PDA

View Full Version : the secret's out

Bonster
11-13-2015, 01:30 PM
Since the changeover from Orville to Pop Secret, I've been expecting to see some commentary on the change - substantive or impression. However, nothing yet.

Popcorn is my jam...my manna...my go to...my sustenance for most of a two-three day run. First treat when we arrive and last thing for the walk back to the hotel. I know I'm not alone....

Will be on the parks 12/9-13. Any cause for concern? Cozy Cone flavors gone with Pop Secret as well?

Darren
11-13-2015, 02:18 PM
I love the popcorn too... I can't give a review as I won't get to DLR until May

josephfive
11-13-2015, 02:26 PM
LOL, same with my husband. No trip can be complete without popcorn. In fact, he got some on the way out of the parks last time we were there. Review? I thought it tasted great! And no negative comments from my DH. I am a big fan of Orville and thought it to be just as good. Maybe it's the oil that's the secret ingredient?

cstephens
11-13-2015, 07:21 PM
I just had popcorn from the Cozy Cone today. Tasted as good as ever to me.

potzbie
11-13-2015, 09:56 PM
Wait a minute.
I've never heard of "bad popcorn".
So how can you tell one popcorn from another?

smd4
11-14-2015, 08:54 AM
Popcorn can--and is--measured for volume after popping, indicating the size of the popped kernel. Orville Reddenbacher has often claimed larger kernels. Not to mention, the brand itself was more in keeping with the perceived higher quality items one could expect to find at the Park (it was, after all, "gourmet"). The flavor of the popcorn, which should be the same, isn't what's at issue here.

Bonster
11-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Orville corn at the DLR was consistently fluffy and a little bit chewy - just enough to give it the right texture. Pop Secret I think of more as a microwave item - high on flavor because of the high oil/salt balance in the popping bag. The proof will be at the carts! I'm glad no one has panned the Pop.

smd4
11-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Pop Secret also sells "loose" pop corn, not just microwave pop corn. It's as good or better than Reddenbacher (I still pop popcorn in a "whirley-pop" over the stove).

Bonster
11-15-2015, 08:35 AM
Yeah smd4 - whirley pop is the greatest and there's not a close second. I'm working on my third one after wearing out the first two over the last 20 years. ??

smd4
11-15-2015, 09:00 AM
I'm on my second...I was bummed when they switched from metal gears to plastic, since the plastic seemed to strip more easily, but I've managed to keep mine going for the last ten years by super-gluing the gears in place on their shafts so they don't spin.

Fun fact: f you want Disney-tasting popcorn, use what they use to make it: Flavacol seasoning and Pop 'n Lite oil. Both are available on the internet.

AVP
11-15-2015, 02:50 PM
This is going to be nit-picky, but I personally prefer Redenbacher to Pop Secret, because Pop Secret kernels seem to be smaller, and with a more noticeable hull.

dsny1mom
11-15-2015, 04:41 PM
My review:

Pop has same flavor as Orville's, however the seasonings seems to not be as well distributed on Pop as it was on Orville's. With Pop some handfuls are heavily seasoned, almost too much, and other handfuls tasted weaker.

Pop kernels are not as fluffy or chewy as Orville's. Pop kernels are crispier than Orville's.

Pop kernels are from large to medium to smallish medium (Orville's were almost all large) in size with Pop having many more hulls than Orville's.

I compare this change to the change in chicken vendors for Bengal Barbeque several years ago. The skewers still tasted the same but the size, texture and chew of the chicken was not the same.

I loved everything about Orville's but all I love about Pop is the flavor.

Review based on popcorn purchased at DL. Did not buy any flavors DCA. Have been a popcorn DL fanatic for decades. Eat several boxes each trip and bring gallon baggies to be able to take 10-12 boxes home with me at the end of each trip. :)

dsny1mom

candles71
11-15-2015, 05:26 PM
This thread amuses me. :) In a good way, we are quite a fanatic bunch, aren't we?
I've gone to popping mine on the stove and only buying Orville, if I can. Not, back to as even when I was a kid my mom had an electric kettle kind of popper, then we had a plastic vented one that went in the microwave.

Bonster
11-16-2015, 10:26 AM
Thanks all for the valuable insights and opinions. Counting down the 23 days until I get to do some hands on research! ;)

Bon

jmorgan
11-16-2015, 12:09 PM
I was in the park as a kid the day that Orville himself was filming a commercial for his popcorn in front of the castle. I saw the commercial many years later. Not sure why it took so long to televise.

sjhanksaz
11-17-2015, 05:34 AM
I will just have to taste for myself next month

cstephens
11-17-2015, 07:13 AM
I had popcorn yesterday because I bought the new tie fighter bucket, and I don't consider myself any kind of popcorn expert, but it tasted great to me.

NickP
11-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Funny, just the other day my wife, youngest and I were all talking about how good the popcorn we got at the Cozy Cone was when we were there over the summer. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

TulaBelle
11-20-2015, 04:58 AM
While I can't say about DL popcorn, my hubby and I have been on a popcorn quest for some time now. We agree with the earlier post about Flavacol, it really does give that fantastic "movie theater" flavor. We bought ours on eBay. Also, the oil it's popped in makes a difference. Most common is coconut oil. But I like the light delicate flavor of extra virgin olive oil, I use the frying/baking lightly colored ones. Sometimes we pop on the stove, sometimes in the microwave. I find preheating the oil slightly gives a better yield.