PDA

View Full Version : How about eliminating FastPass?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

CoasterMatt
11-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Hi there,

We've all gone round and round with the "The AP Program is EVIL!! EVIL!! and should be dismantled" threads, but how about this idea. FastPass really only truly works when there is a certain amount of ride capacity / walkway space. Why not temporarily shutdown FastPass until more actual attractions reopen? It might be a difficult sell, but if the company wants to make a gutsy move to better guests experience at the park, that might be a way. I wouldn't mind FastPass much if there were more attractions open. Once BTMRR and Space reopen, and Buzz opens, bring FastPass back online.

innerSpaceman
11-19-2003, 03:37 PM
Um, or don't bring it back on line.

The caste system is elitist, unwaltified, and evil.

Darkbeer
11-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Well, Disney is cutting back on the amount of FastPasses they issue, with the change to only allowing Walt Disney Travel/AAA folks who buy full packages, and stay at one of the three Disney owned hotels to get the Enhanced FastPass option in 2004. While this is more than likely a cutback of 5 to 10%, it is still a cutback. They could also make more of the "Stand Alone" machines networked, reducing the amount issued... But then they would have issues with labor hours, as some of the lessor rides (think star tours) wouldn't have many FP's issued, and therefore would lose the CM's that handle/collect the FP's (Management would say the position doesn't make sense since nobody is using the FP..) Of course, they could remove/close the FP there, but then they don't have the added perk for those staying at the Disney hotels.....

hazlnut
11-19-2003, 04:07 PM
How about this:

Kiosks in the front and around the park, like ATM's where you can insert your passport and imput the 4 or 5 attractions/shows you would most want to see and what time you were planning on eating, etc. Then an itinerary pops out with ride times about 9O apart, allowing time for strolling and going on smaller rides, and maybe a preferred seating reservation for lunch and/or dinner.

Better yet, if you could do that from home 1 week prior to your trip.

I would like a Fastpass Kiosk that would allow me to get Splash Mountain FPs without having to trek all the way over there only to find out they're sold out till 9pm.

CoasterMatt
11-19-2003, 04:29 PM
I like the way Universal Express at USF is set up. They have tables for picking up your Express passes, but instead of one at each attraction clogging things up, they have 2 or 3 attractions at each location

HBTiggerFan
11-19-2003, 05:51 PM
I know I have become increadibaly spoiled by FastPass. For the most part if a line is longer than 15 minutes I don't want to wait and I'll get a FastPass. I remember before FastPass I would wait 2+ hours.

While it would significanly reduce the amount of things I go on during a day I think a lot of the wait times would drop and the walk-ways would be less crowded.

screamin4ever
11-19-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Um, or don't bring it back on line.

I'm with you!

Down with ClassPass!

hazlnut
11-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by screamin4ever
I'm with you!

Down with ClassPass!

When I was in my teens and twenties, I didn't mind waiting an hour or more to go on that cool new ride. But as a parent with 9-year-old and a toddler, waiting in line, sometimes in the hot sun, is something I like to avoid, and am willing to pay extra for it. It's not about class, for me, it's about helping my kids have a good time and see everthing they can.

So, VIP passes like the ones at Universal, I'm all for it. $99 -- no waiting--it's worth it.

EandCDad
11-19-2003, 06:51 PM
I don't see Fast Pass as eliteist. It's available to anyone who can read.

I'm not sure if crowded walkways is such the tragedy it's being made out to be lately. Sure, I prefer that it be less crowded, but if the reason for dumping Fastpass is that it's less crowded on Main Street, count me out.

We enjoyed a fine day at DL recently without using a FP, but I know on some days, it's nice to have the option of not waiting 2 hours to ride Indy or Splash Mountain or something. How is my experience improved by waiting in those long lines? Isn't it nicer to go to Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, ride the train, have some popcorn and sit and listen to the band? If I have to trade more crowded walkways for those opportunities, I'm cool with it.

