before they close. And maybe try to make a return trip sometime for lunch as well. I really miss the old version of Big Thunder BBQ, but I'm sad to see this restaurant and the whole area go away.

Here's a picture of the lunch offerings, including the vegetarian skewer. (https://twitter.com/cstephens2/status/670761490513686528)

tea4two
11-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the report and photos. When did they switch to buffet? Our farewell dinner reservation is coming up, so I'm interested to see how things go.

AVP
11-29-2015, 03:46 PM
I had lunch at Big Thunder BBQ yesterday with some friends. I haven't been in a while and really like the food there, and I wanted to be able to visit before they closed. My friends had not been there before since it became a buffet place.I've clearly missed something, because I didn't know it HAD gone buffet. When did that happen?

Malcon10t
11-29-2015, 04:29 PM
I *think* she meant since it became all you can eat family style, vs when it was a counter service restaurant.

cstephens
11-29-2015, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the report and photos. When did they switch to buffet?

I've clearly missed something, because I didn't know it HAD gone buffet. When did that happen?

I *think* she meant since it became all you can eat family style, vs when it was a counter service restaurant.

Apparently, that word does not mean what I think it means. Yes, to me, buffet means the same thing as all you can eat, but in this case, they bring you the food rather than you having to go get it.

josephfive
11-29-2015, 07:11 PM
Got it. I too think of buffet as all you can eat.

tea4two
11-30-2015, 12:39 AM
I think of it as a style of serving food. Some restaurants do have an AYCE policy to their buffets, some limit the number of times you can go through the line. And it might be rather odd to approach a more formal wedding reception buffet with an AYCE mindset. I guess it depends on how one defines ALL you can eat.

cmangano
11-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Want to eat here for dinner on Wednesday before it closes for good. Do you think we need reservations?

LauraTD
11-30-2015, 12:48 PM
Apparently, that word does not mean what I think it means. Yes, to me, buffet means the same thing as all you can eat, but in this case, they bring you the food rather than you having to go get it.

I thought it was some dude who sings about getting drunk on the beach.

olegc
11-30-2015, 01:46 PM
I want to go - but I'd be going solo, so may have to skip. I'd rather not get the feeling of being stared at when eating BBQ at an AYCTE place (not that I would go overboard or anything).

I forget - is it reservation only or walk-up too?

cstephens
11-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Want to eat here for dinner on Wednesday before it closes for good. Do you think we need reservations?

If you really want to eat there, yes, you should make a reservation. They will turn people away if they are full.

They'll accept walk-ups if there's room, but not if they're full. When I was there for Saturday lunch, they were turning people away who didn't have reservations.

candles71
11-30-2015, 02:25 PM
I thought it was some dude who sings about getting drunk on the beach.

:p:geek:

Nikara
12-01-2015, 10:51 AM
I want to go - but I'd be going solo, so may have to skip. I'd rather not get the feeling of being stared at when eating BBQ at an AYCTE place (not that I would go overboard or anything).

I recently went solo (for lunch), and it really wasn't that bad. They had me share a table with a couple, but I got my own servings/containers/food, so we weren't cross-contaminating germs between parties. I'd recommend it, just for the experience!

josephfive
12-01-2015, 02:52 PM
olegc -- just do it! No one's gonna be staring at you :)

tea4two
12-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Exactly! If anyone stares, it will be because he/she is jealous that you get all the food to yourself! :)

Drince88
12-02-2015, 05:23 AM
It's sadder to not do something because you're doing it solo, than to do things solo!

Janis and Aaron
12-02-2015, 08:16 PM

You're welcome to join us if you can make it for lunch on Jan. 7th.

We have to eat there one more time before it goes. It had become our special Mother's Day place.

olegc
12-03-2015, 09:03 AM
You're welcome to join us if you can make it for lunch on Jan. 7th.

We have to eat there one more time before it goes. It had become our special Mother's Day place.

thanks for the invite. I am trying to get there this friday (12/4) for lunch. I may take you up on your offer if I don't get there. I'll PM you to let you know.

Janis and Aaron
12-03-2015, 09:31 AM
thanks for the invite. I am trying to get there this friday (12/4) for lunch. I may take you up on your offer if I don't get there. I'll PM you to let you know.

OK. I really wouldn't try it without a reservation right now. We have gone there as a walk-in before, many times, but two weeks ago we tried and they weren't even taking names for a wait list. You could try calling the dining reservation number the morning of to see if they have any availability.

olegc
12-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Curious - what's the required cancellation window - 24 hours? 48?

candles71
12-03-2015, 02:53 PM
Curious - what's the required cancellation window - 24 hours? 48?
24 for Disney Dining.

olegc
12-03-2015, 04:48 PM
24 for Disney Dining.
Thanks!

olegc
12-04-2015, 05:52 PM
I was able to walk in today for lunch. Park was pretty crowded and most other food places were packed but several tables were empty at BTRBBQ including mine. Yummy. I do hope some of this - as is- makes it to River Belle Terrace.

Toocherie
12-11-2015, 11:21 AM
I am going with friends on January 9th.