PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn Spiel

Pages : [1] 2

LightGuy20
11-18-2003, 01:41 AM
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for some opinions on the new English version of the Matterhorn spiel. (new since the last rehab). One of my friends did the voice for it, and was disappointed that none of the Disneyland fan sites seemed to even mention it. (I know everyone was wrapped up in the whole Spanish safety spiel controversy.)

I had promised him when he was recording it that I was sure there would be at least a few comments about his new version. However, that was right after the whole new BTMM spiel which was pretty bad. I guess the Matterhorn didn't change too much, so there wasn't very much uproar.

Anyhow, if anyone has any comments or opinions on the kinda german/swill accented version of the spiel that plays now, please post them. I know someone must have some thoughts.

-Cory

Germboy
11-18-2003, 01:55 AM
Hm...I'll have to notice the next time I'm there...

I think as long as they keep Jack Wagner's permanecer sentados spiel, I'll be content. Wish they could have kept the rest but I understand that things have to change...sigh

Werner
01-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Just heard it yesterday. I thought it was OK, although I did Jack and the polka music. But it's neat to have the German/Swiss accent to complement the theme. Only thing is I couldn't hear it very well. Could've been a little louder. Actually that brings up something else -- I noticed several places where the sound was bad -- the JC skipper was almost eating the microphone and although he had some funny lines, they were mostly unintelligible. Then on the Storybook Land Canal Boats, our guide was letting the words go way too fast without enough diction and didn't speak up enough. Need some vocal coaching it would seem. And another thing -- I hate all the new Fantasyland spiels. They're too loud and interrupt the experience. It's disappointing that people have to be told to not do something that would hurt themselves. Well sure they've had signs and such and of course on the coasters there's the "howdy folks...." and "attention boblsled riders...." and all of that, but come on! And the way the announcements are cycled continuously with no break. And so loud! Give me a break! OK I feel better now.

Cadaverous Pallor
01-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Well, since you mentioned that the guy doing the spiel is your friend, I'm sure some may feel that it would be impolite to criticize it.

I, however, make it a point to be brutally honest. :)

I personally do not like the new spiel at Matterhorn. My apologies to your friend but I thought the accent was not that great - it sounds barely British, never mind Swiss/German. Sorry! :(

And now I'll be that no one will back me up for fear of looking bad.....and I'll look like the bad one. Oh well.

innerSpaceman
01-26-2004, 04:52 PM
Don't worry, CP, I've so got your back.

Sorry to say so about someone's friend, but I loathe the new Matterhorn spiels. It would be very hard, in any event, to fill Jack Wagner's shoes, but the new spiels are ... well, the word I always use about them is "retarded."

I will admit a certain affinity for the Swiss/German spiel, since the "Aufwiderseine" always cracks us up if we are (un)lucky enough to hear it from our bobsled.

Not Afraid
01-26-2004, 04:57 PM
Having German/Swiss inlaws, I agree with CP about it sounding "British". To my ears, Hans and Franz did a better German accent, but I have been listening to my Krauts for 20 years. To others, it probably sounds just fine.

PapiBear
01-26-2004, 06:23 PM
They should get Governor Arnold to do the spiel.

"Ja, dis iss da Matterhorn, ya gonna be goingk up and daaaown da big Sviss mountain and srue da caverns and, and oh look! look! dere's da Abominabubble Snowmann, look, he has beeg fangs and he's gonna try and svipe hiss big claws atchoo. Oh. Don't fuhget. Keep ya hands and ya ahms inside da bobsled at all times, and remain seated until da bobsled has come to a gumpleat stop. Den you can go fissit my favorite Disney pahk - Disney's Culleforneyah Adfentcha!"

Cadaverous Pallor
01-26-2004, 06:41 PM
OMG PapiBear, you got me to laugh out loud at work! Priceless!! :D

Photographer
01-27-2004, 07:10 AM
PapiBear made me snort!! :eek: :D

UncleGDogWord
01-27-2004, 08:26 AM
You can not even hear the music anymore let along the speil.

Anyway as my signature states:

Cadaverous Pallor
01-27-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by UncleGDogWord
Anyway as my signature states: Psst. It's "Permanecer". :D

UncleGDogWord
01-27-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
Psst. It's "Permanecer". :D

Someone needs to tell Disney that, because I got the phase from them.

Cadaverous Pallor
01-27-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by UncleGDogWord
Someone needs to tell Disney that, because I got the phase from them. Where did you see it spelled that way?

Germboy
01-27-2004, 01:51 PM
Are you guys aware that you are both writing "permanecer"? (Which is correct, by the way. I got my BA in Spanish) I don't know what the back and forth is about. :confused:

Morrigoon
01-27-2004, 02:01 PM
The main thing I've noticed is that when I'm sitting in my Bobsled, the voiceover is almost invariably going on at me in Spanish.

Lightguy: I'm sorry to say this about your friend, but I'm not nuts about the new voiceover. I really am sorry to say so.

TP2000
01-27-2004, 04:15 PM
I can never hear the english version of that spiel. It's turned down too low or something. I've heard the spanish version though, but it's all just gibberish to me since I don't speak that language.

You should tell your friend to ask Disney to turn up the volume for the english version. I can't really understand what he's saying. That's probably part of the reason why no one has commented on it, as it's not very noticeable.

At the end of the ride I hear the classic "Remain Seated Please, Permenecer Sentados Por Favor". I LOVE that part! I hope they never get rid of it!

Cadaverous Pallor
01-27-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Germboy
Are you guys aware that you are both writing "permanecer"? (Which is correct, by the way. I got my BA in Spanish) I don't know what the back and forth is about. :confused: UncleGDog changed his sig line. It was spelled incorrectly before.

Germboy
01-27-2004, 08:06 PM
oh. oops

PapiBear
01-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
OMG PapiBear, you got me to laugh out loud at work! Priceless!! :D

:fez: That was the whole point! And I see my comment is now a part of your signature - I'm honored!

leaf
01-28-2004, 08:55 PM
No offense to Lightguy or the guy who recorded it, but I too prefer the old spiel. The accent just doesn't sound quite right. And long live the old Disneyland Railroad spiel by Lawrence Dilley--

disneydreams
01-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by TP2000
At the end of the ride I hear the classic "Remain Seated Please, Permenecer Sentados Por Favor". I LOVE that part! I hope they never get rid of it!

Me too! me too!!! :D

I've yet to listen to the spiel before I make any judgment...which is gonna be a while...

PapiBear: LOL!

smd4
01-29-2004, 08:37 AM
And long live the old Disneyland Railroad spiel by Lawrence Dilley-- Lawrence Dilley???

Cadaverous Pallor
01-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by PapiBear
And I see my comment is now a part of your signature - I'm honored! The honor is all mine, sir. :cool:

Germboy
01-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by smd4
Lawrence Dilley???

I was wondering the same thing.

PapiBear
01-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Governor Arnold's Spanish Matterhorn spiel attempt: "Puhmahnaysehr sentaaahdohss, poh favohh. In udda vurds, sit ya aahss daaaown!"