PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular to be replaced by Frozen musical in 2016

Pages : [1] 2 3

AVP
09-09-2015, 08:17 PM
Stop me if you've heard this before: "Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular" will close early next year at Disney's California Adventure, and be replaced with a musical based on one of the most popular animated features of all time.

Only it's not 2009, and we aren't talking about "Toy Story: The Musical". In the 2015 version, Aladdin will close January 10, 2016, and will be replaced "In Summer" by a new Frozen musical.

Is it time for Aladdin to move along? Is Frozen the right property to replace it, or is there another show you'd rather see at the Hyperion Theater? And when, oh when, will they add restrooms to that lobby?

Read the press release and join the discussion:

Disney’s blockbuster musical “Frozen” (http://frozen.disney.com/?CMP=SOC-DPFY15Q4AllNewFrozenInspiredStageMusicalComingtoDC Ain20160001) has become a true phenomenon around the world and soon, the story of “Frozen” will come to spectacular life in an all-new theatrical production in summer 2016 at the Hyperion Theater at Disney California Adventure (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/destinations/disney-california-adventure/?CMP=SOC-DPFY15Q3AllNewFrozenInspiredStageMusicalComingtoDi sneyCaliforniaAdventureParkin20160002) park.

http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/media/disneyparks/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Fffllll931091-613x593.jpg

(http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/media/disneyparks/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Fffllll931091-613x593.jpg)

This new show will immerse you in the world of “Frozen” as never before, with elaborate costumes and sets, stunning special effects and surprising scenic transformations.
“Our stage production of ‘Frozen’ will stay true to the heart and soul of the film,” says Dana Harrel, Portfolio Creative Entertainment Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering. “Anna (http://frozen.disney.com/anna?CMP=SOC-DPFY15Q4AllNewFrozenInspiredStageMusicalComingtoDC Ain20160002) and Elsa (http://frozen.disney.com/elsa?CMP=SOC-DPFY15Q4AllNewFrozenInspiredStageMusicalComingtoDC Ain20160003) will carry the audience on an emotional journey that includes show-stopping production numbers and a few unique theatrical twists. We can’t wait for everyone to see it!”

With a new show set to open at the Hyperion Theater, it’s time for Aladdin to make his final wish and set the Genie free, as the cast of the award-winning “Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/entertainment/disney-california-adventure/disneys-aladdin/?CMP=SOC-DPFY15Q3AllNewFrozenInspiredStageMusicalComingtoDi sneyCaliforniaAdventureParkin20160003)” prepares to take its final curtain call on January 10, 2016 after nearly 14,000 shows.

http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/media/disneyparks/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/dad930344-613x344.jpg

(http://parksandresorts.wdpromedia.com/media/disneyparks/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/dad930344.jpg)

“Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular” has taken millions of guests wonder by wonder since its debut in January 2003, bringing with it such fantastic theatrical delights as Aladdin’s entrance on the elephant, a magic carpet ride over the audience, an original song by Alan Menken and the ever-evolving, tour-de-force performance of the wise-cracking Genie. To this day, the incredible talent of the show’s captivating cast has made every turn a surprise, every moment red letter.

“Thanks to our amazing cast and the many, many fans, ‘Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular’ has enjoyed a longer run at Disney California Adventure park than we could have ever imagined,” said Kris Theiler, Vice President of Operations for Disney California Adventure park. “Today, we are excited to share more exciting news about another story that will soon come to life for guests at the Hyperion Theater. With larger-than-life musical numbers, wondrous scenery and lovable characters, ‘Frozen’ will begin entertaining guests in 2016.”

“Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular” is scheduled to be performed several times daily through January 10, 2016, so fans of the show still have plenty of opportunities left to catch a magic carpet ride to Agrabah. Additionally, the Broadway production of “Aladdin (http://movies.disney.com/aladdin?CMP=SOC-DPFY15Q4AllNewFrozenInspiredStageMusicalComingtoDC Ain20160004)” continues its successful run in New York. Stay tuned to Disney Parks Blog (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/) in the coming months for details on how we plan to celebrate the Disney California Adventure park favorite before, as Genie says, he’s “outta here!”

GrannyGear
09-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Well, I will not be going to see it

Mom2
09-09-2015, 08:22 PM
No! My family will truly miss this show! Where can we start a petition?!?! :crying::crying::crying:

Tireddad
09-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Aw man, I was hoping for Star Wars, The Musical

candles71
09-09-2015, 08:42 PM
NO, NO, NO, No, no......
While we love Frozen,
LEAVE ALADDIN ALONE.
It is our never miss item.

soccerlady16
09-09-2015, 09:06 PM
My ENTIRE family enjoyed Aladdin. But we are ready for a change.

