PDA

View Full Version : New Aladdin Show What do you think

Forbin
11-17-2003, 08:28 PM
As a AP for the last 2 years, I got to see this show from almost the beginning ( I was NOT going to stand in a 2 hour line in the beginning...hehe) and I am sorta disappointed with the cast changes.

Anyone have the info on why the cast changed so dramatically?

On Monday my wife and I went to see the show (My wife has never seen it even though she has an AP also) after the show was on a 2 week Hiatus.

As far as I see, I didn't recognize many of the cast, Aladdin, Jasmine, The Genie, Jaffar, The Carpet, even Iago. Heck the 2 people I did recognize were the Sultan and the Special Assistance Employee. (And it's real hard to replace her and no one not notice :) ) And before you say 'They have stand'ins' I didn't even see them either. (Ex: The Secondary Aladdin is about 4 inches taller and the Primary Jasmine didn't seem to like him all that much, and Primary Genie is fat and Secondary is wire thin)

The following is in spolier mode in case you haven't seen the show yet. I do not like to give it away.
I DID enjoy that they finally fixed the lower flying carpet, I haven't seen that work in over 6 months.

Most of the cast missed quite a few cues and looked like they haven't rehearsed enough, and the Genie was really straining to get a few extra laughs. 5 Different Jaffar jokes at the same time. (You who have seen it know where this is)

Even the sound people seem to be having issues, there was one point where Iago was talking and his mic wasn't even working. Boy that guy has good projection.

Can someone enlighten me? I really enjoy this show but the new cast really let me down.

But now to the good parts, they fixed many broken things about the show (Lights and stuff), hehe and it's obvious the new Aladdin and Jasmine get along well, and the new cast can sing too...I was just used to the original cast.

RandomCM
11-18-2003, 12:25 AM
The reason they ahve a new cast who aren't as well oiled as the other is becasue the contract was UP for the first cast. So, they got a new cast. Brand new cast, they are still in their learning stages I am sure. Give them time, the first group wasn't so hot at the begining of their first run eaither ... remember?? Soon, they will make it their own as well.

Forbin
11-18-2003, 09:59 AM
I'm surprised that the primary's didn't sign up for anothe tour...or is it that they are heading to Florida...hehe I did read that they are making a Hyperion Theater there too.

DJ_MENTOS
11-18-2003, 10:42 AM
Well, as RandomCM stated, the contracts were up for a lot of the cast. The main genie, Nick Santa Maria, was hired by The Producers. I'm not sure where the rest of the cast left to. It would make sense that the new cast is not flowing yet. The new cast only had 2 full weeks to rehearse. But just like the first cast, they will smooth everything out.....in time. I hope to go on Saturday or Monday to see the new changes, and to see the new, if any, material from the genie. I hear that one of the genies is from an improv background.

Forbin
11-18-2003, 11:45 AM
He has a few new jokes that I laughed extremely hard. I can't remember offhand where they were. I gotta see a few more shows to find out who is the primary and who is the secondary cast.

DJ_MENTOS
11-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Cool. I can't wait to see it.

SweetAurora
11-18-2003, 06:56 PM
I'll miss Nick (the Genie). He had incredible wit, and every time I saw that show, he'd make me laugh with another new one-liner. A shining light in that theatre, he was! But good luck to him in "The Producers".
How's the new Jasmine? I'm not sure of the name of the one I've seen every time I've attended the show, but man.....I won't say anything. HAHA!

Love and Laughter!

Forbin
11-18-2003, 08:13 PM
She's ok, she doesn't have the bounce mastered yet (she sorta glides instead of leaps) and she missed a cue in her only song but all of them did missed cues, I'm not trying to point Jasmine out.

Actually she looks like the girl who was the Carpet in Season 1. I wonder if she just moved up.

Well that explains where the fat Genie went, I LOVED his jokes, he just kept batting them out. I even saw him on Sat and Sun with different people and he had new jokes from day to day.../sigh

MrTomMorrow
11-19-2003, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Forbin
Well that explains where the fat Genie went, ...

I thought all the genie characters were "fat" because they wore a fat suit. I remember reading in Disney Magazine that after Michael Eisner saw the show in previews, he felt that the Genie needed to be plumper with a bigger belly, so they gave him "stuffing" to his costume to make him larger around the middle.

Forbin
11-19-2003, 01:17 PM
Nah they aren't all fat. In fact only 'Nick' was. Genie Season 2 is skinnier than Alt Genie Season 1.

