PDA

View Full Version : Ghirardelli pop-up shop to open in Downtown Disney next week

AVP
10-29-2015, 10:56 AM
After Apricot Lane closed in Downtown Disney, the space was divided into two units, with Disney Vacation Club taking half of the space. It's long been rumored / expected that Starbucks would use the other space to open the second location announced for Downtown Disney, but there's been no visible progress on the space.

Today we learned that Ghirardelli will open a pop-up chocolate shop in that space. The shop opens next week, and will remain open into January. This is a chocolate shop only - not a soda fountain / ice cream outlet.

cstephens
10-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Disappointed that it's just going to be a chocolate shop. I guess an ice cream parlour would require more infrastructure to be put in. In any case, I hope they find something more interesting long term to put in there. They've struck out with everything else in that space so far.

bumblebeeonarose
10-30-2015, 07:05 AM
Now people can buy chocolate without going in the parks I guess. I wonder if they'll give out free squares too. The one in Las Vegas does.

cstephens
10-30-2015, 07:36 AM
But you can buy Ghirardelli chocolate almost anywhere nowadays. I was recently at the one in San Francisco, and I remember how excited I used to be to go there. I only made it back to the Bay Area every so often, but I'd always make sure to stop by, even if only for a few minutes, to buy some chocolates because you could only get them in so few places, and friends and co-workers loved it when I brought stuff back. This time, there wasn't anything there I couldn't get somewhere else so it was disappointing because it was so different than before. Maybe I'm just lucky that I have access to Ghirardelli rather easily.

candles71
10-30-2015, 07:58 AM
Like C, I buy my Ghiradelli chocolates elsewhere as I can coupon them and they are a lot cheaper that way.
I am picturing this shop being much like the See's shops that pop up all over, for the holidays..

3Princesses1Prince
10-30-2015, 09:34 AM
They were handing out free squares at my Costco in Tuesday.

AnotherJenny
10-30-2015, 10:12 AM
My guess is that this will be like the See's holiday pop-ups which have more of the holiday items than the more customizable stuff than the regular shops have year round. I hope the sell the individual squares by weight like they do in Hollywood. I can understand why they wouldn't sell ice cream. I wouldn't be happy if I were Haagen Dazs and another ice cream place opened a few doors down.