PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Magic Band technology being tested at DL today

Pages : [1] 2

jrsharp21
10-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Some Twitter accounts are showing pictures that a MagicBand/FP+ type scanner being used today at Space Mountain for Fast Passes. Guests are being asked to scan their fast passes (the bar code on the bottom) when using them on their return. it looks like it is a generic version of the FP+ return scanners at WDW.

candles71
10-19-2015, 03:04 PM
They loaded our re--admit passes to my AP, in August, with one of those. I believe they use it for the Handicap assistance pass now as well.

Gone2Disneyland
10-19-2015, 03:29 PM
They loaded our re--admit passes to my AP, in August, with one of those. I believe they use it for the Handicap assistance pass now as well.

I think this is different than what you experienced. There's a video at this link that shows the procedure that was done at Space Mt today. It's very much like how MagicBands are scanned at WDW, complete with green "GO" lights.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2015/10/disneyland-begins-first-magicband-tests-borrowing-tech-from-walt-disney-world-for-possible-eventual-rollout/

corona
10-19-2015, 04:14 PM
nope
RFID and optical scanning are completely distinct technologies.
One works with magic hancuf ... er, bands, the other with bar codes.

3Princesses1Prince
10-19-2015, 04:21 PM
nope

I agree. The direction of the fast pass bar code wouldn't matter if this was RFID like magic bands.

currence
10-19-2015, 04:33 PM
This does look like it's Magic Band Technology - even if the CA version is currently using barcodes rather than chips. I could easily see them rolling out a version that allows EITHER RFID chips (aka Magic Bands or similar) OR barcodes/QR Codes (Photopass codes from the APs?) depending on what the guest is using to make their reservation/return time.

It it probably a lot less expensive to program a machine to accept either a scan or an RFID than it is to add a chip to an entire roll of paper tickets (would they even fit in the dispenser at that point?)

candles71
10-19-2015, 04:35 PM
Interesting, how do they kkeep people from linejumping once on the roof?

currence
10-19-2015, 05:20 PM
At WDW, they have two checkpoints. The first lets you enter the Fastpass line, and the second is at the merge point. That's basically what they have always done at DL also. I assume that this is still what they are doing here, with a technology assisted check to start and then physical collection at the merge point.

Gone2Disneyland
10-19-2015, 05:21 PM
nope

I agree. The direction of the fast pass bar code wouldn't matter if this was RFID like magic bands.

I wasn't necessarily referring to the specific technology, just the manner in which guests must have something to scan as they enter the queue and then a green light indicates they can pass.

sjhanksaz
10-20-2015, 06:40 AM
I think this is different than what you experienced. There's a video at this link that shows the procedure that was done at Space Mt today. It's very much like how MagicBands are scanned at WDW, complete with green "GO" lights.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2015/10/disneyland-begins-first-magicband-tests-borrowing-tech-from-walt-disney-world-for-possible-eventual-rollout/

That noise brings back some memories

olegc
10-20-2015, 09:36 AM
there were a few other twitter bloggers emphatically denying this was a Magic Band test. Just a fastpass return test. so if the tech is kind of the same (from the video) - is there really any difference down the road for implementing MB? The link to the video in the thread did add an update that the tech was to read barcodes - which is different than RFID magic bands. Most guests, though, will oversimplify it and say "oh look, magic bands are here". What this really does down the road? possibly eliminate a cast member having to decide to let someone in or not. They just point to the machine and say "its red - you can't get in".

currence
10-20-2015, 10:11 AM
I don't see any reason why Disney couldn't - if they wanted to - bring a hybrid system to CA where multi-day ticket holders, hotel guests, elite AP holders, etc could make reservations in advance via Fastpass+ using RFID chipped tickets or Magic Bands and one-day ticket holders or lower level APs, etc still had traditional same-day Fastpasses available. These machines seem like they could be a step in that direction. They already know how Magic Bands work in FL, so they wouldn't need to test that aspect in CA (yet).

olegc
10-20-2015, 10:19 AM
You still have to test process (people, staff, steps,etc) as well as tech.

Goodnplenty
10-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Wow, I wish I could be one of the testers. I'm staying at GC the 1st week of November and I'm an Orlando WDW native. I actually got 1 of the first rounds of MB's. Is there any way to sign up for this?

GnP

corona
10-21-2015, 04:36 AM

I don't expect everyone to have a computer science degree, but do you really need one to understand how different the systems at DLR and WDW are?

To get a really cheap thrill, buy a packet of gum and use one of the self-checkout machines at a grocery store.

Or, if you're really into the technology that other place uses, get an Exxon/Mobil Speedpass.

Drince88
10-21-2015, 06:34 AM
Is there any way to sign up for this?

GnP

Right now they're just testing bar code reading of FP paper tickets at Space Mountain, so just get a FP for Space!

Goodnplenty
10-22-2015, 05:09 AM
Right now they're just testing bar code reading of FP paper tickets at Space Mountain, so just get a FP for Space!

Ah I see. I was thinking that there might be a beta test deal to volunteer for where you could reserve a FP time using your account via your cellphone. I didn't realize that it was a paper ticket thing. I was jumping way ahead and thought it was the online system. I really enjoy the FP+ here and thought that I could be useful.

Please forgive me for the mixup.
GnP

Nightwing
10-22-2015, 07:50 AM
The Barcode test makes sense now... In light of the App that has your AP and tickets as a bar code that you can uses to go through the turn style but only that right now.

Nightwing
10-22-2015, 07:52 AM
Ah I see. I was thinking that there might be a beta test deal to volunteer for where you could reserve a FP time using your account via your cellphone. I didn't realize that it was a paper ticket thing. I was jumping way ahead and thought it was the online system. I really enjoy the FP+ here and thought that I could be useful.

Please forgive me for the mixup.
GnP

I thinks something is coming. They did say M+ is coming but adjusted for DLR area.

Goodnplenty
10-23-2015, 05:55 AM
I thinks something is coming. They did say M+ is coming but adjusted for DLR area.

Thank you for sharing that!
GnP :)

olegc
10-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Reportedly today they are testing RFID fastpasses (I saw a pic on @dlthings on twitter)

sjhanksaz
10-23-2015, 12:53 PM
reportedly today they are testing rfid fastpasses (i saw a pic on @dlthings on twitter)

rfid = ???

olegc
10-23-2015, 01:40 PM
RFID is a close proximity information exchange technology. Similar to toll road switches, etc. Used in n magic bands (I believe). Not bar codes like supermarkets or the first tests for space mountain that went on yesterday (or Wed). These were also for Space Mountain.

Gone2Disneyland
10-23-2015, 04:47 PM
I was at Space Mountain this morning, and they actually delayed the opening of it. There was a solid line of CMs across the entrance, and one of them told us there was some project being worked on this morning and they had no idea when it would be completed. But it would open later. Well, about an hour later, I found it open for business, and when I went to get Fastpasses, there were no RFID chips embedded in the paper FPs. There were also no more scanners, so I think they completed their testing I guess yesterday.

Here's a picture I saw on Instagram showing the RFID tech inside the Space Mt fastpass.

https://instagram.com/p/9JgMhCM-Hi/

stan4d_steph
10-24-2015, 02:09 PM
rfid = ???

Radio frequency identification (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+rfid)