PDA

View Full Version : Was Soarin' Over California all that?

Pages : [1] 2

Ralph Wiggum
04-30-2001, 10:41 PM
I went to a Passholder Preview and waiting in line for 2 hours for Soarin' because i was told it was the best ride. Now, granted, it is a nice ride but i dont think it was anything to go yell and scream about. In fact my favorite part of the whole ride is when you are lifted up and dropped down at the start and finished of the ride(they should make something like that but on a longer track, but thats another topic). Annnnnnnnnnyways, I felt it tilt enough. What do you guys think?

P.S. Does anyone else only smell oranges when you are suppose to smell the pine or the salt water?

merlinjones
04-30-2001, 10:50 PM
Soarin' was very pleasant and enjoyable... but not what it could have been. The wait was slow, the film short, the surfers smelled like oranges, the compter animated TinkerBell was horrific and robotic, the dirt and fuzz looked like baseballs and there were bad splices or tears in the film when I saw it. That said, it was wonderfully floaty and breezy, felt like flying, sort of a deluxe CircleVision (Which I always liked). But for the signature park ride it seemed very D-Ticket.

Lani
04-30-2001, 10:51 PM
We went on Soarin' earlier today. We went into DCA at around 10:20 or so (they opened at 10am). There was maybe a 10-15 minute wait for Soarin', so we grabbed FASTPASSES for it, and headed off to Paradise Pier for a couple of turns on Screamin' (and yes, coaster-wimp me just got over it by simply whooping and hollering, and in fact, waited to sit in row 1 for the second go-'round). By the time we meandered back (after a rather tepid experience on the Golden Zephyr -- our first and only experience on that, probably), we walked right into Soarin'.

The ride is GREAT when there's not much of a wait (except when a nearby woman insists on having a loud conversation with her seat mates to discuss everything she sees on the screen).

Yes, I keep smelling oranges, too. Even when I know I'm supposed to be smelling pine, etc. I thought it was just my nose.

Ralph Wiggum
04-30-2001, 10:55 PM
Yes, I keep smelling oranges, too. Even when I know I'm supposed to be smelling pine, etc. I thought it was just my nose.

Thank god. I thought i was the only one!!

AK Wolf
05-01-2001, 03:16 AM
...the dirt and fuzz looked like baseballs...

Agreed! Something seriously needs to be done to correct this - I kept thinking they were birds or something...

It's sad when we're already finding things that need a bit of rehab in DCA...

Matterhorn Fan
05-01-2001, 04:26 AM
I haven't been to DCA yet, but I have a question about Soarin', regarding those orange smells they blow at you . . . Has anyone with bad allergies had any problem with this? I have family members that leave church early because of that woman three rows in front of you that wore just a tad too much perfume, and that notice every time I change deodorant brands. I understand Soarin's not that long of a ride, but has this aspect of it made anyone out there uncomfortable?

:o <------ allergic sneezing smilie

Rick
05-01-2001, 06:20 AM
Well when I went on it, I smelled it all correctly, but I thought that dust specks were hawks.

Tink
05-01-2001, 06:54 AM
I was fascinated and thrilled by the ride the first time that I went on it. I loved the lifting and floating feeling. The ride also made me appreciate just how beautiful California is - after you get past the high gas, electric and housing prices.
To really make the ride interesting they should have incorporated an earthquake! I probably would have tossed my cookies from motion sickness but boy that would have been exciting.
I was terribly distracted by those floating dust bunnies and the feet hanging just above my head, but most of the smells were in the right place, even the orange scented suntan lotion that the surfers wore - hee hee.
Unfortunately the second time I rode it some of the thrill had already worn off - heck it took at least 50 or so times for Star Tours to get old.

Joel
05-01-2001, 08:01 AM
My wife and I loved Soarin' Over California (WHY does DCA drop the final g's in every ride it can?)

We rode it twice. My wife rode it once more. We both thought the smells were most distinguished from one another when we were sitting on the "left side" of the ride (i.e., closest to the left side of the screen), and on the top row.

The pine smell was more subdued than others, but it was definitely pine.

Lani
05-01-2001, 09:19 AM
Rick noted: "Well when I went on it, I smelled it all correctly, but I thought that dust specks were hawks."

Well Rick , when I was on Soarin' yesterday, I saw a dust speck that for a moment looked just like a hidden Mickey!!! I must say, that was the most exciting dust speck I'd seen in a long while. :D

Lani
05-01-2001, 09:21 AM
Joel wondered: "WHY does DCA drop the final g's in every ride it can?"

