PDA

View Full Version : Proposing at Disneyland?

socaldisneyfan
11-16-2003, 03:47 PM
Hi everyone. Can anyone give some suggestions on where the best place to propose is at Disneyland? Also how can you get the characters involved and what will they do? Anyone want to share past stories?

MrTomMorrow
11-16-2003, 04:11 PM
By Snow White's wishing well! Or in front of the castle!

uberfrau
11-16-2003, 04:54 PM
over a brick with both of your names on it in the esplanade!

HeartinWDL
11-16-2003, 08:04 PM
The trick is to ASK a CM or two. They love to make guests happy (most of the time). I find I get lots of things because I ask for them.
You could ask over a romantic dinner at Blue Bayou (SP?) and have the server bring it to the table. Or if you want a nice outside spot in front of the castle off to the left (if you are facing it) there is a pretty spot.

itsinthemagic
11-16-2003, 08:47 PM
I was proposed to over dinner at the Blue Bayou. My now fiancé went above and beyond my wildest expectations by going all out. During the day while I was shopping in New Orleans Square, he snuck away to the Blue Bayou to give them my ring (in an antique Tiffany's silver ring box... you know the domed ones...), a tiara, a glass slipper and crystal sign (from Crystal Arts) engraved with "Will you marry me?". He then had them create a platter with the above ingredients (they added a few napkins folded like flowers, which were beautiful) and present it to me before dessert, but after our dinner. It was amazingly sweet and our pictures are super cute. It was just a wonderful experience!:D

bassett1976
11-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Okay, this is my first post here at mousepad.

I just recently proposed to my girlfriend at Disneyland on October 11, 2003. I planned a long days of clues that lead to rides, attractions and places to eat and rest. Eventually we made our way to Tom Sawyer's Island. In the back of the Island (behind Fort Wilderness) is a great place where few people go and they have a couple of benches. I found it to be a great place to propose without having a whole lot of people around.

I also had a friend who proposed at the Disneyland hotel around where the waterfall is located.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Demigod121
11-17-2003, 08:50 AM
If you can't find a spot to propose on DL proper, you could always propose at the gazebo next to the DL Hotel's Sierra tower. That's where they hold their weddings at. It's always beautiful there - like a storybook setting.

-Demigod

mystycalchyk
11-17-2003, 09:07 AM
lovin' this topic :D

my hubby proposed to me at disneyland too.

we went to mickeys house in toontown, at the end when you get your pic with the big cheese himself we waited then just after the pic was snapped...mickey motionend for me to lean in close like he was going tell me something. he kept motioning me closer and closer.....he then pointed to his scorcerers hat on the table beside us...i looked and he lifted up the hat and there was my ring underneath....they turned off the music the exact second he lifted the hat....we got the whole thing on video. it was a perfectly magical moment for me. :D

hubby had set it all up and planned it for months

cstephens
11-17-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by socaldisneyfan
Hi everyone. Can anyone give some suggestions on where the best place to propose is at Disneyland? Also how can you get the characters involved and what will they do? Anyone want to share past stories?

I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions, but you might also want to check out answers that other people have given in this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19633&highlight=proposing) and this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15472&highlight=proposing).

Mommy2NicknMax
11-17-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by mystycalchyk
lovin' this topic :D

my hubby proposed to me at disneyland too.

we went to mickeys house in toontown, at the end when you get your pic with the big cheese himself we waited then just after the pic was snapped...mickey motionend for me to lean in close like he was going tell me something. he kept motioning me closer and closer.....he then pointed to his scorcerers hat on the table beside us...i looked and he lifted up the hat and there was my ring underneath....they turned off the music the exact second he lifted the hat....we got the whole thing on video. it was a perfectly magical moment for me. :D

hubby had set it all up and planned it for months

Oh that is sooooo cool!!!!!!!!

Demigod121
11-17-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Demigod121
If you can't find a spot to propose on DL proper, you could always propose at the gazebo next to the DL Hotel's Sierra tower. That's where they hold their weddings at. It's always beautiful there - like a storybook setting.

-Demigod

Sorry (DUH) - that should read BONITA tower - NOT SIERRA.

-Demigod
(dumb, dumb, dumber....)

RandomCM
11-18-2003, 12:17 AM
I know for sure .. 100% there is NO way that a character can be there. For legal reasons. They don't want someone to say, "the only reason I said yes was because Cinderella was standing there, so I felt I had to say yes." You know crap like that! I was told that by a LEAD in the Character Dept. Once they say YES then all the characters CAN come up to you, but only after.

mystycalchyk
11-18-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by RandomCM
I know for sure .. 100% there is NO way that a character can be there. For legal reasons. They don't want someone to say, "the only reason I said yes was because Cinderella was standing there, so I felt I had to say yes." You know crap like that! I was told that by a LEAD in the Character Dept. Once they say YES then all the characters CAN come up to you, but only after.

well maybe thats a new rule. because mickey sure was instrumental in my proposal (as posted above)
he was looking at me, shaking his head yes because i was too floored to speak. he then high fived my now hubby and then wiped a tear from his eye.

yeah, i watch the video alot. :rolleyes:

oh and that was almost 6 years ago BTW. :fez:

sgtdilbert
11-18-2003, 10:52 AM
I know that at Disney World, the characters can no longer be involved in the actual proposal. :( They even had proposal packages from the wedding department, but those have been removed. My assumption is that's the same for the left coast. Of course, a call to the wedding department at Disneyland would get you the answer.

s.

socaldisneyfan
11-18-2003, 11:31 AM
Is there any CM's online that can help out?

sgtdilbert
11-18-2003, 11:57 AM
You most certainly can get an answer about the characters and whatever other questions you have from these folks:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/disneylandbrides/

s.

