PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Land expansion means hiatus for Disneyland Railroad, Fantasmic

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

AVP
09-24-2015, 04:06 PM
Full story right now on MousePlanet:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/11175/Star_Wars_Land_expansion_means_hiatus_for_Disneyla nd_Railroad_Fantasmic_and_Rivers_of_America

If the Halloween Time, Holiday season and 60th Anniversary promotions weren't enough reason to plan a trip to Disneyland before the end of the year, here's another incentive – January 10, 2016 is your last chance to ride the Disneyland Railroad, see Fantasmic, or enjoy the Rivers of America attractions before they close temporarily to accommodate the construction of Star Wars Land.

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/114355-2/Fantasmic2-111310-AVP.jpg
(http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/114354-1/Fantasmic2-111310-AVP.jpg)
Disneyland will put "Fantasmic" on hiatus starting January 10, 2016 as work begins on the Star Wars Land expansion. MousePlanet file photo.

Earlier today, the Disneyland Resort officially notified cast members at the impacted locations of the coming closures, and then shared details about the plans via a posting on the Disney Parks Blog. According to that announcement, all of the following are set to close at the end of business of January 10, 2016, to allow for construction access to the 14-acre expansion site:

The Disneyland Railroad. and all four stations
The "Fantasmic!" nighttime spectacular
All Rivers of America watercraft:

Mark Twain Riverboat
Sailing Ship Columbia
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes

Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/134346-2/MarkTwain-100911-AVP.jpg (http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/134345-1/MarkTwain-100911-AVP.jpg)
The Mark Twain and Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes will temporarily close January 10, 2016 because of construction of the Star Wars Land expansion. MousePlanet file photo.

Disney says that all of these attractions will reopen in the future. While the announcement did not say how long the attractions will be closed, a spokesperson told MousePlanet the closures are expected to last more than a year.

David Koenig previously wrote about (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/entry.php?1243-Disneyland-Lays-Out-Plans-to-Evict-Critters)plans to permanently close the Big Thunder Ranch complex, which includes the petting farm, barbecue restaurant and "Jamboree" area.

By our rough estimate, more than 300 Disneyland cast members are impacted by the temporary and permanent closures, though Disney would not confirm that number. Disney did confirm that all cast members will be offered transfers to other roles, which is the company's usual practice when employees are displaced due to location closures. It seems to us that this might prove more challenging when dealing with employees in specialized roles, like the petting zoo animal handlers and the Fantasmic stage technicians.

http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/96279-2/ROA2-010510-AVP.jpg (http://www.mouseplanet.info/gallery/d/96276-1/ROA2-010510-AVP.jpg)
The Rivers of America will again be closed to exploration when Star Wars Land construction begins in 2016. MousePlanet file photo.

Disney's announcement did not explain why the Disneyland Railroad and the entire Rivers of America complex must be shuttered during this phase of the construction.
The Disneyland Railroad tracks run behind the Big Thunder Ranch area, land which is used in the Star Wars Land expansion. Imagineers faced a similar problem when they built Toontown outside the existing park berm, but simply constructed an entrance tunnel underneath the Disneyland Railroad tracks. That worked for Toontown, but is not an ideal solution for the already-tricky transition between the wilds of Frontierland and the frontier of unexplored space.

Based on building permits filed with the City of Anaheim, it is possible that Disneyland intends to modify the path of the Disneyland Railroad, perhaps moving the tracks to cut the corner across the Big Thunder Ranch area. This is complete speculation on our part, but may explain the need for a year-long closure.

The closure of the Rivers of America may also be a sign that Disney plans to alter the banks of that waterway, perhaps to make room for the rumored path between Critter Country and Star Wars Land.

When asked, a Disney spokesperson said only that they have nothing to announce at this time.

stan4d_steph
09-24-2015, 04:39 PM
I'll miss the train most I think. Even though I don't always ride it, it does lend atmosphere to everything. A year is a really long time to lose so much, but with such a major expansion it's probably unavoidable. I hope they plan to do maintenance on the attractions that are down in parallel to optimize time.