Well darlin', dontcha know that's a California-thang? [Oh, I mean Cal'frnia-than'??]

Napsto
05-01-2001, 12:34 PM
funny you guys mention it but my friend went two weeks ago and she smelled pine the whole time. wierd??!!!

Disney Fan Matt
05-01-2001, 09:05 PM
If you ask me, dropping the G's on Soarin' and Screamin' probably saves money for disney. Come on, less letters on the signs and less ink to print the park maps with. :) \

As for soarin' I thought the ride was incredible the first time. The sensation of flying through the clouds and feeling like my feet were going to drag in the river water, feeling like I would nail the kayaker in the head with my dangling foot. What a ride! This was the first time I had been so floored by a ride in a very long time. I just had to say wow, and even clapped at the end of the ride. Something I never do, except on superstar limo, but I am only clapping because it is over. Soarin really hit the mark dead on. You have to take into account that it was the first of its kind, and there will be improvements for the next one. I can't wait.

HBTiggerFan
05-01-2001, 09:47 PM
I have some pretty bad allergies and had no sort of reaction to the ride. That said, my allergies are to dust, mold, pollen etc.... THAT being said, my best firend is very allergic to oranges and the sent that is used on there must not be real orange because it doesn't bother her (and an unpeeled orange does).

marla
Aka HB Tigger Fan

Matterhorn Fan
05-02-2001, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the feedback Marla. I was wondering if those scents may be similar, and cause similar reactions, to perfumes. I hope not.

HBTiggerFan
05-02-2001, 10:13 AM
Hi MatterhornFan:
I am sorry, I misunderstood your origional post. I have very strong sensetivity to perfumes (can't walk past the bath stores in the mall, asthma when my mom wears perfume), anyways the sents don't bother me at all in the movie. They are very subtle.

Marla
AKA HB Tigger Fan

Matterhorn Fan
05-02-2001, 11:23 AM
Marla: Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know. It's good news, too. :D

MKY4ME
05-03-2001, 04:44 AM
Enjoy the ride--allergies should not be a problem. I have very sensitive, perfume smelling nose too and the ride was awesome--no worries!:cool:

Napsto
07-19-2001, 05:25 PM
i stilll love that ride.

Ralph Wiggum
07-19-2001, 05:37 PM
I still think its okay;)

Hades
07-19-2001, 05:42 PM
If you ask me, dropping the G's on Soarin' and Screamin' probably saves money for disney. Come on, less letters on the signs and less ink to print the park maps with. \

And I thought it was because that writer for the Clinton administration was hired by DCA and he brought his computer with him from Washington! I hear he is still missing a few letters from his keyboard and is still repainting the "w's" for the other missing keys!:D

Hades
07-19-2001, 06:01 PM
Well, if you want my 2001 cents worth, I still consider this may favorite ride in DCA. Never mind that one of the small figures in the Christmas at Disneyland scene's is me and my best friend looking up at the low flying helecopter from the castle! It was filmed during the Cast Member Christmas party. If you look closely at the begining of the fly by, you will still see the old ticket booths at the main entrance!

I kept joking to her "I love the smell of cotton candy in the evening" in a very cheesy Brando imitation! I can't remember how many times they had the helecopter do that low level fly by to get the shot right.;)

Another reason I love the ride is the flyover of the Anza-Borrego desert. I and my brother are very familiar with this area because we go out there for the Tierra del Sol 4WD rallies there at that exact location!

I'm sure that this scene will hold great personal interest for him because the hills in the distance near the dry wash are the area where his best friend Harold's ashes were spread. For this reason alone, I believe that my brother will hold a special place in his heart for this ride as well. At the time of this post, I haven't had the chance to take by brother into DCA to ride on Soarin', but rest assured that it will be the first attraction I will take him on.

Whoa, got a little emotional there. I have very good memories tied into this attraction, I guess. :)

Napsto
07-19-2001, 06:14 PM
so you cms knew what was oging on when they wehre making it. tha tis tight.

CTB21
07-19-2001, 06:16 PM
The first time we rode the Rocket Rods we waited two hours and hated the ride, the next time we waited five minutes and loved it, the same is true for Soarin no way is it worth a two hour wait but if you can walk right on I would go again and again.

Napsto
07-19-2001, 07:02 PM
the shorter the \wait for a good ride, the more you love it!