CoasterMatt
11-19-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by hazlnut
So, VIP passes like the ones at Universal, I'm all for it. $99 -- no waiting--it's worth it.

Actually, Front of the Line Passes are currently $79 per person for general admission, $69 for guests under 48 inches in height. The FOLs also include behind the scenes and meet and greets at Spiderman Rocks, Waterworld, and Animal Planet Live. The product at Universal (Hollywood) that is currently $99 per person(normally $129, no children under 5), is the VIP Experience, a semi-private guided tour of all the park attractions, along with a special version of the studio backlot tour aboard a smaller "trolley" instead of the supertrams. They get a much more in depth look at the studio, and a nice lounge with really yummy desserts and snacks. The VIP experience is limited to 16 people per group, and reservations can be made in advance, so it does sell out rather quickly.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

BTW, I don't want to see this type of product at Disneyland, they're different types of parks, and Disneyland should be enjoyed by all who enter equally.

cemeinke
11-19-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman

Perhaps - but I still like it ;)

Yesterday I was at the Main Street Train Station and took a moment to look at the large arial map they have there circa Spalsh construction. It must have been a typical Summer day - long lines for Space, Thunder, Stat Tours, Pirates, and Mansion. And I remembered those days of hour-plus-long waits... Seeing that pciture was proof enough to me that Fast Pass is a good thing.

CoasterMatt
11-19-2003, 07:09 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like, and use FastPass, but I just think it might be a good idea to cut it until they've got ride capacity returned to a semi-normal state.

sleepyjeff
11-19-2003, 07:56 PM
How about this:

Kiosks in the front and around the park, like ATM's where you can insert your passport and imput the 4 or 5 attractions/shows you would most want to see and what time you were planning on eating, etc. Then an itinerary pops out with ride times about 9O apart, allowing time for strolling and going on smaller rides, and maybe a preferred seating reservation for lunch and/or dinner.

I would like a Fastpass Kiosk that would allow me to get Splash Mountain FPs without having to trek all the way over there only to find out they're sold out till 9pm.

I like this idea.....but better still, have the kiosks located inside DCA :eek:

iwannabeanimagineer
11-20-2003, 09:06 AM
How about this:

Fantastic ideas! You deserve a big greedy capitalist bonus from Disney this year! ;)

Originally posted by EandCDad
I don't see Fast Pass as eliteist. It's available to anyone who can read.

I'm not sure if crowded walkways is such the tragedy it's being made out to be lately. Sure, I prefer that it be less crowded, but if the reason for dumping Fastpass is that it's less crowded on Main Street, count me out.
Well put.

Originally posted by CoasterMatt
Don't get me wrong, I like, and use FastPass, but I just think it might be a good idea to cut it until they've got ride capacity returned to a semi-normal state.
I don't buy the idea that increasing queue lengths enhances the guest experience, so I don't agree with the idea to can FP until more E-tickets come back online. I think the guests that use FP would feel cheated if it were removed and the guests that don't use it wouldn't notice if it were removed.

hazlnut
11-20-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by iwannabeanimagineer
Fantastic ideas! You deserve a big greedy capitalist bonus from Disney this year! ;)

I'm not sure what the means. My notion of having FP kiosks throughout the park would be a free service, as is the current FP service.

Walt wanted a place that parents could enjoy with their kids. It's not fun waiting in long lines with a toddler (or even a 9-year-old). FP is a great idea that can be improved upon in the years to come. That's all I'm saying.

scaeagles
11-20-2003, 09:54 AM
For each person that finds FPs to be horrible, I would be willing to guess (and no, I don't have any data or polls or anything to base it on - it's simply a guess) that there are 25 people who love it. i love it.

It has drastically increased the enjoyment of my family at the park. We know we have a fastpass for something we want to ride later, so we don't stress on it. We see characters. We get FPs prior to leaving for a nap with our kids, and come back able to get right on a ride.

