PDA

View Full Version : Time for some spoilers: hidden people or just hidden cameras?

MagicB4Money
11-14-2003, 07:24 PM
I recently read the old huge thread about the secrets of Indy and was so fascinated---I was up till 1am. I don't know how to insert a link to tell people how to get to it. Anyway, I was curious if any of the rides still have CM's hidden inside to deal with stupid guests or do they rely entirely on cameras? Are the cameras infrared? Not that I looked really hard, but the only camera I saw last trip was the obvious one on the right side of Main St near the hub. Don't want to compromise safety, but just curious if anyone can share anything interesting.

EandCDad
11-14-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by MagicB4Money
I don't know how to insert a link to tell people how to get to it.

Here's the old Indiana Jones thread. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1269) One of the more interesting threads on the boards.

MrTomMorrow
11-14-2003, 07:38 PM
I think David Koenig in his Mouse Tales books talks a little about the "interesting" things cast members see recorded on attraction cameras. The anecdotes are quite amusing to read.

HBTiggerFan
11-14-2003, 08:29 PM
There is often a CM at the bottom of the final hill lift on Splash Mtn.

MrTomMorrow
11-14-2003, 08:54 PM
Yeah, it's kinda creepy, too, because you don't really expect anyone to be there and it's so dark at that point, but you look to your right and suddenly there's a person there... that always weirds me out a bit.

I personally find it jarring to see a person in a show scene. Splash Mountain is one of the most immersive attractions at the park, nay, resort, and it really breaks the illusion of being immersed in a completely different environment to have somebody in the ride itself who is not a rider.

Omar
11-14-2003, 09:18 PM
When you hit the bottom of the BIG hill? Well where is he/she? I have never seen anyone their. If you can tell me i would be much grateful for you doing so. Tell me where to look once we hit the bottom. I usually have my eyes closed. Haha.

Omar

BJW
11-15-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Omar
When you hit the bottom of the BIG hill? Well where is he/she? I have never seen anyone their. If you can tell me i would be much grateful for you doing so. Tell me where to look once we hit the bottom. I usually have my eyes closed. Haha.

Omar

No, it's before the chain attaches to your log and pulls it to the top for the big final drop. This was an extra safety measure by Disney's legal advisors after a guests jumped out of a log and was hit by an incoming log at Disneyworld's MK. Since this is the point of the Anaheim ride right before a dangerous drop, the CM sits on a chair in the dark to the right side of the chain lift to make sure everyone is "remaining seated" before the most dangerous part of the ride.

MickeyLumbo
11-15-2003, 09:09 AM
when i worked Pirates, we could go into the transition tunnel just before the pirate ship/fort battle scene. there is a dimmer switch to fade the blue/purple lighting... it can go all the way to off. it is easy to stand there. unnoticed by passing boats, as the guests eyes have not adjusted to the darkness.

during the off-season, it was common to send every other boat empty...sometimes, an amorous couple would think they had complete privacy, but, with infra-red cameras and CM hideouts, that was not the case at all.

if thier show was particularly interesting, some of us would applaud them as their boat arrived back to disembark:cool:

Gemini Cricket
11-15-2003, 09:16 AM
Hidden camera:

On Splash, just before you take a turn to see Brer Bear's cave (before the first big drop) there is a birdhouse. From the front it looks like a birdhouse, but if you look at the back of it, as you pass by, it holds a camera.

Every time I ride Splash I wave at the camera. :geek: Twice CMs have stopped the soundtrack to say hello back. :D

ralfrick
11-15-2003, 09:28 AM
Checkout www.hiddenmickeys.org

I won't allow myself to spend time trying to spot those HMs, but the "Fun Facts" section has a lot of stuff like this.

MonorailMan
11-15-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by BJW
Since this is the point of the Anaheim ride right before a dangerous drop, the CM sits on a chair in the dark to the right side of the chain lift to make sure everyone is "remaining seated" before the most dangerous part of the ride.

FYI: The CM also has a wall-mounted control if he/she needs to stop the ride, and/or turn on the ride non-show lights! :) :D

RickW
11-15-2003, 01:06 PM
This has been one of my favorite things to do at Disneyland since I was a kid: As you leave the station at POTC there is a shack above you with a couple of CMs. As you pass under the shack, look up and behind you through the back window of said shack. You can see multiple monitors showing the video feeds from the hidden cameras throughout the ride.

BTW, does anyone else think that the firefly effect and the cannonball effects are not as good as they were years ago? The fireflies don't seem to blink as much or fly as randomly as they used to. And the cannonballs just look like water over an amber lightbulb now. I think they used to be some sort of pyrotechnic effect which left a sulfur smell in the air.

tombgolfing
11-15-2003, 03:09 PM
We will be at Millionaire on Sunday, Nov. 16th.. Hope to see you there!

Tom and Karen..and Mikey.