PDA

View Full Version : The Tomorrowland We'd Like To See

Pages : [1] 2 3

stevemo
09-18-2001, 04:20 PM
I've noticed that during the last 10 years or so Tomorrwland has become more of an extension of Fantasyland, or maybe a Sci-Fi land. I realize that on one hand even Walt and the original designers had problems with this land because the theme of "Tomorrow" is so open and undefinable. On the other hand I find it hard to believe that something like a Buzz Lightyear, Atlantis, or maybe even Star Tours ("A Long Time Ago...") was really what was intended for this Land.

So, I put it to you. When (not if) they re-do Tomorrowland, what would you like to see? Theming, attractions, whatever. I would like to see a focus on the future of our own planet. For example, include as part of the attractions and operations the use of solar power, waste water treatment, renewable agriculture, etc. Not like DCA, where the tortilla is the attraction, but as part of how the overall area functions, but bring this functionality to center stage. An idea that should have been implemented with the last re-do was an Atopia that used electricity, fuel cell, or a hybrid technology, not the yester-technology of straight gasoline.

totbellhop
09-18-2001, 07:45 PM
Tomorrowland is for most people, the best part of a Disney park, but why? I think because the technology and all of that, but, what technology? It looks more like a Sci-fi land like most people say. The atractions should change a bit once in a while:
Space Mountain: Rollercoasters in the dark are very old.
Autopia: what's the deal with gasoline powered cars?
Innoventions: somethings are cool, but Best Buy stores are free to enter and is almost the same thing.
Star Tours: I have to admit it, this is one of my favorite atractions, but is turning old.
Honey I Shrunk the Audience: It doesn't fit in here anymore, only by the new "Shrink ray". I like this one a bit.
Monorail: well at least this is good.
Atro Orbitor: I miss the Rocket Jets, they were higher.
Rocket Rods: at least this one "was" a bit good, it could be good to see them return. But you know, budget cuts...
Cosmic Waves: Cool, when is hot, and functioning.
I hope they do something for this decaying part of Disneyland, at least put something in the old Submarine Lagoon, and in the Rocket Rods/Peoplemover track.

P.S: The Observatron is the BEST.

Ace
09-18-2001, 08:09 PM
I don't think here's much chance of a major change coming to tommorowland in the near future, but since this is about Disneyland, and Disneyland is about dreams, here goes:

I'd like to see a thing on the Old Rocket Rods tracks that offered a slow view of all of Tommorowland...They could be a set of 3 to 4 cars that never stopped... Maybe they could even be called something along the lines of "People-takers"..wait, that name doesn't sound right...
2)I think they should redo innoventions into something that people would actually want to go see, like a.....something. Maybe they could make an updated mission to mars or a Backdraft-type ride set on the moon.
3) I think they should have one or two dark rides, since in my opinion those are just as good as the big scary rides.
4) Tommorowland needs one e-ticket attraction that would draw big crowds and not be taken out the nest year, but itd have to be something new and nver before done, because it is (after all) tommorowland, the land of new things.

SimpTwister
09-18-2001, 10:07 PM
I've said most of this before, but since you're asking... :)

TL should be broken up into two lands: Tomorrowland and Discoveryland/Discovery Bay/Mysterious Island.

Whatever the name, the Jules Verne area would be built in the current Sub Lagoon area, and would include Journey to the Center of the Earth, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and Discovery Mountain, which would be a version of DLP's Space Mountain. Astro Orbitor could also be moved here, since it has the right look.

The Jules Verne Land would transition into Tomorrowland somewhere between the Monorail Station and Tomorrowland Terrace. Here the decor will slowly change from the funky greens and golds of Discoveryland at DLP, to an updated "Sterile White/Nasa in the '60s" look of the previous TL.

The New New Tomorrowland should have an OmniMover ride, whether it's Buzz or a new version of Adventure Through Inner Space.

The CircleVison theatre should reopen with either Timekeeper or a completely new film.

PeopleMover shoud return with updated vehicles.

Space can be painted white again.

HISTA and Innoventions can go away.

I'd love to see Plectu's Fantastic Galactic Revue!!

The main problems for me are Star Tours and Autopia:

Star Tours: Classic ride, loved by many, GREAT queue, but it's showing its age. In a way, ST keeps DL from ever having a truly state-of-the-art simulator, because it would somehow be wrong to have the Star Wars-themed attraction playing second fiddle.

Do they update ST with new hardware (and, of course, software), or do they leave it as is alongside Mission: Space or Stormrider?

I don't have the answer to this one, but in any case DL needs a more modern simulator.