SweetAurora
11-18-2003, 06:48 PM
How romantic! If only my prince would propose to me at Disneyland...I'd be one very happy girl! YEEHA!

Well, I recently had the pleasure of blocking off our castle at Disneyland for such an event--the entire proposal was planned beforehand, and the courtyards in back and in front of the castle were blocked off about 30 minutes prior to the couple arriving. The Special Events team had set up a table at the end of the castle walkway, draped with a lace tablecloth, roses and rose petals, flickering candles, and a glass slipper placed on a pillow. A crowd gathered around the curb to watch as the guy led his unsuspecting girlfriend to the table, past all the security guards (which freaked her out), and sat her down at the table. A violinist played "When You Wish Upon A Star" behind the couple as he proposed and presented her with a huge bouquet of flowers...the whole crowd cheered and clapped, and the couple and their family were given some time in the castle courtyard to talk and laugh about the occasion.
Incredibly sweet, I must say. When I spoke with a Special Events coordinator about it, I heard that the guy had purchased a proposal package--his was probably the least pricey, but the gentleman told me that the proposal can go ALL THE WAY UP TO trumpters on the castle sounding the intended fiance's arrival in Cinderella's glass coach (which is stored backstage for these purposes), fireworks, more food and flowers, etc. But at least it's not as pricey as the weddings....!

On another occasion, my friend was proposed to by her boyfriend at Disneyland towards the end of summer. On an incredibly busy night, her boyfriend led her to the front of the castle in front of the huuuuuge crowd waiting for the fireworks to start. When she said "yes", thousands of people went nuts. And it was all for free--he had asked a couple of Cast Members on the Parade/Fireworks route to do it right before the fireworks started, and they heartily agreed (probably after getting an "OK" from their Lead, as well..)

Any more questions, feel free to ask. And good luck and happy memories! :)

Love and Laughter,
~*~Kalinda~*~

mhrc4
11-19-2003, 10:43 AM
i proposed to my fiance at the Wishing Well after the fireworks and Snow last November 13th, 2002....

:)

eor1222
11-19-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by bassett1976
Okay, this is my first post here at mousepad.

I just recently proposed to my girlfriend at Disneyland on October 11, 2003. I planned a long days of clues that lead to rides, attractions and places to eat and rest. Eventually we made our way to Tom Sawyer's Island. In the back of the Island (behind Fort Wilderness) is a great place where few people go and they have a couple of benches. I found it to be a great place to propose without having a whole lot of people around.

I also had a friend who proposed at the Disneyland hotel around where the waterfall is located.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Hey, that person proposing by the waterfall was ME! My friend beat me to posting before I could share...

We actually spent the afternoon at Downtown Disney (this was before we had annual passes), and after having dinner, we walked over to the big waterfall in front of one of the hotel buildings (sometimes the gate is closed, luckily it was open this time). I had my friend waiting their with his guitar, and I sang my girlfriend-about-to-be-fiancee a song (with other guests walking by and grinning). I then nervously pulled out the ring and proposed. Afterwards, I arranged for some of our closest friends to be at Rainforest Cafe, where we surprised all of them by telling them we were engaged (and asked them to be in our wedding party!)

My biggest advice is this: don't just do what everyone else might expect (personally, I think the whole Snow White well thing gets used too much). Think of something original that fits both your personality and your soon-to-be-if-she-says-yes-fiancee.

hazlnut
11-19-2003, 02:42 PM

Hi. I proposed at Snow White's Grotto and arranged for Mickey Mouse to stop by after she said 'yes'. He hugged her and posed for a picture.

Character greeting request was done at City Hall while she was shopping.

socaldisneyfan
11-19-2003, 05:11 PM
I was thinking about Snow White's well.

What about when the snow falls? Where is a good place I can incorporate that? I know they may be alot of people around. I am prepared for that. But I would prefer if there was a nice spot I could do it at and still have the snow flowing and the music playing.

Cadaverous Pallor
11-19-2003, 07:51 PM
I was thinking about Snow White's well.

What about when the snow falls? Where is a good place I can incorporate that? I know they may be alot of people around. I am prepared for that. But I would prefer if there was a nice spot I could do it at and still have the snow flowing and the music playing. Hmm. You have a few options here. If you want snow actually falling on your head, yes, you willl have to deal with shoulder to shoulder people. It will also be loud, due to music and people.

But I would recommend something different that can still have the snow involved. If you watch the fireworks from the beginning of Main Street, you get a perfect view of the castle/fireworks etc, and when the snow falls, you see it falling on all of main street, with people reacting, and it's far enough away that it really looks like snow. If you do this near the flagpole, people will move toward the snow as soon as it starts falling - this will give you a moment without people surrounding you. If you do it up on the Main Street train station platform, there may be others up there, but not as bad as down on the street, it will certainly be quieter, and the view of Main Street when it snows is awesome.

Speaking of which, I know I've seen roped-off seats up on that platform. Are these seats for sale, or are the VIP or something? I would recommend that, if possible. If not, there's still space up there for you to hang out and watch and propose. :) You can scope it out earlier in the day, too.

Cadaverous Pallor
11-19-2003, 07:52 PM
double post

Morrigoon
11-19-2003, 08:17 PM
CP: what a lovely idea!

The snow is SO romantic!