PDA

View Full Version : Your Guest Relations Experiences

DJ_MENTOS
11-18-2003, 12:21 PM
Many of us have gone to City Hall/Guest Relations for one reason or another, or maybe spoke to the manager at a restaurant or attraction. My question is, what benefits have you received. Hopefully you had a valid reason for complaint, but what benefits have you received.

For example, one time we were at Redd Rockets, and it took an extremely long amount of time for us to get our food and the service just was not up to par. Well, we mentioned it to the manager, not expecting anything, but just to let her know. Well, turns out she paid for our whole meal (we had a group of 6) and gave us 3 front of the line tickets/passes to other rides. Obviously we were thrilled.

I am not suggesting creating a complaint out of nothing to get benefits. (I.e. the paint is chipped on that ride, I want my money back) But with valid complaints, what have you received from guest relations?

mad4mky
11-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by DJ_MENTOS
Well, turns out she paid for our whole meal (we had a group of 6) and gave us 3 tickets to other rides. Obviously we were thrilled.

Why would you get 3 tickets for rides...when you don't need tickets to go on rides at DLR?
Your entrance fee, enables you to go on all the rides...all day/night long...without a ticket.

Do you mean she gave you some 'Fastpasses'?

Fastpasses are different from 'tickets' :|

DJ_MENTOS
11-18-2003, 12:45 PM
So nit-picky! :rolleyes: Oh well, I edited the 1st post to reflect that we received front-of-the-line passes/tickets.

Forbin
11-18-2003, 01:14 PM
I once complained about someone wearing something not appropriate for D/L (Umm...lets say the girls on the shirt had good plastic surgery) and after listening to my complaint I got a free Pin.

I didn't complain for the pin, but it was nice to get one.

hbquikcomjamesl
11-18-2003, 01:25 PM
I don't recall ever so much as once going to Guest Relations with a complaint. I have, however, gone to them with compliments. Like the time the Soarin' CMs did everything possible, including backdooring me back into the place, to help me recover an umbrella I'd left in an underseat basket. And the Blue Bayou CMs who took my reservation after they were officially closed, after explained that I'd been held up in traffic during and after the fireworks.

Generally when I complain, I do it by mail. Like when I chided management for abandoning the backstage tour program after only a week or so (then claiming it was an experiment, despite the amount of printed material the tour department had developed for the tour, and despite the rumor, heard directly from the tour guide, that wardrobe was working on a backstage tour costume). I got a letter back from them, telling me, in essence, to expect a sort of quasi-backstage tour to debut within a year. It turned out to be the "Walt's Footsteps" tour. And in 1996, I wrote to management, urging them to keep their options open with the MSEP. It's still with us, albeit in a different park, and missing its Pinocchio unit.

mad4mky
11-18-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by DJ_MENTOS
So nit-picky! :rolleyes: Oh well, I edited the 1st post to reflect that we received front-of-the-line passes/tickets.

It may be 'nit-picky' as you say...

But if a new MP'er comes on board...and decides to take their first trip ever to DLR...they might wonder..."hey...we have to buy ride tickets?? Wow...just like back in the '60's and '70's!!!". For many of us, that wasn't too long ago! :rolleyes: :D :eek: As we DO remember the days of buying ticket books...and that wonderful "E" Ticket! :D

Niwel
11-18-2003, 03:34 PM
I was on the Holiday tour the night of the "ashes incident" at Haunted Mansion Holiday. It was our second attempt to go on the attraction and we all had paid a good deal of money to do so. The tour guide gave everyone a special FP to be used anywhere in either park and said we could go or hang around and wait to see if it would open. I stayed with a few people and it never did open, so the TG gave out a second special FP (that didn't expire) and offered to walk us to the front of any attraction we wanted -- I chose Big Thunder. This was last December, and last week I used my second FP to get to the front of Matterhorn :)

BJW
11-18-2003, 11:38 PM
In general, I have had more negative experiences with guest relations than good. I have actually had CMs shout at me before. This last time I complained because of too many downtimes of non-rehab attractions and got some FPs to use anytime during my trip. One time CMs extened an offer guest communications gave me in an e-mail because of the misleading wording, but they did it very angrily. My advice, don't let them know you're an AP if you can help it, you'll avoid getting chewed out. I've had a few guest relations CMs that were very nice, however. The time I was injured on an attraction they were very nice and handled the situation like I would expect. (Of course I told them right off the bat I had no intention to sue them or follow through with it, so that might have made a difference :D ) They're always good about giving my grandmother SAPs. Some of them have been very pleasant when answering hotel questions, rehab questions, and other general questions about the parks. There's just one thing I can't figure out: they never let you fill out a complaint form. How do I get my hands on one of those forms? I'm not much of a fan of oral complaints because you never know if they're passed on or not.

cryan71
11-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Stop complaining people. You are only stirring the pot. Why can't you ignore and avoid the problems. So what, if a person's hair is in cornrows. How does that effect you? Who said it was any of your business to complain. Complaining is just causing trouble and its dangerous. If a ride is down, go to another ride or find a store to shop in. And please stop looking for freebies because you complained. And stop bugging the Guest Relations CM's-- they are there for the real complaints.