Autopia: Again, classic ride, but... well, sorry, but cars aren't all that futuristic. I might suggest moving Autopia across the esplanade. Cars seem much more closely tied to California than to Tomorrow, and DCA could use another classic, long, family attraction.

This would also free up tons o' space for the Jules Verne area.

One more thing: TL should have some kind of TRON attraction! I'd be happy if the PeopleMover tunnel thing returned, but it really is a property worthy of its own attraction.

Corith
09-19-2001, 09:11 AM
Tomorrowland: The world of tomorrow today.

In this fantastic, future world, corporate moneymen have seen the light at the end of a very dark tunnel. Old, and decrepit, they have passed the running of Disneyland to young visionaries.

As you enter this land, a magnetic levitation rapid transportation system hums overhead. To your left is inoventions. A showcase of corporation technologies being developed to make your life better. To your right is the Star Wars spaceport. Star Speeders leave for every corner of the Galaxy. Favorite destinations include Tattoine, the Moon of Endor, and Hoth.

Walking deeper in the world of tomorrow, shining steel and concrete architecture give this land a surreal, other worldly feel. A large merchant shop opens on our right, and a wall of video screens bombard our senses on our left. Images from all over the universe temp us with visions of other worlds, new products, new services, places to go, places to eat.

Here the land opens up. To our right is a nostalgic simulation of what it was like to travel around our solar system on old-fashioned action/reaction rockets. See images of our solar system as you jet past them at less than super sonic speeds. Hidden beneath the towering mountain is more contemporary means of space travel. Courtesy of Star Command and Buzz Lightyear, you can journey the galaxy in style. No 2d images here.

Moving counter clockwise around this land another chance to journey where no one has gone before. Here you can have the chance to stand on the bridge of a starship and watch the action unfold around you. Have no fear, should trouble arise you can always take a shuttle and return to the spaceport.

At the very back of this mystic land, is the large rotating building detailing the history of how we got to here were we are. In this show, several animated robots tell this history of technology. From its earliest days during the renascence to the discovery of faster-than-light travel.

Along the left most side of this land, is the autopia. Buzzing along the few remaining highways are self-aware, private transportation vehicles. Hop in and take a spin.

As you exit from your robotic car, a large submersible is ready to takes you deep into the worlds oceans. No longer the private tool of the military, deep-water subs are now a common means of transportation for the general public. See the underwater farms and colonies. Visit long forgotten ruins. Venture deep with on the great trenches still forming the earth’s crust.

Tired of our future land? Just above our deep submersible dock is our monorail transportation system, ready to return you to your own time.

Our visit is complete, but before you go, please stop at the spaceport located near the center of this land for a quick bite to eat. Sample food grown from all parts of the galaxy. Try the seaweed steak burgers. Even captain Nemo would have approved. Brought you by the only survivor of the corporate trade wars –
Coca-cola.

Thank you for your visit.

09-19-2001, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Corith
Tomorrowland: The world of tomorrow today.
As you exit from your robotic car, a large submersible is ready to takes you deep into the worlds oceans. No longer the private tool of the military, deep-water subs are now a common means of transportation for the general public. See the underwater farms and colonies. Visit long forgotten ruins. Venture deep with on the great trenches still forming the earth’s crust.

Yes, yes, YES!

Nigel2
09-19-2001, 09:31 PM
Why does everyone seem to be obseesed with the old peoplemover? When it was here I never saw a line for it (just like the bears) then when it was removed people seemed to be up in arms. Plus remember that each Tomorrowland had a different theme, Atomic Age, a World on the Move, and now Imagination and Beyond. It was suppoed to a whimiscal look at how the past viewed the future that partially had to do with the color scheme, along with it being more organic. Also the people mover was ok, but if it was re-opend it would be over a bunch of closed attractions. Dont you people want new and exciting attractions? Not just old ones that are slightly refigured. Why re-open circle vison with another movie that was in another park? Try developing a new attraction, or at least put a good attraction in that isn't a movie. Sorry bout the rant, but I am just sick of hearing people wanting Disneyland to basically go against Walt's everchanging idea.

merlinjones
09-19-2001, 10:32 PM
>>Sorry bout the rant, but I am just sick of hearing people wanting Disneyland to basically go against Walt's everchanging idea.<<

Walt's assumption (and ours) was that things would change for the better. This is no longer true.

Nigel2
09-19-2001, 10:59 PM
Its bad to assume, since everyone wants walt back, but they cant have him. Plus one of the reasons Tomorowland probably wasn't as good was due to the fact that Light Magic didn't make much (if any) money. Less money means less will go into the makeover. And with the lackluster first year performance of DCA it will probably be a while before we see anything really big and new, instead of just makeovers and clone attractions.

