PDA

View Full Version : Casey Jr, whats up with that?

MotorBoat Cruiser
11-14-2003, 08:43 AM
Ok, here's the deal. I've been to Disneyland many many times. Over a hundred probably. In fact, I'm going today. As far as I know, there is only one ride in the whole entire park that I have never been on. (well, two if you consider the Columbia but that will change today.)

I have never been on the Casey Jr. railroad. I've spied it since I was 5 (in my 30's now) but my parents never wanted to go on it, and my friends would rather have root canal than ride it. Why is this? Is it merely a little kids ride? Will I be bored to tears? Will I be laughed at on line for being an adult? Am I too big to ride it?

So many questions. I do notice that there is almost always a line for it, so it can't be that dismal. Can anyone fill me in on this stuff.

Gratefully appreciated!

fairytalelover
11-14-2003, 08:47 AM
Great White Shark and I love Casey Jr. It is very fun. But the best time to go is at night. It's more fun then with all of the lights on and the village lights. Also, this makes a big difference...........you have to sit in the last seat of the caboose facing backward. We have tried sitting in the other seats, for some reason this makes the ride to sit in the back facing backwards. We even stand in line and if we see that somebody else took that back seat, then we ask if we can wait until the next time and the CMs are always very nice about it.

Cadaverous Pallor
11-14-2003, 08:59 AM
The caboose facing backwards is my favorite spot too. The monkey cage is a close second. :)

Much like the Carousel, this is one of those rides that's for two groups of people - people with kids, and people that will always be young at heart. Disney fans are usually in one of these groups. I love simple, timeless rides like the Carousel, Small World, and Casey Jr. They make me smile.

Your friends probably think they're too cool or to mature for a kiddie ride (what ages are we talking here, anyway?). If you like the other rides I mentioned, you'll like this one.

As for being "too big", no. If you are a large/tall person, you may want to avoid the monkey cage. But other than that you'll be fine. Laughed at? This is Disneyland! :D

Go for it - you're missing out!

Doodle Duck
11-14-2003, 08:59 AM
Rule #1
Leave your 'cool' at the gate.
Rule #2 Repeat #1.

Casey Jr. is a nostalgic dream ride. For those of us who grew up riding miniature trains and for railroad fans everywhere Casey Jr. is a great little ride and btw one of my favorite rides at DL.

It used to be a better ride as the Engineer would loosen it up toward the end and careen around the final turns at a decent clip...but some whiners complained and now for 'safety reasons' the brakes are on for the most part.

It's a kiddie ride to be sure but as long as adults and teens can knock off the posturing about how 'adult' they are, it's an enjoyable ride around the miniature story book settings.

And YES...night time is the best time.

Disneyphile
11-14-2003, 09:01 AM
I love Casey Junior! :fez:

And I totally agree that the rear caboose seat is the best. :)

MotorBoat Cruiser
11-14-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Doodle Duck
Rule #1
Rule #2 Repeat #1.

LOL, luckily, there isn't anything at disneyland that I feel I am "too cool for". I've just never heard anything about this ride, either pro or con, and after so many years of people going "Oh, thats just a kiddie ride", I started to wonder.

I'm going to ride it tonight and try for that coveted backseat! I'm glad I posted this :)

cstephens
11-14-2003, 09:38 AM
I haven't been on it lately, but I like Casey, Jr. We usually ride in the last car, with me facing forward. Can't do the facing backward thing. It's especially nice if I want to see the sights of Storybookland but the Storybook ride is too long. It's also good for riding right as the holiday stuff is going up. I love the holiday stuff in Storybookland, and from Casey, you can see if they're up, which would necessitate a closer view by riding Storybook.

GreatWhiteShark
11-14-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Doodle Duck
Rule #1
Rule #2 Repeat #1.

Words to live by when going to DL.:)

Casey Jr. is a classic ride, you can never be too cool or to anything to ride or enjoy it.

I don't care how old or how hideously ugly I get :D I will always ride all the rides at DL.

merlinjones
11-14-2003, 10:31 AM
Casey Junior is one of my favorite rides and I'm a 6 foot adult male.

It's a great way to see StorybookLand. Fun... relaxing... scenic. Many of the attributes that Skyway and PeopleMover used to have (RIP).

daannzzz
11-14-2003, 01:52 PM
The first time I rode this I was quite surprised to find a lift hill along the back side. I had never really paid attention. While it doesn't go really fast off of the lift hill it certainly went faster than I expected!

Lost Boy
11-14-2003, 05:33 PM
When the King Arthur Carousel first arrived at Disneyland and was being prepared for opertaion on Opening Day, it had horses and other animals as well as bench seats (4). They replaced the animals with horses from other Carousells and took out bench seats. Those bench seats are still in the Park today. They are the third and second to last "cars" on the Casey Jr Trains. Look at them and you can still see the elaborate scroll work that is still there. All they did was mount them on train trucks so they would ride on the rails.

MrTomMorrow
11-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Wow, what neat trivia!

Actually, now that I think about it, I've never been on Casey Jr. I'm definitely going to have to try it out next time. I guess I always just pass right by it because it's near Dumbo, which I rarely go on.

EandCDad
11-14-2003, 07:33 PM
Our girls enjoy Casey Jr., so we end up riding it quite a bit. We rode it in the evening this week and it's a really nice view of Storybook Land, as has been mentioned. I would also reiterate that you shouldn't ride in the cages if you're a big person, as it can feel a bit cramped. A fun little ride. Warning....the load time on this ride can be long if there is a line and they are only running one train. It's a fun ride, but nothing I'd wait an hour for.

lisap
11-14-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
Our girls enjoy Casey Jr., so we end up riding it quite a bit. We rode it in the evening this week

And we sat in the "Carousel" cars :). Thanks, Lost Boy--very cool trivia.

disneymeimei
11-14-2003, 08:27 PM
Remember, if you do ride in the monkey cage car, you have to behave like a monkey!! My ee-es' and oowowws' have embarrassed my children to no end, but it is sooo fun!!

MotorBoat Cruiser
11-15-2003, 08:59 AM
Well, I finally rode the Casey Jr. It was really cool. The only problem was that we were some of the last people to get on and got sort of stuffed into one of the cages. It was a little cramped, as others have mentioned, but still a cool new experience!

Unfortunately, we didn't act like monkeys. Had I known, we surely would have. :)

Thanks for the trivia, by the way!