3Princesses1Prince
09-24-2015, 04:43 PM
I'm wondering two things

1) will they expand F! to nightly that last week?

2) wonder how this will effect crowds that last week?

Mermaid
09-24-2015, 05:28 PM
My poor train loving guy! Our last visit the train was down and we will miss it again this time. We are going to WDW the year after that, so by the time we get back to DLR, he'll be 7.5/8 and probably over trains (is that possible?) on the bright side.... He will probably be way into Star Wars!!

Janis and Aaron
09-24-2015, 06:30 PM
Wow. Talk about mixed feelings. That's a lot of stuff to be down, and for such a long time. But on the bright side, they are apparently going full speed ahead (dare I say, lightspeed?) with the preparations for Star Wars Land, and that's a very good thing.

Pammer
09-25-2015, 07:00 AM
Too bad they can't postpone a week until after the busy Star Wars race/MLK holiday weekend to give more guests a chance to see Fantasmic! or ride the Railroad or Columbia or Mark Twain one last time before their closures.

Malcon10t
09-25-2015, 10:36 AM
Too bad they can't postpone a week until after the busy Star Wars race/MLK holiday weekend to give more guests a chance to see Fantasmic! or ride the Railroad or Columbia or Mark Twain one last time before their closures.I totally agree. Add to it, many use Big Thunder BBQ is one of the few big group dining location and MANY groups use this pre race. A one week later date would have been better.

WeLoveDisney
09-25-2015, 10:55 AM
I am so sad :( Fantasmic is my #1 favorite thing at Disneyland! With a trip to WDW in November, I wasn't planning my next DL trip until doing the Rebel Challenge. I agree with everyone above that they should wait one week :)

sjhanksaz
09-25-2015, 01:14 PM
Last I looked into it don't most trains have reverse

They could put one train on the tracks and run it forwards and backwards

Who is making the decisions over there? Let me talk to them........

wabby1
09-25-2015, 01:39 PM
I'm all for progress at Disneyland....and I support the Star Wars land....exciting! But truth be told, for Disneyland to continue to progress, the closure of some of these iconic attractions are a casualty for Star Wars to become a reality. I'll frankly miss the railroad the most....

DisneyLynn
09-25-2015, 02:23 PM
I know I am in the minority here, but I get sadder and sadder every time I read about the Star Wars expansion, I think it will ruin Disneyland's spirit. I've accidentally gone on and May 4th and it's a whole different vibe. Now hearing the railroad is going to be closed for a year, really sad.

Engine74
09-25-2015, 02:23 PM
The DLRR has been shut down for Splash Mountain construction and for Indiana Jones. I wonder if they will drain the RoA and do its rehab and both Columbia and Nark Twain during this down time. I wish they would put a preview at the Opra House on Main Street so we could have an idea of what is going to happen. Didn't they just replace all the DLRR rail a few years ago? So that is something that they might not be doing during the down time. I still think they are going to dig down the tracks and make the tunnel to Toon Town station longer. One thing is it will be an exciting time see this get built up. other than the top decks of the parking structure I wonder how much of a view from the treehouse will be of the construction.

Tinker44
09-25-2015, 04:12 PM
I know I am in the minority here, but I get sadder and sadder every time I read about the Star Wars expansion, I think it will ruin Disneyland's spirit. I've accidentally gone on and May 4th and it's a whole different vibe. Now hearing the railroad is going to be closed for a year, really sad.

You're not alone in that minority... definitely not. I'm all for SW-Land, I just think they are putting it in the completely wrong place. In the wrong park, come to that.

It's just one more reason to be grateful that we can't afford to go back for a year (at least). I mean, if we DID have a trip planned, I'd be seriously bummed about no Fantasmic, no train and no Tom Sawyers Island (it will always be that to me no matter how much Pirate theme-ing they throw at it).... but it would hardly be a deal-breaker. But you add that to the loss of Aladdin, the loss of the Christmas fireworks/castle-lighting/snow etc... it actually does make it a little easier to head into the Holidays withOUT a trip to our Happiest-Place.