Morrigoon
09-19-2001, 11:16 PM
Nigel: the Peoplemover (and the Skyway) ruled. On a long day of Disneylanding, you could always look forward to the short wait, and long, relaxing ride of the Peoplemover. You felt like you were doing something, not just sitting around, yet you were taking a needed break. Also, a 20 minute trip on the peoplemover went a long way toward helping a little one wait for the older sibling to get off Space Mountain. Double whammy when you had the subs too. Part of the appeal of Peoplemover was its relatively short wait. The whole point of a constantly moving "omnimover" style design was that easy loading made for less waiting, so it should be a victory that there was a short wait. I'm all for updating the technology of the ride, but that doesn't mean I want something fast that breaks down constantly because the computer program is so complex it can't even understand itself. Nor do I want the constant noise overhead. As with the peoplemover, modern technology has led to quieter modes of transportation.

Kuzcotopia
09-20-2001, 12:51 AM
Attractions I'd like to see in Tomorrowland:

An update of Space Station X1 to something on the scale of Horizons at Epcot. A journey to a space station, combining different ride types. A realistic ride up in a gravity elevator (a' la Arthur C Clarke, then an omnimover tour of a space station, then a thrilling blast off and view from space of the station and a rapid shuttle decent into the atmosphere, similar to the Mission Space attraction.

Submarine Voyage: Sea Base Alpha. The submarine lagoon would be augmented with a new indoor que called sea base alpha. Guests would embark on a submarine ride with augmented cabin effects. Think Indiana Jones movements underwater (but less violent because of the hydrostatic forces involved). Guests would see animatronic divers and people through the underwater windows of sea base alpha, and some of the line as well. Videoscreens below each portal would allow the guest to see various "views" of the action in the ride and video contact from seabase operations. A Ms. Johnson character is seen clearly through an undersea window as she speaks to us over the video communications link.

Two probe robot submersibles are dispatched alongside us, doing routine scouting and scientific samples when a distress call comes in. Another submarine has been trapped by a cave-in near an undersea volcano! It will take all the efforts of our crew and the robots to save them!

Buzz Lightyear in 3D

Finally a kid-friendly 3-D Disney movie from Pixar. A Buzz-Lightyear adventure.

anyway, that's it for now.

Corith
09-20-2001, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Why does everyone seem to be obseesed with the old peoplemover?

As a stand alone attraction, it was weak. But, that wasn't why it was there. The thrill of the peoplemover isn't what made such a beloved attraction. It was eye candy, just like the canoes or the keel boats. The Peoplemover was there to break up the skyline - to give us something to see, to give Walt's vision of the future that busy, hustling, look and feel.

It was part of the grand design of Tomorrowland and without it, the skyline of our "New" Tomorrowland looks dull, drab, and missing.

Nigel2
09-20-2001, 11:55 AM
But come on, even if they didn't put a thrill ride it there has to be something better than the peoplemover? It would be out of place in the current edition of Tomorrowland since it has little to do with "Imagination and Beyond". The skyway was ok, but it technically wasn't a Tomorrowland attraction since the main unit for it was in Fantasyland, but didn't it have a tendency to shut down when the winds got too high? Anything new would be nice, if it isn't a thrill ride thats fine, but I don't want to see the old item back in place again since it would be kinda silly to have done any renovation at all. An idea for a slower attraction could be like the peoplemover, but when it got to the exit of innoventions it could go fast, possibly spin a little.

stevemo
09-20-2001, 02:29 PM
I realize that the Peoplemover has the power to inspire such passionate hatred and love, but let's focus. What would you like to see in a completely new Tomorrowland? If you like the current steam-punk styling, what would you like to see in the currently empty spaces?

Corith
09-20-2001, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
. . . It would be out of place in the current edition of Tomorrowland . . .

True, but that's because the current final design of the current tomorrowland failed to use the whole land idea.
When the Anti-walt team has gone the way of the Dodo (we can only hope), and TL is again redone, let us hope that the new designs incorporate the same land syngery that Walt used for DL and that the OLC used when they built TDS.

Mr D
09-20-2001, 07:05 PM
If I were CEO I would make some announcements of improvements or new parks now or Disney will REALLY tank, also the public needs to escape and heal wounds so all the more reason to go out on a limb, its a patriotic duty for Disney to participate much like they did during WW2.

