PDA

View Full Version : Staying Concierge Tomorrow!!

80S ERA
09-21-2001, 06:55 AM
How much does my gf and I love DL? So much, that we live 12 miles from the park and still want to stay at the hotel! It seems like they are really low on occupancy these days, so they are offering "low" (for DL hotels) rates for MKC, AP, and AAA members.

Here are some of the quotes I got yesterday:

- Concierge Room: $240
- Superior View: $181
- City View: $173
- Standard View: $150

Of course, I booked the concierge room for Saturday. I've never seen the price that low! I know some folks who have paid over $400/night during peak season!

Why stay at the hotel when we live so close by? Because we want to experience DL from a tourist's perspective.. With that said, I plan on having as much of a non-APish itinerary as possible. Here's a tentative rundown of my plan:

Arrival Day
Morning - find out what time magic morning/early entry starts
- check-in our luggage
- Breakfast at River Belle Terrace (mickey pancakes!)
- Go on rides / get fastpasses
Afternoon - check if our room is ready
- Attend concierge hospitality hour
- Go for a dip in Neverland Pool
- Check out Team Mickey's Workout
Evening
- Fantasmic Dessert Buffet (If available) or Blue Bayou Dinner

Departing Day
- Breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen
- Go on a few rides
- Check-out :crying:

Since I've done just about everything in DL as an AP holder, I want to try our what the hotel has to offer and pretend we're from out of the country.

Does anyone have any last minute advise or suggestions to take FULL ADVANTAGE of a concierge stay? I'll be giving a review hopefully on Monday.

p.s. - For those who know me personally, don't tell my gf...Its a surprise!! She's always wanted to stay at the hotel!

TakeMe2Disneyland
09-22-2001, 06:14 PM
Is "Believe" on during weekends right now? If so...the Concierge lounge is a terrific spot to watch the fireworks. Nibble on cookies, sip a soda...they'll play the narration, throw open the windows. You'll enjoy it!

80S ERA
09-24-2001, 06:49 AM
Just got back last night. What a blast!! We never knew that staying at the hotel (esp. concierge)would make that much of a difference!!

For those of you thinking of upgrading to concierge sometime, here are some of the privileges we were able to take advantage of:

- Concierge Lounge - Great view of the parks. We constantly visited for breakfast, afternoon wine tasting, and stocking up on our drinks (they allow each person to take up to 2 drinks out of the lounge).
- Concierge Desk - Very helpful and friendly people. As young adults, my girlfriend and I often encounter snotty folks during luxury stays, perhaps from our apearance. This was not the case. They were able to book our dinner at the UVA lounge in DTD, after we failed to make reservations on our own. Evidence that they are able to "pull a few strings" here and there.
- Sierra Tower View - This was great. We had a panoramic view of both parks and DTD from our huge window on the 9th floor. Since we had a corner location, we had an additional window that provided us a view of downtown Anaheim. We also were able to watch a wedding in the garden.
- Turn-down service - Can you say spoiled? I don't know if leaving a tip made a difference, but they went all out!! I've heard of them leaving a few treats behind, but they left a whole box of Mickey Shortbread Cookies!! They also left a bunch of chocolate disney coins.
- Team Mickey Workout - since we didn't spend much time in the parks (we're both AP's anyway) we were able to get in a quick workout. The place is very clean and has a few treadmills, stairclimbers, universal gym, a few TV monitors, water, towels, and a massage chair!

I told my girlfriend that this was only a preview of our Orlando trip we plan on taking sometime soon. Checking out was the sad part. I guess its back to reality, again. :(

Thanks to Lani for her helpful article... your article convinced me to upgrade!

Upanova
09-24-2001, 07:56 AM
Oh man, gotta get the hubby and take an hour trip down to the "Real World!" Those rates are unbelievable. We stayed a couple of years ago at DLH Congeirere room for 400 bucks! Geeze, I'll have to book a weekend stay soon. Do you have any info about rates for the Grand Californian?

Thanks for the info. Runs off to make some phone calls.

Upanova:p :p :p :p

80S ERA
09-24-2001, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Upanova
Do you have any info about rates for the Grand Californian?

Unfortunately, when I refered to a "low occupancy these days" it doesn't apply to the Grand Californian. The Disney Rep I spoke to said they are at full occupancy almost every night.

Just a suggestion - Just about any room can be a concierge room. I'd recommend a room on the end wings of any of the towers. The Bonita and Marina towers seem to provide a full balcony and an additional window for corner rooms on the park-end of the buldings. This way, you might get the best of both views - the Neverland Pool and the parks!

Disney Crone/Kid
09-24-2001, 02:39 PM
I have been looking forward to your report, 80S ERA. I too was quite taken by .Lani's report, Feel Like Royalty on your next Disneyland visit (http://www.mouseplanet.com/lani/concierge.htm).

I am delighted to read your positive account of your Concierge-Level experience of the Disney Grand Californian Hotel. We have a constant stream of out-of-state visitors, some well-heeled, and I can better recommend this hotel and its luxury service with confidence.

Your gf is one lucky young lady with a guy with such impeccable taste! (If it doesn't work out, I've got a niece...)

I love everything about that hotel; with certainty, there was no nickel-and-diming when they built it. Its Arts and Crafts architecture is something to behold, and I am continually impressed by its trueness to form. Whenever I'm in DCA, I make it a point to stop in and wander about, admiring the painstakingly crafted details and soaking up its cavernous, yet cozy ambience, reminiscent of Yosemite's Ahwanee Hotel and Yellowstone's Lodge.

Come winter, those fireplaces, in and out, will be compellingly welcoming, yanking me in and plopping me into those wooden rockers without protest. Already, I find myself in a heightened sense of anticipation; with its alpine, rustic feel, that great room, decked out in holiday finery, will be nothing short of dazzling.

Darkbeer
09-24-2001, 09:16 PM
Based on his post, I think he stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, not the Grand Californian.

80S ERA
09-25-2001, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Disney Crone/Kid
Your gf is one lucky young lady with a guy with such impeccable taste! (If it doesn't work out, I've got a niece...)

Thanks! However, all the wine drinking and luxury stays are tough on my wallet. ;) Just kidding! She's worth every penny of it when I see her smile! :D

btw - I stayed at the DLH, not the grand californian. I wanted to stay at the GCH, but they were booked that weekend. I'm hoping to get a good deal on the Grand Floridian when we go to Orlando next year! The place reminds me of the Hotel Del Coronado!

TinkR
09-25-2001, 10:42 PM
I've lucked out and stayed Concierge at all three Disneyland facilities. My favorite is the Disneyland Hotel Siera Tower. It has the BEST view of the park. When I stayed at the Paradise Pier the lounge didn't even have any windows, which stunk. The Grand had a plush lounge but all you could see was the tops of trees and the top of the Matahorn. I'm told the Fireworks are pretty from the Grand Hotel, but we watched them at the park. The fireworks from the park side Siera Tower is great. When we stay there I always try and get a park view in case my little ones can't make it that late.

I'm heading down (from S.F. Bay Area) to Disneyland next Monday, but unfortunately won't be staying at the Disney Hotels. My husband's company is putting us up somewhere else. Since it's their dime, I'm not complaining.

TinkR