But why FROZEN??? DLR is saturated in frozen stuff which targets the under age 10 girls mostly.

How about the rest of us?
Aladdin appealed to all ages.

adriennek
09-09-2015, 09:10 PM
My sons love Aladdin. We've visited several times with friends who have daughters.

I'm not sure I'll be able to convince them to see Frozen.

I'm not sure they'll let it go and want to watch.

I wonder if they'll be filling the theater. Is Frozen still that much of a thing? It was popular. It was a good story. But... well I guess we may find out.

Mermaid
09-09-2015, 09:19 PM
As someone who has a Frozen aged daughter.... I think this is crazy. There are already two other Frozen shows. My first graders are basically over it, if anything, mildly interested. Can it have the repeatability that Aladdin does? Time will tell I guess. Maybe Olaf will be the new Genie? That's the only way I see it catching.

lifeisgood
09-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Love, love, love Aladdin at DCA. Will miss it terribly. It's a must-see for us. Just saw it Sunday afternoon and loved Genie's shout out to the runDisney crowd. His last joke of the show (while riding the magic carpet): "This would have made running the half marathon a whole lot easier today!"

So, will we get a new muppet show back in the muppets theater when Frozen takes over the Hyperion? Surely, we don't need two Frozen-themed live shows in DCA (three shows in the whole resort if you count the storytelling show at the Royal Theater in Fantasy Faire at Disneyland. (Ooh, maybe we can get Tangled and Beauty and the Beast back there, too!). Or is this just wishful thinking?

olegc
09-09-2015, 09:33 PM
to me - these days I see so many parents pushing their kids to do frozen stuff - as if to say "i know you like it, so lets go, it says Frozen on it" without really knowing if the child is really interested. Aladdin to me is such a good fit because it has the story, songs, big numbers, and relevant/timely jokes provided by Genie which keeps older kids and adults chuckling along and wanting to see it. its kind of fresh if you come back to it every few months. Frozen won't have that. This to me has Iger all over it - or at least someone at Disney management trying to appease him when he says "more Frozen". The stuff still must be selling if they keep putting more into the parks. I just wonder how much longer you can keep calling it Hollywoodland when its all tied to frozen (yes, calling it here, the Frozen ride from Epcot Norway will be put in where Monsters Inc is - or a facsimile thereof).

A Shellie Day
09-09-2015, 10:24 PM
:( This is really disappointing. Everyone I know loves Aladdin.

At the rate they're going, they may as well just bulldoze both parks and replace it with more Frozen!

I really liked the movie, but enough is enough.

cstephens
09-09-2015, 10:26 PM
It would be nice to have something else other than Frozen, but I guess I'm not surprised. Aladdin has been there too long. The last time I saw it, I thought it wasn't very good. The quality of the performers wasn't what it was when the show was in its first couple years. They've been due for a change for a long time. It's too bad the Toy Story thing didn't work out.

olegc
09-09-2015, 10:28 PM
Please give us back some sort of performance of Tangled. Somewhere at the resort.

cstephens
09-10-2015, 06:31 AM
Please give us back some sort of performance of Tangled. Somewhere at the resort.

I'm hoping that once Frozen goes into the Hyperion, they'll have the storytelling at Fantasy Faire go back to being two other stories. I liked the Tangled story there. Maybe a new Merida story? That would be cool.

And with the new TV show this year, maybe they'll give the Muppets their theatre back.

oregontraveler
09-10-2015, 06:39 AM
I'm hoping that once Frozen goes into the Hyperion, they'll have the storytelling at Fantasy Faire go back to being two other stories. I liked the Tangled story there. Maybe a new Merida story? That would be cool.

And with the new TV show this year, maybe they'll give the Muppets their theatre back.

Agree with both. Although I would also like to see a NEW Muppet film, altogether.

sjhanksaz
09-10-2015, 07:06 AM
Let it GO!

As for me I am all Frozen out

bumblebeeonarose
09-10-2015, 07:31 AM
This is disappointing. I like Frozen just fine, but I LOVE Aladdin. The musical is very well done and the movie is great too. I also agree that it appeals to more people as Frozen is one of the princess obsessed ideas. It would have been better to put in Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King, something that is more spectacular. But we'll see. I just have a hard time believing that Frozen will be as popular as Aladdin was. The only good news is, it's not likely to last another 14 years. They'll have to replace it sooner rather than later. Glad we got a pretty good seat the last time we were there. If I'd known the last time was the last time...