Here's hoping that by HolidayTime 2016 we will see Holiday Fireworks, Castle-Lighting and Fantasmic back up and running. (the train, I can see that one extending a LONG time)

Disneylandfan85
09-25-2015, 05:43 PM
Last I looked into it don't most trains have reverse

They could put one train on the tracks and run it forwards and backwards

I'm told that they did that when Splash Mountain was being built. According to this old website, Iago and Zazu's Attraction of the Week (one of the few good things resulting, indirectly, from the Under New Management version of WDW's Tiki Room):

One of the more interesting effects on Splash Mountain wasn't meant to be a part of that attraction at all, but a different one: The Disneyland and Walt Disney World Railroads! As them as have been know, the train tunnels right through the middle o' Splash Mountain. This works well today, but when the "Wet One" was being built, they couldn't run the trains through. (Afraid of giving too many guests 'Magineering Cooties, I expect.) So what was the railroad to do?

"The Reverse Route" was the answer. Commemorated by special posters under the Main Street Train Station, the Reverse Route operated forwards from Toontown Station to Main Street, then backwards from Main Street back to Toontown! (Make that Videopolis Station instead o' Toontown for Disneyland.) It sorta slowed things down, but at least the railroad fans could get their dose without having to drive down the street to Knotts Berry Farm. The train crews didn't much cotton to it though. As Brer Conductor said to me one day, "It's hard enough to just make it around without some Brer Fool leaning out too far with his camera and getting whacked on a tree. Now I gotta do that looking one way while I'm looking the other way to make sure the track is clear. Plus we're all on half hours since we can only run one train at a time this way." Needless to say, the full circle trip was resumed as quickly as possible, to everyone's relief.

Anyway, I'm disappointed that the Rivers of America and the Railroad will be closed for a while. One possibility for the closures of both was probably more technical than anything: utility setup for the new land.

TulaBelle
09-26-2015, 04:51 PM
My poor train loving guy! Our last visit the train was down and we will miss it again this time. We are going to WDW the year after that, so by the time we get back to DLR, he'll be 7.5/8 and probably over trains (is that possible?) on the bright side.... He will probably be way into Star Wars!!
Hi Mermaid,
My hubby is 50 almost 51 and has not outgrown his love of trains. We have thousands of dollars worth of trains and the stuff that goes with it. If he really lives and breathes trains now, chances are, he's a lifer.

fishgal
09-27-2015, 08:18 AM
I'm told that they did that when Splash Mountain was being built. According to this old website, Iago and Zazu's Attraction of the Week (one of the few good things resulting, indirectly, from the Under New Management version of WDW's Tiki Room):

"The Reverse Route" was the answer. Commemorated by special posters under the Main Street Train Station, the Reverse Route operated forwards from Toontown Station to Main Street, then backwards from Main Street back to Toontown! (Make that Videopolis Station instead o' Toontown for Disneyland.) It sorta slowed things down, but at least the railroad fans could get their dose without having to drive down the street to Knotts Berry Farm. The train crews didn't much cotton to it though. As Brer Conductor said to me one day, "It's hard enough to just make it around without some Brer Fool leaning out too far with his camera and getting whacked on a tree. Now I gotta do that looking one way while I'm looking the other way to make sure the track is clear. Plus we're all on half hours since we can only run one train at a time this way." Needless to say, the full circle trip was resumed as quickly as possible, to everyone's relief.

I remember this, yup the train did run while that was being built. But if memory served it took a lot longer to get a ride on it.

josephfive
09-27-2015, 03:28 PM
I think people underestimate the value of the train in simply moving mass quantities of people. Some of those narrower walkways are going to be smashfests.

5Mouseketeers
09-27-2015, 04:28 PM
You're not alone in that minority... definitely not. I'm all for SW-Land, I just think they are putting it in the completely wrong place. In the wrong park, come to that.