DisneyFreak2000
09-20-2001, 08:36 PM
1) A slightly faster People Mover on Rocket Rod tracks with new things to see on the way
2) Alien Encounter in Rocket Rod queue
3) Armageddon (belonged in DCA but could fit here) in Innoventions
4) An update of Star Tours (how about flying to a different planet, but give guests a choice between old and new)
5) A 2000 leagues ride in the laggoon

AliKzam
09-20-2001, 08:39 PM
All of the attraction ideas are great. I understand what Corith was trying to get at with the Peoplemover being eye candy. It was to Tomorrowland what the train is to Disneyland. Plus, it felt like a long ride, and who doesn't want a long ride?
I suggested this once before, though I can't remember which thread. Also I think I thought about it more after I submitted it. I think there should be a ride that you enter on Main St. and exit in Tomorrowland. It should be about the evulution of technology and have LOTS of audio-animatronic figures (because audio-animatronics rule). A Pirates or Mansion for the other end of Disneyland, if you will. The ride should start in the industrial revolution of the 1800s, and work it's way to the (envisioned, not actual-- cause it's more fun) future. Like Carousel of Progress, only an actual ride and not a carousel. Could you imagine soaring through massive gears in factories (Disneyed up, of course) in New York, riding along phone lines and cable car lines in San Francisco, crashing through a computer screen to surf through the internet, and popping up into "the world of tomorrow"? A wonderful world that's peaceful, healthy, and still constantly advancing? I personally want to see that, and maybe they could get John Williams or Randy Newman to score it.
They can take my idea. They can claim they thought of it years ago (even if they really did). I won't sue. Just put it in. Or something just as good.
Anyway, that's what I think. I'm sure they could find a way to squeeze it behind the Grand Canyon diorama that you see on the train.

AliKzam
09-20-2001, 08:42 PM
Quick note: I didn't suggest the Peoplemover thing. I suggested the ride I described. There's a new paragraph there, you just can't tell by the way it's formatted. :)

Nigel2
09-20-2001, 09:41 PM
I don't think a ride that extended visibly into 2 lands would be very attractive, esp. since they would look out of place on Main Street or Tomorrowland since everyone seems to hate the color scheme of Tland and want it white (or another sharp color) again a 1900's time machine style (sugested somewhere) would be out of place, and a different design would look out of place. It could work if there was a switch point where you would get out and do something like a film then get back on. If they made a faster peoplemover on the RR track then the Queue for RR would be needed again since there would be a line, making no room for another attraction. Plus if we did put an Alien Encounter in we probably would hear people complaing that they didn't like the intensity of it since a little stab in the back freaks them out.:)

AliKzam
09-21-2001, 01:08 PM
Well, the entrance to the attraction could be in an old building in Main St. No real change of scenery would be needed. I'm not really sure how an exterior color sheme would affect an attraction (except for Space Mtn. That dingy crud they have on it now is just wrong. They really should've continued painting and painted it completely, shiney gold). If Tomorrowland should be white, paint it white. It could be built around there. Most of the audio-animatronic rides are underground. But it's just a suggestion. Many of us have ride ideas, I'm sure.

Nigel2
09-21-2001, 11:38 PM
I said this in a different thread, but anyway. If we painted space mountain white again then there would be more complaints on this site about how it isn't as clean looking since they paint less now. And even as one said, it turned green once.

Disney Fan Matt
09-22-2001, 08:34 PM
My idea for a new tommorowland:

Star Tours: Update it with a whole new movie, possibly based on one of the more recent films.
Keep the old movie, but renovate it in such a way that it would look more polished and new.
Therefore, you have two movies in one attraction making for a more varied ride experience!

Starcade: Put the exhibit of the American Space Experience where the Starcade is now.

Space Mountain: Change the pre-show. The current show is lovably cheesy, but it just doesn't seem right... Get new cars for the current ride
or
Turn space Mountain into a flying dutchman type rollercoaster
or
Make it more like the Paris Space Mountain.

Innoventions: Make it into a "Spiderman" type ride with a 3-D motion simulator.
I'm sure the imagineers could make up a futuristic theme for it. :)

Autopia: A little more involving theming during the ride would be nice. Other than that it is pretty good right now!

Sub Lagoon: Make it into an underwater themed special effects show. (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea)

Rocket Rods Queue and American Space Experience: Turn this area into Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin.

Now thats a tommorowland worth:
renewing the AP
planning a vacation
making a random visit
:)

Nigel2
09-22-2001, 09:49 PM
AARRRGGHHH, no cloned attraction, we want original ideas for attractions, that is what the job of the imagineer is. Their job isn't to find way to make cloned attractions fit in, but it seems to be the job they have been stuck with. I know there are a few of you out there that do have original ideas, that don't involve clones or ressurections.

Disney Fan Matt
09-23-2001, 04:34 PM
That was only one cloned attraction.
But then again, it doesn't have to be anything close to the Florida version of Buzz Lightyear.
I would actually like it better to have a completely different storyline and scenes.
But I don't see a problem with having the same basic idea of a ride...