PDA

View Full Version : Hungry Bear Restaurant - a nice respite

cstephens
10-27-2015, 05:10 PM
We were at the resort with a group of friends on Saturday, and for some reason, Disneyland was PACKED in the afternoon and evening. We didn't have a dinner reservation anywhere so were trying to figure out where to eat, given the busy evening. I suggested Hungry Bear Restaurant as I hadn't been there in a while and I thought with all the seating area, there might be a chance we could scrounge together enough tables for our group of 10. It seemed like that might be hard to do at French Market or any of the other nearby eating locations. A couple of us went upstairs and to the back to scope out whether we'd have to hold down tables while the others ordered, but there were a fair number of tables back there. Some of us got in line at Hungry Bear, and others in our group had gone elsewhere to get their food and were going to bring it back and come sit with us to eat.

We ended up sitting towards the back of the restaurant, which is actually kind of dark. There are some lanterns back there, but they're not very bright, and since all of the umbrellas were up probably for use as shade earlier in the day, some of the lanterns were even blocked. There are seating areas less further back that have some light. The tables are pretty small, round ones, so our group spread out to about four tables, but there were still plenty of tables left. Our other friends eventually joined us after they got their food.

I had gotten the cheeseburger with slaw and a side of onion rings and a drink. The cheeseburger was fine - they actually had leaf lettuce instead of shredded lettuce, so that made me happy. The onion rings were quite tasty and crunchy. The slaw was ok, not as flavorful as I would have liked. They had a special - pulled pork hot dog - that the husband got, and he seemed to like it.

Other than it being a bit dark back there, it was nice to have some time away from the crowds to enjoy our dinner. The friends who got food elsewhere probably had a bit more of an ordeal fighting through the crowds to get to our seating area. But with the busy holiday months coming, if you're ok with the menu items at Hungry Bear or don't mind getting food from elsewhere, it's some place you might want to consider because of all the seating area. Of course, inclement weather would put a damper on that area as a dining location.

tea4two
10-27-2015, 07:24 PM
Was the pulled pork hot dog very spicy? I saw a photo that showed jalapeno slices sprinkled on the top, so I wasn't sure if the spicy factor could be picked off or if it was a flavor throughout.

cstephens
10-28-2015, 12:22 AM
Was the pulled pork hot dog very spicy? I saw a photo that showed jalapeno slices sprinkled on the top, so I wasn't sure if the spicy factor could be picked off or if it was a flavor throughout.

I think the jalapenos were just on top. The husband is not a fan of jalapenos, so he took them off and gave them to me.

jrsharp21
10-28-2015, 06:14 AM
Love the Hungry Bear Restaurant seating on the lower level towards the back (only bad part is that it's in front of a family restroom). When we were there this past July, we managed to grab two tables in the shade and just hung out for an hour eating and just enjoying the break from storming the park. The ducks provided for some good entertainment for the kids. I enjoyed watching the Mark Twain and canoes floating by. It would have been a nice place for a nap. LOL.

D15
10-28-2015, 08:30 AM

We also had several in our party order the special hot dog but customize it various ways- including one without the jalapenos, and one even got just the plain ol' hot dog with nothing else. They were awesome and very accomodating!

Goodnplenty
10-28-2015, 09:30 AM
DH and I know we are really at DL when we eat at HBR. After checking in at the hotel we go straight to DL back in the back to HBR. And we get seats on the top level in the back where you were sitting. We can feel all our troubles melt away as our brains slide into the Disney Zone! We love that restaurant!

tlovesdis
10-28-2015, 10:16 AM
I used to love Hungry Bear until they took away the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich and the Lemon Bumblebee Cupcake :(

olegc
10-28-2015, 10:27 AM
nice report. Good to know some choices in crowded conditions - though for me there are times when I can't tell when HB closes so tough to make that walk and get nothing out of it. Thanks.

GusMan
10-28-2015, 10:47 AM
We ate there on Saturday as well... right as it opened at Lunch time. Thought the food was rather good.

And yes, it was really crowded on Saturday!

Lani
10-28-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the review!

...I do miss those fried green tomato sandwiches.

Toocherie
10-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Another person mourning the fried green tomato sandwich.

candles71
10-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Another person mourning the fried green tomato sandwich. +2 (me and bff)

Tinker44
10-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Losing the lemon bumblebee cupcake makes me sad... that was the first dessert I allowed myself to really indulge in (I'm not much for sweets) and it was heavenly! But I agree, the HBR is a fantastic "hideaway" in the back (lower level), the water and the ducks just make it so peaceful. I also love that people on the Twain usually wave! So cool!

bumblebeeonarose
10-29-2015, 09:19 AM
Sad they removed that sandwich too. It was one of the better CS vegetarian options.

amazedncal
10-29-2015, 05:44 PM
Thank you for the reminder about HBR :) We were also there on Saturday. After spending most of the day at a somewhat busy DCA we decided to go to DL around 5 and WHOA was it packed!! We chose Rancho for dinner and have honestly never seen it so busy.

josephfive
11-02-2015, 06:49 AM
Went there yesterday. It was super crowded but it felt calm and away from the crowds.

DH and DD grabbed food from Harbour Galley and met us there.

tea4two
11-05-2015, 06:47 PM
The Fried Green Tomato Sandwich has been spotted on the menu at Cafe Orleans. But no lemon cupcake.

jcruise86
11-09-2015, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the report, CtStephens!

The Hungry Bear and the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ restaurants are two places where we can "get away from the crowds" even on crowded days. I hope the view of the river from the Hungry Bear isn't totally destroyed by the Star Wars land, and I hope it doesn't ruin the lives of a bunch of Disneyland's cats. I've spotted more at the Hungry Bear than anywhere else at the Disneyland Resort.

olegc
11-30-2015, 01:43 PM
For those that care - the FGT sandwich is now available at Cafe Orleans. according to a tweet from @DisneylandToday

olegc
11-30-2015, 01:44 PM
For those that care - the FGT sandwich is now available at Cafe Orleans. according to a tweet from @DisneylandToday

ugh - totally did not see that tea4two posted that as well. So its a repeat. Sorry. I hear there is a price increase too.

candles71
11-30-2015, 02:16 PM
ugh - totally did not see that tea4two posted that as well. So its a repeat. Sorry. I hear there is a price increase too.
That is listed above as well. ;)