I think it is funny when some call the system elitist. I find it more elitist to say that FPs ruin the experience because the park seems too crowded. Wah and boo-hoo.

iwannabeanimagineer
11-20-2003, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure what the means. My notion of having FP kiosks throughout the park would be a free service, as is the current FP service.

Walt wanted a place that parents could enjoy with their kids. It's not fun waiting in long lines with a toddler (or even a 9-year-old). FP is a great idea that can be improved upon in the years to come. That's all I'm saying.
And I agree. The "bonus" remark was intended to be a compliment, but I may not have used the correct emoticon.:) :( :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :eek: :confused: :| :crying: :geek: :~D :fez:

iwannabeanimagineer
11-20-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by scaeagles
For each person that finds FPs to be horrible...
Who are these people? I have yet to meet one.

SacTown Chronic
11-20-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by iwannabeanimagineer
Who are these people? I have yet to meet one.

A better question might be "Do the people that profess to not liking fastpass ever use fastpass?"

merlinjones
11-20-2003, 10:57 AM
FastPass causes crowding and the kiosks are more ugly clutter to the once lovely Disneyland designscape.

Better to get rid of FastPass instead of the customers/AP's. You know they just want to charge for this service some day, don't you? Then it will be extremely elitist.

HBTiggerFan
11-20-2003, 11:02 AM
I use it all the time.

Another way to get rid of the crowded walkways would be to utilitize the full ques of all the rides. I was there on Sunday and the line for the Jungle Cruise extended out of the first floor que all the way to the shops across the way. If they opened the second floor the line would have been contained within the que building.

Bill Catherall
11-20-2003, 11:15 AM
In addition to HBTF's solution, open ALL restaurants, with better variety on the menus. With more people eating in the parks and filling up the restaurants there would be less walkway crowding. Currently it seems all the shuttered restaurants are just wasted space and with the lack of variety people are using the walkways to either eat at outdoor vending or leave the park for DTD.

MotorBoat Cruiser
11-20-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
You know they just want to charge for this service some day, don't you? Then it will be extremely elitist.

I agree that it would be elitist if they started charging for it. As it is though, I don't see it as elitist at all because everyone has an equal opportunity to have the same benefits. And quite honestly, it seems lately that there are few rides right now that it is even all that much of a benefit.

The last time I went we walked right on the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Indy. No Fastpass necessary. Really the only true benefit at the present time seems to be IASM holiday and Splash Mountain. Obviously it is about to get a lot busier as Christmas approaches.

It just seems like fastpass is the least of the problems at Disneyland and not worth removing if it is going to lower the happiness of the guests. I think you would see a flood of complaints if they took it away. And considering all the things there are to complain about right now, I doubt DL is willing to add something new to that list.

scaeagles
11-20-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Better to get rid of FastPass instead of the customers/AP's. You know they just want to charge for this service some day, don't you? Then it will be extremely elitist.

I doubt they will charge for this. You can't give it out free with admission and then expect the public to accept being charged for it. Talk about an uproar in the masses.

merlinjones
11-20-2003, 11:24 AM
>>I doubt they will charge for this. You can't give it out free with admission and then expect the public to accept being charged for it. Talk about an uproar in the masses.<<

I think that was the whole plan from day one (whether or not it is ever implemented). They get everyone hooked ont he system, then start charging a premium add on for the service. You are right, though - - that would lead to nothing but complaints.

the bigger issue is: Disneyland can be enjoyed and will survive without FastPass. Why bother with it? Talk about cost savings in personnel and maintenence. i'll bet that's a bigger chinck o=f change than the boost they get from extra would-be shoppers and snackers. Although I do think FP has been a boon for smaller attractions like Tiki Room, so I'd vote to keep it if it meant their survival and restoration... but since the powers that be still seem to want those rides closed anyway, it has no benefit in my POV.