It's just one more reason to be grateful that we can't afford to go back for a year (at least). I mean, if we DID have a trip planned, I'd be seriously bummed about no Fantasmic, no train and no Tom Sawyers Island (it will always be that to me no matter how much Pirate theme-ing they throw at it).... but it would hardly be a deal-breaker. But you add that to the loss of Aladdin, the loss of the Christmas fireworks/castle-lighting/snow etc... it actually does make it a little easier to head into the Holidays withOUT a trip to our Happiest-Place.

Here's hoping that by HolidayTime 2016 we will see Holiday Fireworks, Castle-Lighting and Fantasmic back up and running. (the train, I can see that one extending a LONG time)

I'm not thrilled about the location of SW-Land either.... I think it's in the wrong park. We were planning to go in March 2016 but now have reconsidered our trip. It's such a bummer no train, no Rivers of America etc.

sjhanksaz
09-27-2015, 06:21 PM
I am excited for SWL

lweigel
09-27-2015, 08:36 PM
I am too not thrilled by SWL, esp in Disneyland. I even find it weird seeing marvel characters in the park.

potzbie
09-27-2015, 09:17 PM
I am too not thrilled by SWL, esp in Disneyland. I even find it weird seeing marvel characters in the park.

Agreed.

Disneyland used to be focused on family, with family values.
There is little "family value" in the canon of Star Wars.

Star Wars isn't for children.
Disneyland is child-friendly.

Look at the elements of the Star Wars saga:
Danger; shooting; abandonment; dismemberment; death; destruction.

Q. How can DL implement the Star Wars milieu and dumb it down for children?

Remember the massacre of padawans by Anakin Skywalker?
Remember the amputation of the hand of Luke Skywalker?
Remember the loss of limbs which Obi Wan Kenobi imposed upon Anakin Skywalker?

Q. Are these the scenes you will want to re-live, between Main Street and Frontierland?

Bottom line:
The Star Wars "land" has no place inside the berm of Disneyland.

MidwayManiac
09-27-2015, 09:52 PM
Agreed.

Q. Are these the scenes you will want to re-live, between Main Street and Frontierland?

Bottom line:

I'm not a Star Wars apologist by any stretch. I think you can selectively pick parts of the canon to suit any argument you want to make, including that it's "not family oriented" as you've done. Fair enough, but I don't think Disney has the intention of reliving the scenes you reference.

For a counterpoint: I always find inspiration from Yoda's ending speech at Jedi Training Academy to the Padawon's and what a valuable piece of advice it is for our young people, and people of all ages for that matter: "Resist. Do not give in to the ways of the dark side: fear, anger, aggression, violence." I paraphrase.

Regarding the Rivers of America / Fantasmic! / railroad closure, I feel almost guilty saying this, like I'm gloating ... but man, am I sure glad 2015 - and not 2016 - is an AP year for me.

josephfive
09-28-2015, 05:40 AM
What happens to all those employees for those areas?

sjhanksaz
09-28-2015, 06:01 AM
Agreed.

Bottom line:

Disney shot bambi

Killed the wicked queen

Old hags trying to poison princesses

Ever listened to much of Pirates? We want the Reddi

Frontierland is based on an era where cowboys and Indians killed each other - but we don't really focus on that do we

Haunted mansion is filled with dead spirits and from the elevator room many didn't die real nice.

smd4
09-28-2015, 06:34 AM

One of the more interesting effects on Splash Mountain wasn't meant to be a part of that attraction at all, but a different one: The Disneyland and Walt Disney World Railroads! As them as have been know, the train tunnels right through the middle o' Splash Mountain. This works well today, but when the "Wet One" was being built, they couldn't run the trains through. (Afraid of giving too many guests 'Magineering Cooties, I expect.) So what was the railroad to do?

Anyway, I'm disappointed that the Rivers of America and the Railroad will be closed for a while. One possibility for the closures of both was probably more technical than anything: utility setup for the new land.While the trains did run in reverse at Walt Disney World when Splash Mountain was being built, they did not do so at Disneyland--which would have required going through the Grand Canyon and Primeval World dioramas in reverse--definitely bad show. The railroad was closed.