PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Roller Coaster?

Pat-n-Eil
11-21-2003, 03:55 PM
I was watching some special about Disneyworld where they were talking about this Downtown Disney attraction that allows you to program your ride (from wild to tame) and it prints out the ride on a magnetic strip card.

The rider then gives the card to the CM and they strap themselves in for the ride.

This looks great. Anyone know the chances of something like that making it to Anaheim?

Freerider127
11-21-2003, 04:06 PM
They have something like this in innovations but it really is not that great. This will cost money $$$ and because of that I dont think we will be getting it.

rexfarms
11-21-2003, 05:00 PM
Isnt this at Disney Quest? :confused: I rather have a new real e-ticket than a "virtual e-ticket"

Freerider127
11-21-2003, 05:40 PM
I have to agree with rexfarms on this one. Its better to have a true E-Ticket rather than a "virtual E ticket".

rexfarms
11-21-2003, 06:24 PM
True but I'm not sure I want a Roller Coaster type attraction. Something with the deatil of Indy. Maybe TigerTail7777 can come in here and incorperate Indy style detail into a coaster, although not themed to Indy.

Tigertail777
11-21-2003, 08:33 PM
LOL!!! Ok it depends on what land we are talking... gotta match the theme ya know. so give me a land I will go from there... merlin and others on the board are very capable armchair imagineers too... feel free to pitch in folks...:D

But back to pat&Eli a moment... I think if they put a full really well done Disneyquest in downtown disney it would be a nice addition that wouldnt cost much really. In fact it wouldnt be too huge of leap to turn a Disneyquest into a true "pizza planet" like in toy story, just put it in tomorrowland possibly where the starcade used to be, then use resources from rockettredd's, and use that building for something else. I would love to be able to get "alien slime" from a machine like in the movie LOL! None of this would be very hard really: just use the pizza equipment and resources already there, use some of the old disneyquest equipment converted into a "space" theme like in toystory, make a few new wow things to add to the atmosphere (like aforementioned slime machines, and also the cool robot guards at the doors etc.) and yer good to go. Disney could offer special birthday packages waaaay beating out chucky cheeses... what kid wouldnt want their birthday in PIZZA PLANET? and then get to go to Disneyland after???

rexfarms
11-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Well TigerTail, where do we need a coaster. I'm counting on you, merlin and other armchair imagineers to figure this out. (Not that anything would ever happen). Dont you guys think that a coaster you couldnt see out in the open with loops and everything wouldnt be as cool as something more like Big Thunder or Space. I dont want to see a big looming coaster like at 6 flags but I rather it have a Disney feel to it, you know? Do you guys agree?:)

CoasterMatt
11-22-2003, 06:55 PM
I think Disney should lay off the coasters until it can figure out how to maintain the ones it's already got...

running them to ruin doesn't count, either

rexfarms
11-22-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by CoasterMatt
I think Disney should lay off the coasters until it can figure out how to maintain the ones it's already got...

running them to ruin doesn't count, either Agreed!

MrTomMorrow
11-22-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Pat&Eil
I was watching some special about Disneyworld where they were talking about this Downtown Disney attraction that allows you to program your ride (from wild to tame) and it prints out the ride on a magnetic strip card.

The rider then gives the card to the CM and they strap themselves in for the ride.

This looks great. Anyone know the chances of something like that making it to Anaheim?

It sounds like the "virtual Space Mountain" attraction at DisneyQuest in Downtown Disney. I think you design your own custom rollercoaster on a computer, and then you can actually ride it in this special simulator that can even do inversions. It looks super-cool.

Moonliner
11-22-2003, 08:45 PM
Hello:

Been there done that, not really too impressed.

At WDW it's in DisneyQuest and it is called Virtual Space Mountain. To "ride" it you first go to the design station. You have about 5Min to design your ride using a touch screen. You can pick from stock options like loops, corkscrews, hills, etc... String them all together however you want and you have your ride.

Once you have completed your design you are (after a wait) show to the coaster. Picture a good sized barrel laid on it's side with seats and a TV monitor (no HDTV here). The barrel can rotate all the way around both forward/back and left/right giving it a full range of motion. It then takes you through your ride timed to the image on the screen. The visuals are weak and the motion (at least on mine) rather jerky and not very much like a real coaster. Hanging upside down in a barrel is just not the same as hitting a loop at speed. I'll stick with the real thing for now.

On the other hand the virtual Pirates of the Caribbean attraction was very well done.

cryan71
11-22-2003, 10:00 PM
I remember seeing this at E3, it looked really cool but the line at E3 was way long for it.