PDA

View Full Version : Is Disneyland delivering the "Disney Difference"?

Darkbeer
11-16-2003, 05:52 PM
I found this news article, and while the article itself is nothing new, the "Disney Difference" got my attention....

http://www.abqjournal.com/biz/outlook/110466outlook11-17-03.htm

1.) Imagine the big picture— what your company's higher purpose is and what you can do differently from everyone else.

2.) Set high standards of leadership behavior as well as bottom-line goals.

3.) Hire people who buy into your vision and train them well.

4.) Consistently exceed customers' expectations of service.

5.) Create loyalty by meeting needs and touching hearts.

Please note, I added the numbers to ease discussion.

Many folks have noticed many changes at the park in the last few years, is part of the change the fact that Disney has drifted away from these points?

sleepyjeff
11-16-2003, 06:27 PM
1) The Disney company is trying very hard to be like everybody else.

2) Do high standards include making sure all the excutives have automatic doors in their offices, and angled parking spots?

3) What if there is no vision by those doing the hiring? Does cutting the hours of training fall under the catagory of "train them well"?

4) Do you "exceed your customers expectations" by replacing real attractions with static displays and merchandising events?

5) Do you "create loyalty and touch hearts" by resting on the loyalty and touched hearts you already had?

I don't think Disney is doing a very good job at being Disney ( at least not where Disneyland in concerned ).

hefferdude
11-17-2003, 11:12 AM
Interesting article Darkbeer. Thankyou.
Just some personal comments on the main points.

1.) Imagine the big picture— what your company's higher purpose is and what you can do differently from everyone else.

While I generally agree the “Disney Difference” can be a viable/tangible standard, I think has it suffered in the past decade. The reasons have been debated at length on these boards.

2.) Set high standards of leadership behavior as well as bottom-line goals.

This will not reflect well if the final report on BTMRR identifies putting the bottom-line goal ahead and above the safety of guests.

3.) Hire people who buy into your vision and train them well.

Once again, the bottom line taking precedent over proper training. The Columbia incident is a prime example.
Is leadership’s vision truly the “Disney” experience for its guest AS WELL AS it employees?

4.) Consistently exceed customers' expectations of service.

With a few minor negative observations, the rank and file CMs have held to this standard exceptionally on most all our visits
to DLR.

5.) Create loyalty by meeting needs and touching hearts.

If this is to mean guests only, then the boat was missed and out to sea. Guest loyalty starts with employee loyalty which must be earned by leadership.

wendybeth
11-17-2003, 06:21 PM
My husband works for a company that used to follow these precepts. They hired a new CEO about ten years ago, and the company has been sliding downhill ever since. People in our area identified his company as a place that was really great to work for, and where customer service was of upmost importance. Now, it's a shell of it's former self. Labor has been cut to the bone, several locations are in total disrepair- sound familiar? Now, everyone talks about what a great place it used to be, and I don't want to see that happening to Disneyland too. I feel for the employees at Disney, and I hope they can hang in there until things improve. Line # 3 really caught my eye; I think it all hinges upon what the 'vision' is, and who is envisioning it.