You can really tell the difference between the fat and the skinny one. In fact they don't even do the fat jokes when the skinny one is running, he does some joke about 'look how good I am even after 10,000 Years!'. The fat one says 'oh my, tell me the truth, do I look like a B'. That was the first joke I heard on my first day to that show and I will always remember it :)

Is there a place to look up the cast? They used to keep their names on a small display case in front, but they removed it.

DJ_MENTOS
11-22-2003, 10:05 PM
Okay I saw Aladdin today. It was wonderful. I forget the name of this Aladdin but he was pretty good, not whiney like Timothy Murphy. And the Genie, Barry Pearl (http://www.barry-pearl.com/) is great. Today, Nov 22nd was his first day. He had some great jokes: "Me? Free? Wow, think of what that'll mean for the emancipation of genies everywhere? Thats going to be a lot of empty lamps. I know, I'll collect them all, and open a store called Lamps Plus." Or talking about camels, "Do you like 1 hump or 2."
Anyway, the Jafar was not that great, but I had seen him before and he is getting better. He seems too young for the part. Everything else was good, the first show, both carpets worked, even though the on-stage carpet only extended a few feet. Although during the second show, the flying carpet did not work. And no one (Aladdin or Jasmine) were on stage. It was kind of weird.

Great show, nothing dramatically new besides some of the cast. But I definitely reccomend going to see Barry Pearl. He should be there Sat-Wed.

experiment626
11-23-2003, 06:42 AM
Just remember if you hadn't seen in mulitple times before, you would like not even notice some of the suttle difference.

DJ_MENTOS
11-23-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by experiment626
Just remember if you hadn't seen in mulitple times before, you would like not even notice some of the suttle difference.

That's why it's so great to see the show different times, because it's usually a different experience everytime.

experiment626
11-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by DJ_MENTOS
That's why it's so great to see the show different times, because it's usually a different experience everytime.
I agree as long as you do not use this to pick apart how "BAD" something is, because it is different or new. I love to notice things I didn't notice before.

MonorailMan
11-23-2003, 07:56 PM
I agree as long as you do not use this to pick apart how "BAD" something is, because it is different or new.

However, what if we dislike the change, or it ruins an experience that was had before?

"BAD" is in the opinion of the writer.

Wow, Tomorrowland is sure "different", I guess it's not "BAD". :rolleyes:

experiment626
11-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
However, what if we dislike the change, or it ruins an experience that was had before?

Then as you stated it is your opinion. But to sit through an entire experience to find things you do not like, suttle things (one of the twinkle lights on snow white gown in the EP was out, etc.) is just a waste of time, IMO.

MonorailMan
11-23-2003, 10:37 PM
But to sit through an entire experience to find things you do not like, suttle things (one of the twinkle lights on snow white gown in the EP was out, etc.) is just a waste of time, IMO.

While I agree not to look at everything in rose colored glasses, I don't agree that finding something wrong is a waste of time.

As a Beta Tester, there's many things that you have to find wrong with the software being tested. On the park side, fiding things wrong isn't nessarly a waste of time, when you find yourself not in the mood to look at the good (hard to expain, but it happens). ;)

Afterall, look at the way some of the muckrakers changed America in the progressive age. I look at me doing the same type stuff in DL. So I wont be famous, it's fun and enjoyable to ME, and that is what counts in the long run.

However, especially if i'm with DL newbies, I avoid the bad, and always point out the good. Personally, it's hard for me to stike a balance with my mom, strictly because she sees the good. So, I'd say were a nice balence.

Example:
Mom: I like the fresh paint job in Main Street.
Me: But, look at that Cinema sign, yuck. :)

It's an odd relasionship, but we still have a blast at DL. I'm not all bad. ;) :D

experiment626
11-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
While I agree not to look at everything in rose colored glasses, I don't agree that finding something wrong is a waste of time.
It's not finding something wrong that is a waste it is looking for something to be wrong that is. Why would one go to a place they profess they love and then only look for the bad?? Just doesn't make sense to me.

The last time I went to DL was in July. Toontown looked horrible. I did not look to find something wrong with Toontown when I was there but it was there (and pretty hard to miss).

What is a waste is to sit through an entire show, parade, ride and only look to find things wrong/missing/broken. Now if during that show you do happen to find something wrong/missing/broken/different, then that is different.

kflo
11-27-2003, 12:07 AM
in regards to the fat genies, not all were fat, and I wouldn't consider Nick as the fat genie.. As a matter of fact throughout his time there as genie he was losing weight and then The Producers came around... All I know, is Nick is extremely missed by the castmembers(hyperion).