:rolleyes:

tod
11-19-2003, 09:50 AM
The Lovely Mrs. tod and I were in line at the Gibson Girl for the first eggnog ice cream of the season. (She had been looking for that placard to go up for two weeks.) The line was lengthy, stretching through all three switchbacks and extending to the Blue Ribbon Bakery. We were chatting with the people in front of us when a CM announced that they had the same flavors at the Ice Cream Cone shop across the street, and they had no line over there.

A few -- not many -- people broke the line, and we led a couple of parties over there ourselves. (When they asked "Where is that?" we replied "Follow us.") There was a line at the Cone Shop, but it was much shorter, and we got to the front of the line in a few minutes, where we found out that they did not have eggnog or peppermint ice cream.

Disappointed, we went back to the Gibson Girl, where we saw the people who were in front of us at the front of the line. I walked over to one of the cashiers and asked, "Is there a lead around?" (NOTE: Use of Disneyland jargon. "Lead" (rhymes with "freed") is a supervisor-type.)

She snapped to at once. "I can get him," she said, and went to the back room.

She came back a minute or so later with a tall twentyish man in civilian clothes and a name tag.

"Are you the lead?" I asked.

"I'm Chris," he said, redundantly, what that it said so on his name tag. "I'm one of the managers here on Main Street. How can I help you?"

I described what happened.

"We do have a problem: We didn't get delivered on the eggnog ice cream, so I can see why they told you they didn't have it. But he shouldn't have done that. What did he look like?" Chris asked.

I described the cast member.

"Okay, I'll talk to him." Big smile. "What were you going to order?"

The Lovely Mrs. tod said that seeing as they didn't have eggnog, she wanted peppermint in a cone.

"Have you tried the peppermint cones? They're very good. I just had one myself the other day. Chocolate and peppermint bits."

"I'll try that," she said.

He turned to me. "And you, sir?"

I really hadn't intended to order. Quick, think of something. "Fantasia, in a cup."

"Single or double scoop?"

"Make it a double."

"Just a moment." He headed back to the counter, talked to one of the scoopers. A minute or so later, he was back with a peppermint cone and a cup of Fantasia.

I reached for my wallet. "What do I owe you?"

Another big smile. "You don't owe me anything. Come back and see us again sometime."

I was impressed. And I said so on a compliment form at City Hall.

I had a problem, it was fixed at once, and I felt good about it. Guest Relations don't get much better than that.

--T
:fez:

Andrew
11-19-2003, 09:56 AM
Tod, that's exactly the kind of story I like to read about. You might consider sending it to Shana for her Guest Experiences (http://www.mouseplanet.com/kevin/cp031119sl.htm) series.

DJ_MENTOS
11-19-2003, 11:10 AM
Thanks for sharing that experience Tod. Those are the kind of experiences I was aiming to get.

Demigod121
11-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by cryan71
Stop complaining people. You are only stirring the pot. Why can't you ignore and avoid the problems.

And please stop looking for freebies because you complained. And stop bugging the Guest Relations CM's-- they are there for the real complaints.

:rolleyes:

Because avoiding or ignoring the "problem" doesnt SOLVE the problem. If it is a legitimate concern (that can be subjective, however) then you have the right to voice said concern to the management or any customer relation department.

And don't just say that people who are complaining are just looking for freebies - that's not true. It doesn't matter what YOU think about their problem - it's a problem to THEM, and they have just as much a right to be heard as you.

Would YOU like it if you complained to a CM and they ignored and/or avoided you? Didn't think so.

-Demigod

hefferdude
11-19-2003, 12:16 PM
Two instances of GR going the extra mile;

We brought a guest to DL and purchased a 3 for 5 ticket for her.
A family situation came up that did not allow her to use the final two days ( they're a miltary family ). About a month later we offered to bring her again to DL and just on a whim I called ticketing to ask about the remaining two days ( it was well past the 14 day limit ). They took my name and said to mention it at the GR window when we got to DL. We did and they gave her the last two days!!! OBTW - we turned it into a So Cal so she would come back and visit us again!

Not really a GR - maybe a CM story - We were leaving DL 1/2 hour after closing, my 6 year old clutching his new Davey Crocket rifle. Just as we stepped outside the gates, the hammer plate just fell off! I walked back to the gate and asked if I could talk the the shop right at the right exit.
I explained to the CM/Gate Lead (?) about the broken toy. He took it and said "be right back". I swear he was back in two minutes with a brand new toy. That was Disney Magic!

sleepyjeff
11-19-2003, 09:24 PM
The only time my family and I have had a good experience with a Disney CM is when we have not had an outstanding experience with a Disney CM. They are usualy very helpful, and if not helpful, at least friendly.

What I like most about interacting with a CM is they seem genuinely happy to answer my questions--even though they must get the same question two dozen times an hour. Keep up the good work, and I ll keep coming back:)

Daveylegs
11-21-2003, 06:08 AM
My experience was in WDW not, DL. I rode the Dinosour ride and my sunglasses must have fallen out of my pocket during the ride. I told a CM at the ride exit. He had me fill out a form with my name and address and a description of the glasses. About a week later I received my glasses in the mail! That is REALLY going the extra mile!

DrIndianaJones
11-21-2003, 07:49 AM
I have too many good stories. I will mentally sort through them and write them down.