PDA

View Full Version : Big Band music

Jeff the Disney Fan
11-14-2003, 11:15 AM
Hey a question for all of you weekend dancers at DL. What is the main type of dance that you do? I'm guessing it's west coast swing. I'm currently taking west coast swing here in Indiana. I would love to join in at the Carnation Plaza when I visit in 2005. Thanks for your help!

Jeff

Morrigoon
11-14-2003, 11:56 AM
Actually Lindy Hop is the big dance around here. Personally, I'm terrible at Lindy and can only really do basic East coast (jitterbug). But yeah, better learn Lindy, my friend :) (I'm sure you can find some west coasters too though, there's a fair bit of that around here, especially if you're a fan of DJ Patty Straight - anyone else miss her DJing at Memories?)

bandboy1985
11-14-2003, 01:15 PM
east coast basic is still really popular, just since you can learn it and some fun stuff in half an hour, and then hit the floor and show it off.

some west coast, some shag, some jitterbugging. i've seen charleston really really big down here, though. nobody does it in sf, and everyone does it here- high kicks and all.

so work those splits and lifts! :D

Morrigoon
11-14-2003, 02:23 PM
Charleston can be worked really easily into east coast, lindy, balboa, etc. I know my dance partner and I really like doing Charleston when we're doing east coast.

bandboy1985
11-14-2003, 05:15 PM
yep. 'tis fun! :fez:

ralfrick
11-14-2003, 06:56 PM
I'm planning to check out the band on our visit next weekend, and was wondering if they mix up the song list or play the same set?

Jeff the Disney Fan
11-15-2003, 07:55 AM
Well I am now re-thinking my west coast swing and now thinking of taking some east coast swing as well. I'm guessing Lindy and the Jitterburg are essential as well. Not having done East coast before I'm a little nervous to give it a whirl. :)

But I'll get over that and have some fun with it. I really appreciate the help you guys have given me. How many of you are regular dancers at DL? I think they have a big band one night and latin music another on the weekends? Correct me if I'm wrong.

thanks,

Jeff the Disney NUT

Not Afraid
11-15-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Jeff the Disney Fan
I think they have a big band one night and latin music another on the weekends? Correct me if I'm wrong.

The Latin only goes on in the Summer - on Friday nights. We've done that quite a few times and had a blast. They have Mambo lessons twice during the evening, so all can get into the latin spirit.:D

lindyhop
11-15-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Jeff the Disney Fan
Well I am now re-thinking my west coast swing and now thinking of taking some east coast swing as well. I'm guessing Lindy and the Jitterburg are essential as well. Not having done East coast before I'm a little nervous to give it a whirl. :)

East coast (another name for jitterbug) is the easiest style and works well for faster music though some of us get a little snobby about it when we learn the other styles.:D I loved Lindy Hop once I got the courage to try it. Now I'm working on West Coast because so many men I dance with like that style and I thought I should stop making it up as I go along.;)

By 2005 you should have all the moves so save me a dance!:D

(Now if I can just find someone to practice shag and balboa with me...)