I also hope it means the other Frozen offerings will melt away and be replaced. I actually really like the show at DL, but would like to see Rapunzel and Belle return. If the three rotated, that would be fine with me. The Frozen sing-a-long was only, eh okay. But then again, so was Muppets. It would be nice to see a newly updated and refreshed Muppets based on the new movies/show.

carolinejay
09-10-2015, 07:51 AM
Frozen is in Paint the Night.
Frozen is in Disneyland Forever.
Frozen is in World of Color.
Frozen took over the Fantasy Faire Theatre.
Frozen has a meet & greet in DCA.
Frozen has a stage show sing-a-long thing in DCA.
And now, a new musical in DCA.
Not to mention the merchandise everywhere.

Enough! There are so many great stories & ideas that Disney has access to, why not tell a story that hasn't been told in the parks before? Disneyland & DCA are great mediums for new ways to convey the Disney story... let's put Frozen to rest and do something new.

MadasaHatter
09-10-2015, 08:10 AM
Change is important. I think Aladdin stayed on for so long because of the amazing amazingly clever comedic thrust of the GENIE being anachronistic in the show allowing for moderne jokes. Could not be beat. Nothing will top that. BUT.......

All shows must close and it has had an amazing run. Go out on a HIGH NOTE also.....I don't think it would ever truly wane but I think IN SUMMER will sell out for years....even to the point of FPs. The title indicates it will be a NEW musical which would be very very cool. Hopefully the arc will be even better than FROZEN so it could be really really cool. I am ALWAYS excited for new things. I am also going to make a concerted effort to see ALADDIN more because it was fun and I will ....yes......miss it. Of course....I am mad.

MadasaHatter
09-10-2015, 08:15 AM
Frozen is in Paint the Night.
Frozen is in Disneyland Forever.
Frozen is in World of Color.
Frozen took over the Fantasy Faire Theatre.
Frozen has a meet & greet in DCA.
Frozen has a stage show sing-a-long thing in DCA.
And now, a new musical in DCA.
Not to mention the merchandise everywhere.

Enough! There are so many great stories & ideas that Disney has access to, why not tell a story that hasn't been told in the parks before? Disneyland & DCA are great mediums for new ways to convey the Disney story... let's put Frozen to rest and do something new.

I am not a big fan of FROZEN either.....but I think the HYPERION show will see the end of the SING A LONG for sure and hopefully like BBonaRose said it will have a new show at the theatre at Fantasy Faire also. I think that it is the most popular movie ever for Disney so I don't think we will not NOT see it. Brace yourself for the storm!!!!

I could be wrong....I am mad.

AJDerrick
09-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Frozen is not what I would pick to replace Aladdin. I'd love to see Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, or even a compilation show like When You Wish. Honestly, I'd really love to see Newsies but I doubt that would connect with the youngest guests.

But, ok. Lets entertain the idea of Frozen going in there. If we remodel the lobby to include restrooms could you also plan to have the meet and greet in the lobby in between shows? Or even on stage, how cool would those photos be??? Get the space back in the Animation building for something else. I can't imagine them keeping the sing-a-long next door, so bring back a new Muppets movie. And get Tangled and Belle back at the Fantasy Faire. If we get Frozen OUT of 2 or 3 other areas of the park that would be nice.

3Princesses1Prince
09-10-2015, 08:42 AM
We haven't made time to see Aladdin in years. We will definitely have to go when we are there the first week of January.

I think Disney may burnout its guests with the frozen overload. I have a feeling this won't be nearly as popular as Aladdin. I also think those of us with "Frozen obsessed children" will see it once and move on.

missm
09-10-2015, 09:20 AM
Well Aladdin was on my list of a maybe for our next trip, I'm moving it up to a definitely now. We've skipped it before to go on rides but I've heard such great things about it I feel like we need to go. I am actually excited for a Frozen musical and was just talking about it a few days ago. I was talking about it being a traveling Broadway play though, not something permanent at DLR. For us it is perfect (right now) because we have a little girl that is obsessed with Frozen, but I know that will change. I like the idea of having a Tangled show, I do think they need something that appeals to the majority and not just something that typically appeals to little girls.

corona
09-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Hmm ... I looked for this on disneylandnews.com, but there is no news release related to the Aladdin show.

Disneyphile
09-10-2015, 09:52 AM
I'm surprised they don't just convert an entire land to Frozen.

Overkill. Over. Kill.

It's quickly becoming the new "It's a Small World" visual earworm.